lucalubiano
Rare Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Big bay Cape Town

Postby lucalubiano » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:01 am

Hello, i want to know how is big bay to practice freestyle unhooked, ¿you have many big waves? because when you fall your kite, if a big wave catch it you loose many time and exist the possibility that you can break your kite. Also i want to know the best option to practice freestyle if you are staying at Tableview.
Goob bye and good winds!!

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Re: Big bay Cape Town

Postby piccio » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:18 am

not the best place for strapless frestyle,cold water,high winds,waves, crowded dec to feb.maybe better laangeban

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 am

You are right about the big waves and having to relaunch your kite before the next wave, therefore not the best place if your kite will be falling often.
Main Beach in Langebaan is a better option, mostly due to the lack of waves.

Both spots are likely to be crowded during the Cape Town summer.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Go to langebaan and don't F___k around big bay " practicing " unhooked. I'd be pissed at you for doing that at my crappy wave spot at 56N, let alone at a world-class wave spot like big bay....

lucalubiano
Rare Poster

Postby lucalubiano » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:46 am

TomW wrote:Go to langebaan and don't F___k around big bay " practicing " unhooked. I'd be pissed at you for doing that at my crappy wave spot at 56N, let alone at a world-class wave spot like big bay....
Okey Tom, but i am only asking. Do you know where i can practice wakestyle near Tableview? and another question, Big bay is so large, so i think that there are some places "flat" behind rocks or something like that, do you know something? Good bye!!

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 am

As far as I can remember the only place sheltered by rocks is where they have RB King of Air, and you will not be the only one wanting to go there.

Big Bay isn't a flat water spot, it is a wave spot, with some flat between the waves. That's all.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:34 am

there is a small lake behind dolphin beach .... not so beautiful but flat.....some windsurfers practice race over there.2 min.from table wiew.
on the right side of big bay where king of air takes place is covered by rocks and is enough flat between waves that are usually smaller than the rest of the bay .
depending from the day and the month you could find 50 cm and no one in the water or a couple of meters with 100 kiters on a queue for the wave.
expect a nice vacation on a beautiful place ,many things to do but if you go there only for frestyle you will be disappointed .

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:53 am

piccio wrote:there is a small lake behind dolphin beach .... not so beautiful but flat.....some windsurfers practice race over there.2 min.from table wiew.
on the right side of big bay where king of air takes place is covered by rocks and is enough flat between waves that are usually smaller than the rest of the bay .
depending from the day and the month you could find 50 cm and no one in the water or a couple of meters with 100 kiters on a queue for the wave.
Yeah... awesome hint. Kiting is prohibited in Rietvlei Nature Reserve! There is plenty of police around that will take care of that. Even windsurfing is only allowed if you are member of the Milnerton Aquatic Club.

lucalubiano
Rare Poster

Postby lucalubiano » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:43 am

And how long is go to langebaan from tableview, is a good option stay in tableview and go all days to langeban?

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:17 am

lucalubiano wrote:And how long is go to langebaan from tableview, is a good option stay in tableview and go all days to langeban?
An hour and a bit. It's doable, but you'll probably get tired of it if you're doing it everyday.
If you're kiting every day in langebaan, I'd stay there, or stay part of the time there at least. It's a chilled, user friendly place.
The one thing is the wind often kicks in late at langebaan, so if you drive up, you can end up waiting around a bit.
As for cape town / tableview, you do get days where the swell is quite small. It varies quite a bit. And if it's not weekend or peak holiday season, you've got plenty of space.

Return to “Kitesurfing”