Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strutless Kites Cloud vs. Gong

forum for kitesurfers

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Strutless Kites Cloud vs. Gong

Postby Peert » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:57 am

I have a Gong strutless 12m.
Nice kite. Higer AR than the Cloud V2 I believe 8.5 I tried. Comparable to the naish trip I also own. The Gong and BRM dont like being overpowerd. The Gong LE will distort at the front. The BRM LE will bend between the last bridle point of front line and the backline.
Trip 10m does not have these issues and can happily be (mis)used in a wider windrange.
For me from 9-10 knots on the Hfoil up until 25 on a TT..

@Tomhorton: Curious about the effects of the battens. can you post a picture detailing the material that is used for it?
Last edited by Peert on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onda
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Watergate Bay, Daymer Bay (UK)
La Torche (FR)
Style: strictly unstrapped
Gear: Ozone

Postby Onda » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:38 am

I´ve had the Cloud C1 in 10 & 17 m² and the Storm Voyager V2 in 9 m² (on strapless surfboard).
My learning: Strutless kites lack depower! Massive low end, but very little depower. Didn´t like any of them. The windrange was very narrow for me.

Maybe the later models have increased in depower capabilities, don´t konw...

1-strut models still lack depower from my point of view (LF Solo, North Mono).
Decided to stay with 3-strut wave kites.

surfbird
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:19 pm

I wouldn't say it's fair to compare with the C1.

C5 and D0 are almost a different kites. It depowers much much better, and the throw is very short.

I haven't ridden the gong yet. They feel a bit heavier compared to cloud but probably more durable.

tomhorton
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Alameda, CA USA
Style: Beginner
Gear: 2007 North Rebel kite, Best 139 Beast Board

Postby tomhorton » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi RalfsB, as you can imagine, any 17m kite is going to turn very slow. I can downloop my 17m Gong Strutless. While the 12m Gong Strutless turns considerably faster than the 17m Gong Strutless, the 12 m Gong Strutless does not come anywhere close to turning as fast as a Core 12m GTS. The 9m Gong Strutless is a fast turning kite. If I really snap it around, I can downloop the 9m Gong Strutless sitting at 10 o'clock. I would say the 9m Gong Strutless is probably as fast turning as a 9m Core GTS. Also, per inputs from friends, the Gong Strutless does not jump nearly as well as the Cores (not an issue for me as I don't jump).
Cheers,
Tom

tomhorton
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Alameda, CA USA
Style: Beginner
Gear: 2007 North Rebel kite, Best 139 Beast Board

Postby tomhorton » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi Peert, relative to your post "Curious about the effects of the battens. can you post a picture detailing the material that is used for it?", the following are my inputs.
The use of the batten immensely improves the performance of the Gong Strutless. I believe the batten is fiberglass (it wrapped in a sheath), similar to what was used on windsurfing sails. Unlike battens that were used in windsurf sails, It does not seem to be tapered. Here is a link to the Gong website that shows a video of the batten. https://vimeo.com/191726616
As an FYI, I am based in the San Francisco Bay Area if anyone is interested in trying out one of my Gong Strutless.
Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Kitesurfing”