Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hatteras to get another new bridge ... this one sucks.

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hatteras to get another new bridge ... this one sucks.

Postby grigorib » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:38 am

Yup. The road north of temporary bridge looks just like it’s about to be breached by a next stronger hurricane. A safe road is great thing and it’d be awesome to have a rollable solution for future years.

What is not great that island is short of better launch spots and for some strange reason is importing foreign labor and materials while trying to play conservative card.

Play it conservative then boys - bring down environmental regulations which don’t allow you to to turn ugly mush and mosquito paradise of your own soundfrint backyards into pretty launches.

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 pm

The jug-handle bridge is a compromise solution with the environmental group that had blocked replacement of the Bonner Bridge for many years. That group would have preferred a causeway in the sound that completely circumvents Pea Island, but both sides had to make compromises to settle litigation and get the Bonner Bridge replacement project moving. The compromise will eliminate sections of existing Hwy 12 at the two vulnerable spots that you mention: (1) just south of the existing Bonner Bridge and (2) S-Turns (including Mirlo Beach), which, as you note, are always susceptible to flooding and erosion.
As I thought. EnvironMENTALists are the cause of this. I look forward to the unintended consequences of this, like most environmental policies.

Bird and bat deaths caused by windmill power.
Electricity brownouts and blackouts in California.
Clear cutting of forests as a POLICY by the National Forest Service in the 1990's as they NFS actually built roads to let logging companies access mountain forests.
Shoot, shovel, and shut up as advice to farmers when they find an endangered species on their property as a result of the Endangered Species Act and the EPA.
Biofuel alcohol mandates increasing the amount of farm land that America needs, so we have fewer forests.

What stupid idea will they think of next?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 am

SaulOhio wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 pm

As I thought. EnvironMENTALists are the cause of this.....
:lol: :lol: Saul, my friend, "the cause" is continuing ocean overwash and resulting erosion of the island. It goes with the territory when we lead life on a sandbar. :thumb:

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 am

:lol: :lol: Saul, my friend, "the cause" is continuing ocean overwash and resulting erosion of the island. It goes with the territory when we lead life on a sandbar. :thumb:
Environmental groups don't want to prevent erosion. They just want to prevent or even reverse development. They don't want us going there at all. The "compromise" got an entire area of Hatteras ruined for kitesurfers.

One of the unintended consequences of that may be more building of houses elsewhere. There's a whole area of Wind Over Waves that has a road and infrastructure put in, and a lot of lots that have been vacant for years.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wind+ ... 75.4712281

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:32 pm

The island is a massive sandbar. It moves and so do species who live on it and come back to it.

Cranes are getting closer to the sound and it's too late to blame and regret but memories of endless weeks and countless hours for everyone who rode from Pappy Ln and north of it will outlive bitterness and pain of not being to ride there ever again.

I've lost place which felt like home. A place which challenged, excited, surprised, frustrated and amazed. All these wonderful years

Goodbye Rodanthe. Hugs and piece to all of you folks. Goodbye.

Blake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks and Presqu'ile
Favorite Beaches: Mirlo Beach in Hatteras
Style: Old school
Gear: Board Riding Maui and Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0

Postby Blake » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Any updates from the locals on this?
The bridge, not the misguided comments from an unnamed poster.

Blake

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:49 pm

I was just about to book a house on Cross of Honor dr in the northern most neighborhood in Rodanthe till I heard about the bridge. Thank god I didn't book, the bridge construction is well underway and completely surrounds the neighborhood, not to mention the constant pounding of machines driving the pylons..I ended up finding a house about a mile south close to Real..
Arrive april 6th

This is a the southern end of the bridge just a 1/4 mile from Cross of Honor dr...

The sound does not kick in till around 1min...…..how would you like to listen to this all day in your vacation home???? torture

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Frequent Flyer on Pappy Lane, great spot to stay and kite. Unfortunately no more kiting there by the looks of things.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 pm

matth wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:49 pm
I was just about to book a house on Cross of Honor dr in the northern most neighborhood in Rodanthe till I heard about the bridge. Thank god I didn't book, the bridge construction is well underway and completely surrounds the neighborhood, not to mention the constant pounding of machines driving the pylons..I ended up finding a house about a mile south close to Real..
Arrive april 6th

This is a the southern end of the bridge just a 1/4 mile from Cross of Honor dr...

The sound does not kick in till around 1min...…..how would you like to listen to this all day in your vacation home???? torture

Matt.....I used to rent that house in your picture for 2 weeks each spring and 2 weeks each fall. THE best house on the entire island for sound access with good grass rigging and even a close deeper area for foiling and 6 bedrooms. Also affordable. We were in that house in the fall when they were driving in those pilings and it was just insanely loud and we could actually feel the house shake. We could even feel it in the water if standing on the ground.

The placement of that bridge is insane, but nothing can be done now.

Bob

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Do the home owners get any sort of compensation for the loss of property values? Who would pay the previous value with a bridge surrounding your property?

Return to “Kitesurfing”