Forum for kitesurfers
stevet25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Cornwall
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Free kite plans on GitHub

Postby stevet25 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Thanks for the positive comments om the Agilus build.

Hopefully these will work now- rough and ready but it gives an idea of the potential
[youtube]https://youtu.be/GTgJyJijyyw[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/WaRFy83J6I8[/youtube]

downunder - I had previously only made stunt kites and put patches on my trousers, However as part of my mid-life crisis I am being an `apprentice` at a sail loft for a day a week (thank you Ian Ross at RB Sails in Hayle Cornwall) - I love it - and am fortunate to have an on experienced sail maker to advise on the tricky stuff. So it has been a great skills builder - the next one will take a quarter of the time, and I think Karsten probably is right at 80 hours (including a lot of figuring it out time). No idea of cost as it was pretty much made from leftovers - we only used low grade material on this build - now that I know it can be done I will get some quality fabric for the next one. Depends how you value your time and sense of achievement as to whether a Gong is a better deal!

Karsten the wind has been terrible here so only had one hydrofoil session so far - I will give you some definitive feedback when I have had a few more hours flight time, but initially I think we may need to play a little with the bridling and the LE `elbow`? Really missing not having a sewing project on the go!!

cheers

kalliespidahl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Holland State Park, MI, USA
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras, NC
Phi Kite School, Vietnam
Barra Nova, Brasil
Style: Manatee on a kite/foil/wingboard
Gear: Airush

Postby kalliespidahl » Wed May 03, 2017 10:43 pm

@PanTau That is a nice looking kite! Is it easier to sew a bigger kite rather than going smaller? Or not necessarily? My biggest kite is a 13 (contra)- so a 15 would be nice to have, but a 12 would probably be a little more fun (when we have wind it's usually 13-15knots). Thoughts?

MehYam
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby MehYam » Thu May 04, 2017 12:07 am

I have nothing to add other than this is super fucking impressive, keep it up guys.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Thu May 04, 2017 1:11 pm

stevet25 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 pm
Thanks for the positive comments om the Agilus build.

Hopefully these will work now- rough and ready but it gives an idea of the potential
[youtube]https://youtu.be/GTgJyJijyyw[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/WaRFy83J6I8[/youtube]

downunder - I had previously only made stunt kites and put patches on my trousers.
First link works for me.
Congrats. The kite looks great and behaves very well.!

80 hrs is a lot though... But as long as it is 80hrs of fun it is fine.

@ pantau/anyone else
did you try to use a conventional paper plotter to plot cut and sew marks on kite fabric?

stefmoris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puntone
Gear: Mikeslab Bullet (3,4,.....)
Brand Affiliation: lecca-lecca / Mikeslab

Postby stefmoris » Thu May 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi Peert, I have plotted to 42gsm ripstop (I'm foil kites) with a regular roll fed sign cutter/pen plotter and had a lot of material slippage resulting in sloppy tolerances.

@pantau= thanks for your awesome contribution here and I look forward to trying your software when it's ready!

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Thu May 04, 2017 11:27 pm

stefmoris wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:23 pm
Hi Peert, I have plotted to 42gsm ripstop (I'm foil kites) with a regular roll fed sign cutter/pen plotter and had a lot of material slippage resulting in sloppy tolerances.

@pantau= thanks for your awesome contribution here and I look forward to trying your software when it's ready!
@Stefmorris, thanks for your reply much appreciated. No need to try that again. And better to invest time in an alternative way of getting accurate cut panels efficiently.

In the old days I used a hardboard, paper print of the panels and soldering iron... Doesn't give you enough stitching/allignment lines...

But it is 2017 must be possible to source a laser cutter service within economical limits...

PanTau
Medium Poster
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Postby PanTau » Sat May 06, 2017 3:00 pm

kalliespidahl wrote: ... Is it easier to sew a bigger kite rather than going smaller?
There is not much difference between 9 and 15 in the matter of difficulty. It's more a matter of cost, workbench size, time etc.
For the first kite I always recommend to start small and gain some experience. The teaser is a good starting point.
After that I would go for 9 or 12.
Peert wrote: did you try to use a conventional paper plotter to plot cut and sew marks on kite fabric?
It works fine for dacron but not for spinnaker (cutting and plotting). Most of the plotters are not as wide as the sailcloth so you have to cut the cloth in half.
Peert wrote: But it is 2017 must be possible to source a laser cutter service within economical limits...
It takes me around 5h to cut all the panels (sail, LE, struts) for the GO in size 9. So there is not that much time to be saved if you only want to sew one kite.
I would be happy to have a laser cutter service next door but the ones I tried in my area have none or only very little experience with sailcloth. Usually the lasers are too strong/hot so they burn the cloth...
I would love to build my own laser cutter as stefmoris did but until then I will cut my panels “by hand”.
But if you can recommend me a laser cutting service I would be happy to give it a try

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue May 09, 2017 11:46 am

Here we go guys,

I've opened one side LE only to see how is this done. Looks like dacron tape goes pretty much everywhere for sewing, mind you though, this is an 2005 Cab Crossbow kite :) I am not sure if this is the case with a latest kites, but what can be seen here is 6 ripstop pieces, and folded (doubled) at the tip ends.
DSC08031.resized.JPG
The white thin dacron tape on black fabric is where the strut was. All struts are removed, since building aka a Cloud kite...

Now a BIG question, how do I make this tip to be on an angle similar to a Cloud? Looks like I'll be targeting the connection point, like this:
$_57 (3).JPG
I think the above 6 panels can be replaced with a single straight tip, exactly like a Cloud. But the angle is a problem since this is not done in one single 'plane' - more like a 3D coordinates if you know what I mean (as the kite is 3D shaped):
FullSizeRender.jpg

Also, the canopy excess will be a problem, basically the whole geometry is off when doing this. But I recon it is possible :) And way, way less complicated than building everything from scratch.

Any input from you guys with heaps experience? Trail and error? But than I'll need to iterate a lot...

Thanks

PS

About fabric cutting, I think many 'shade & sails' shops are using Aeronaut Automation machines. They cut within a few mm tolerances:
www.aeronaut.org/applications/industria ... sails.html

stevet25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Cornwall

Postby stevet25 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm

A quick update on my WingWorks Agilus 7m. Flew Mzingly well straight off the sewing machine. however I soon paid the price of using cheap ripstop of unknown provenannce, within half a dozen sessions the canopy had stretched so much it was unflyable. So have made new canopy and stitched onto original leading edge - flies even better than before. Primarily intended as a foiling kite it works really well, good low end, great power stroke to get me up and foiling, and I am getting more and more confident in it to test the higher end of its capabilities. Great design work PanTau - thanks - i`m thinking a light wind 10m would be a good new project?
Attachments
IMG_4299.JPG
IMG_4301.JPG

charlesharin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pont Mahé
France
Favorite Beaches: Salted Swamp
Style: Freestyle
Gear: C-shape 5 lines
Brand Affiliation: Ride Engine - Blank Froce Boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby charlesharin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi everybody, I'm New here, because I just lookink for info or for know if other guy want to make Kite DIY.
Sorry for my English, I'm French.
I already read a lot of nice comments, that help.
Please share here, I will keep an eye here.

Regards.

Return to “Kitesurfing”