Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5864
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:55 am

How much does it weigh?

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1287
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:38 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby Do-it » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 am

Not sure, gold is pretty heavy.

User avatar
alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 am
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Location: Los Alamos

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby alamos_kiter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:11 am

Teabageppo wrote:I don't get this fascination with the apparent need for unlimited throw...
Depends on kite and riding. You mentioned waves, and there are others. Throw is trim without fumbling buttons or cleats or trim straps: just push out or pull in. I use a long throw setup where I go from slack to full stall with bar movement only. I have a trimmer to adapt for different kites, stretch etc., to set a sweet spot. Trimmer use is once or twice per session, the rest is bar in, bar out.

I don't have CL or hook though. 12 inches more usable throw than the gimmick for a start :thumb:

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:39 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:34 am

pffff fair enough. I just set it and ride. Get a gust edge the bastard out.

User avatar
alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 am
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Location: Los Alamos

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby alamos_kiter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:48 am

Teabageppo wrote:Get a gust edge the bastard out.
That goes without saying, whereas with a skim board, your gust tolerance is somewhat limited, and throw comes into play :naughty:

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:39 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:59 am

ah true that I can agree on that...rode a skim for a bit. Fun.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby iriejohn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:41 am

alamos_kiter wrote:
Teabageppo wrote:I don't get this fascination with the apparent need for unlimited throw...
Depends on kite and riding. You mentioned waves, and there are others. Throw is trim without fumbling buttons or cleats or trim straps: just push out or pull in. I use a long throw setup where I go from slack to full stall with bar movement only. I have a trimmer to adapt for different kites, stretch etc., to set a sweet spot. Trimmer use is once or twice per session, the rest is bar in, bar out.

I don't have CL or hook though. 12 inches more usable throw than the gimmick for a start :thumb:
That is also what I have done and also why I have kept a trim block. Less is more.

User avatar
FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Contact:

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby FabsPH » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:58 am

not sure if asked already, but: what happens when kailua kine sand gets into the bar mechanism? you know, powder like .
(simple and clean bar setup, but simple? what to do if it fails? who can fix it? service it? my bike needs oil and such, and a bike is simple )
still like to try to see how it works .
I trim my kite once per sesh , set it and forget it...
not sure if this falls under minimizing and cleaning up bar

kudos though to the north engineering dpt


really? just seen this not complicated at all, but j bieber seems to know..
https://youtu.be/55wyNR2z__4
[youtube]https://youtu.be/55wyNR2z__4[/youtube]
phpBB [video]

Jerome Bonieux
Rare Poster
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:21 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Pointe D'esny
Favorite Beaches: Pointe D'esny, Le Morne
Style: Foil / Strapless / Wakestyle
Gear: Evo 2019 / Select txtreme 2019 / Pro Wam 5'8 / Click bar / Taaroa hydrofoil / Ozone R1v2
Brand Affiliation: Duotone Kiteboarding

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby Jerome Bonieux » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:10 am

FabsPH wrote:not sure if asked already, but: what happens when kailua kine sand gets into the bar mechanism? you know, powder like .
(simple and clean bar setup, but simple? what to do if it fails? who can fix it? service it? my bike needs oil and such, and a bike is simple )
still like to try to see how it works .
I trim my kite once per sesh , set it and forget it...
not sure if this falls under minimizing and cleaning up bar

kudos though to the north engineering dpt


really? just seen this not complicated at all, but j bieber seems to know..
https://youtu.be/55wyNR2z__4
[youtube]https://youtu.be/55wyNR2z__4[/youtube]
phpBB [video]
Sure, sand will find its way in there, we never claimed that it was sealed.
The thing is that the mechanism is simple enough that it isn't sensitive to some sand entering.
If you do feel that it is getting a bit sticky, presumably because there is sand in there, open the rubber plug and sink you bar under water. You have good chances to clean what was causing the problem.
In case that is not enough, remove the two side bolts which allows you to inspect and clean anything that might be in there. I repeat myself once again, realistically you will only get to this point once every 20 sessions.
The whole point of using this mechanism rather than another one is because of its non sensitivity to sand and salt. The only way to convince you is to try it out. No point arguing over something you have never experienced.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: New North Kitesurfing bar for 2017 (april fools I hope!)

Postby iriejohn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 am

Jerome Bonieux wrote:Sure, sand will find its way in there, we never claimed that it was sealed.
The thing is that the mechanism is simple enough that it isn't sensitive to some sand entering.
If you do feel that it is getting a bit sticky, presumably because there is sand in there, open the rubber plug and sink you bar under water. You have good chances to clean what was causing the problem.

In case that is not enough, remove the two side bolts which allows you to inspect and clean anything that might be in there. I repeat myself once again, realistically you will only get to this point once every 20 sessions.
The whole point of using this mechanism rather than another one is because of its non sensitivity to sand and salt. The only way to convince you is to try it out. No point arguing over something you have never experienced.
It is engineering for engineering sake - it is engineering around the problem rather than trying to eliminate it.

Increasing complexity increases the probability of failure particularly where redundant backup systems cannot be implemented (as is the case here).


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Kitesurfingsouthport, or6 and 6 guests

cron