Flysurfer boost compared to ozone edge?

Forum for kitesurfers
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Flysurfer boost compared to ozone edge?

Postby Bille » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:18 pm

plummet wrote:Can someone compare me the boost to the edge?

Particularly interested in the 7m size.
I found the specks for the Boost below. I should know the answer to this because i own
Edges ; but what is the (AR and projected aria) for the 13M Edge ?

And also -- the Boost has 73% projected aria ; that is a Lot, and seams a bit higher than the Edge ?

Drawing some conclusions here !! :D

Bille
Attachments
2015-flysurfer-boost-tech.jpg
2015-flysurfer-boost-tech.jpg (164.66 KiB) Viewed 3494 times

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Bille wrote: ; but what is the (AR and projected aria) for the 13M Edge ?
Good luck with that one. I've contacted Ozone before for the Edge details and they don't give them out. It's TOP SECRET type stuff! :roll: Because they wouldn't be able to sell the same shit next year with a different color that's "faster, with more hangtime, better relaunch, more boost, lighter bar pressure, better stability and " ... the same shit.

Love my Boost v1 18m. The trailing edge bridle is pretty sweet, thought a bit of a pain. Still not as much pain as my Ozone R1 v1 17m. :lol:

Anyone else notice that Switch and Flysurfer give out all the specs for their kites and don't have yearly based models? Boost v1 and v2 are identical in dimensions, just small changes. Everyone else hides the real info to resell identically "new" stuff?

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:18 pm

They hide becouse other copy all time...))) ;)

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:22 pm

I rode a 2015 13M Edge, and Boost 1 11, and Boost 2 11 and 15 M. Boosts are way different kite from the Edges per my feel. The Boost is kind of an Edge and (Bandit or Dice) mixture. 60 or 70 percent Edge and some 30-40% easy handling good turning freeride/freestyle/surf kite you name it( Bandit, Dice, RPM, GTS). A bit deeper profile gives more lowend grunt than the Edges. The deeper profile and the canopy structure is giving way more drift than an Edge has, so it is much more user friendly. More arc gives better turning, than the Edges. Trailing edge bridles not just giving more low end and the best LEI relunch ever but also giving very nice turning for the bigger sizes. The 15 M is fun to loop and downloop. Edge wins in upwind and flying speed. So for racing or highwind hyrdofoiling the Edge could be better. For general freerideing, airstyle, lightwind the Boost is superior as it more of a high perfomance freeride kite than a race kite. For some unknown reason the Boost is pretty good unhooked. They dont backstall at all and they have some good charctered pop and slack somehow which is closer to a C4 than the dumb feel of a general freeride kite. Probably due to the 5 struts and high perfomance profile.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:02 am

Sounds good above...something ozone edge riders have been asking for in a while now considering the LEI is inferior for racing against foils anyway. But alas noone seems to be listening as usual, normally takes a few years eg. catalyst (average at everything) and now finally the enduro.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:14 am

The 15m & 18m boosts also have more camber / less camber adjustment that I have been experimenting with. I have been experimenting with the less camber setting. The kite seems to fly a little faster during the lulls that we often have on our inland lake. So far it has helped me keep it in the air until the winds pick up. The adjustment it super easy to change, just a larks head on each side.

There is also the bar force setting and I like the less bar force setting. That setting requires undoing a knot in the bridle on the 15m and 18m, on the other kites it is just a steering line through a loop.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:29 am

The boost sounds really good, other brands should pay attention. Credit where credit is due flysurfer knows their shit when it comes to kites. I would really like to see a merger in this sport, something like Cabrinha and Flysurfer joining forces would be unstoppable.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 am

My IRL experience with friends boost 11sqm and my edge 2011 11sqm is that boost had a lot more shaking on the bar meaning wind turbulence was felt at bar. Edge was not that "sensitive feeling" which in my mind is good. Boost was feeling a bit nervous in my mind.

Both were absorbing gust same way without generating power spikes. I was also flying new LF 12sqm kite which really hit the gust through as power spike.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:16 am

Skywalker7 wrote:I rode a 2015 13M Edge, and Boost 1 11, and Boost 2 11 and 15 M. Boosts are way different kite from the Edges per my feel. The Boost is kind of an Edge and (Bandit or Dice) mixture. 60 or 70 percent Edge and some 30-40% easy handling good turning freeride/freestyle/surf kite you name it( Bandit, Dice, RPM, GTS). A bit deeper profile gives more lowend grunt than the Edges. The deeper profile and the canopy structure is giving way more drift than an Edge has, so it is much more user friendly. More arc gives better turning, than the Edges. Trailing edge bridles not just giving more low end and the best LEI relunch ever but also giving very nice turning for the bigger sizes. The 15 M is fun to loop and downloop. Edge wins in upwind and flying speed. So for racing or highwind hyrdofoiling the Edge could be better. For general freerideing, airstyle, lightwind the Boost is superior as it more of a high perfomance freeride kite than a race kite. For some unknown reason the Boost is pretty good unhooked. They dont backstall at all and they have some good charctered pop and slack somehow which is closer to a C4 than the dumb feel of a general freeride kite. Probably due to the 5 struts and high perfomance profile.

That's real good into man. Probably the boost would suit me more in the 7m size than the edge in that case. Currently I have an old catalyst (8m). Its great in high winds and waves but a tad boring in the more normal stuff. I was thinking about getting a 7m edge for the insane boosting days. But now you have me thinking the boost will be more boosty than cat but less crap in waves than the edge.

Whats the connection points on the boost like? on the bridles? will I have any issues using a ozone bar?

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:49 am

joriws wrote:My IRL experience with friends boost 11sqm and my edge 2011 11sqm is that boost had a lot more shaking on the bar meaning wind turbulence was felt at bar. Edge was not that "sensitive feeling" which in my mind is good. Boost was feeling a bit nervous in my mind.

Both were absorbing gust same way without generating power spikes. I was also flying new LF 12sqm kite which really hit the gust through as power spike.
You probably rode the Boost 1 which has this kind of shaky feeling (also depends on the rear line setting) especially if you does not pump do the required pressure. The Boost 2 11 M is much more stable and has a very stable bar feedback and works much better in the high end of its wind range than the Boost1. Try a Boost 2.

Return to “Kitesurfing”