Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Splicing how to guide

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Splicing how to guide

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Mad_dan wrote:Just snapped a line on my core sensor 2 bar and on my bridle line. Not because of wear. Can, an should it be spliced or should I buy new lines. Dont want to alter the lengths with extra line if I dont have to. What would you do? Any tips appreciated....
any splice will require adding extra line as a splice will usually use up about 6 to 12" of line. Just replace it. besides if it broke for reasons other than wear you probably don't want to use the rest of that line either... in fact I would consider changing the one on the other side of the kite as well.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Mad_dan wrote:Just snapped a line on my core sensor 2 bar and on my bridle line. Not because of wear. Can, an should it be spliced or should I buy new lines. Dont want to alter the lengths with extra line if I dont have to. What would you do? Any tips appreciated....
mad dan this is like page 12 of how to's on splicing. go back to page 1 and read that stuff, it will tell you everything you want to know. Unless you want us to I dunno repeat everything we said at the beginning all over again? Maybe it's too much reading? The splice you want is the end to end I would do an end to end splice with a lock stitch. By the way I know I say at the beginning of this thread that I don't like the brummel I have since changed my mind over the past 6 months or so the brummel is fine though you won't use the brummel to fix a snapped line you'll use an end to end splice. Don't forget to cut off at least a couple feet of the snapped line until you get to the good part. Of course you'll need some spare line to splice in to fix this too.

Mad_dan
Medium Poster
Style: Bigair and airstyle
Gear: Core XR4 13.5
Core GTS3 11m
Core GTS4 9m
Core XR 6m
Tronic.
Naish mega
Airrush slayer
Airsusv sector
Crazyfly cruizer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mad_dan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:17 pm

I hear you Edt ;-), I actually read many of the pages. But I wasent sure to either buy new lines or fix the old ones. Is it riski business? I was also wondering if type of line might make a difference. I know that my core lines is quite different from my older nobile lines.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:41 pm

as long as you have 12 strand it's ok if it's a little bit different, so yeah, you can mix and match it will work. If you are asking questions like this maybe you should just buy a new line set. I don't care too much if I snap a line, just means I have to swim in. I do have line sets I trust more than others, so if I do a downwinder I like to be on my brand new lines. Can be a big swim if you snap a line on a downwinder. Who knows, maybe it works and you save yourself $100. I would definitely do it. If it scares you to think that you might be swimming back with a snapped line well maybe you don't want to bother splicing it. All up to you.

Mad_dan
Medium Poster
Style: Bigair and airstyle
Gear: Core XR4 13.5
Core GTS3 11m
Core GTS4 9m
Core XR 6m
Tronic.
Naish mega
Airrush slayer
Airsusv sector
Crazyfly cruizer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mad_dan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 pm

edt wrote:as long as you have 12 strand it's ok if it's a little bit different, so yeah, you can mix and match it will work. If you are asking questions like this maybe you should just buy a new line set. I don't care too much if I snap a line, just means I have to swim in. I do have line sets I trust more than others, so if I do a downwinder I like to be on my brand new lines. Can be a big swim if you snap a line on a downwinder. Who knows, maybe it works and you save yourself $100. I would definitely do it. If it scares you to think that you might be swimming back with a snapped line well maybe you don't want to bother splicing it. All up to you.
Thanks for the feedback! I will probably buy new lines just to be safe.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun May 21, 2017 10:10 pm

This is the easiest Brummel splice I've seen for when one end is fixed and is what I now use (apologies if already posted).

https://youtu.be/4WW7Qvg3VjI

Return to “Kitesurfing”