Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Re: bulk line

Postby dracop » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:11 am

Liros only has one USA distributor, Paratour, and they are not really into this side of the biz. I had better luck ordering from a shop in Europe and having them ship it to me.

Drachennest
http://www.drachennest.biz/shop/Lenkdra ... :4592.html

anyways I got my line, now I just need to get them finished up so I can attached to my bar. The lines look very pretty and solid :D

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:17 am

sick. don't use it up all at once.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:15 pm

Ok so I completed my projet using Liros Lines in place of my Naish OEM lines. Wow. what a difference! It was a larger improvement than I expected (also a bigger pain in the a** to complete).

I replaced standard 200 kg breaking strength lines with DC-701 for the lower Y of the flying lines (730 kg breaking str), DC-401 for the upper Y flying lines (580 kg breaking str), and DC-301 (400kg breaking str) for the steering lines.

The lines have a tighter weave than stock Naish lines altho not as tight as Q-Line Pro. You will feel the difference of the interal Dyneema sk-99 core over sk-75 very quickly. The lines feel like solid wires to your kite instead of stretchy fabric type lines. The 701 and 401 look like solid heavy lines, the 301 is a little thinner than most lines. I was skpetical until I put a kite in the air and with tensionm those 301 lines feel better than the centers on my other bars (I base this on touching the lines and tensioning the lines while in flight to see how the line reacts to artificall tension, eg tugging on the different lines).

Surprisngly, in high wind they feel relatively similar since stock lines are fully loaded with tension anyways. In light wind is where I am feeling a huge performance difference. In light wind, you maintain a quick connection to the kite that is solid. The kite responds immediately. Whereas with stock lines, the lines stretch as you increase the tension thru movement before they input to the kite. The end result is that my kite feels more controllable and faster in light wind than before - and its REALLY Noticeable. Completely different feel. Far more consistent with the high wind experience even when there is not enough wind to kite.

Yesterday I was in 30 gusting to 40 wind and the wind dropped to 15 in a matter of minutes. Even tho I had to head back in, the kite continued to respond to whatever I told it to near instantly in the light wind. Sheeting in, the kite was not generating any pull worth mentioning but responsiveness was still there. With my stock lines, the lines are just super soft and I have to pre-emptivelt control the kite by anticipating a long lead time between control input and kite response.

Bit of a surprise as I was thinking improvements would be on the high wind side, I had not considered the light wind adv. But it makes sense, you are more sensitive to performance and drag in light wind than in high wind when there is enough power to compensate for everything and anything. It was wortht he PITA it was to get these lines created and then tuned. :D

Pics later tonight.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:36 pm

You have made a similar mistake as most kite designers. You have 730kg break lower and 1160kg upper. You could use DC-301 for the upper fronts and still have 70kg too much. Still what you have done is obviously much better than naish's original setup.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:55 am

You are assuming equal pull on both upper Y lines at all times. I was constantly getting uneven stretching on the upper Y lines, with one side always stretching more. It is easier at my current launch to load to the right and boost then do a hard loop when going to the right (I prefer a big aerial uploop to a downloop). It was causing uneven pressure even on the upper Ys in addition to steering lines. THat being said there should still be some support from the other side.

While I am attempting to correct this by doing harder loops to the left as well as alternating my upper lines (its easy at kite setup time), having much stronger lines reduces risk of any stretching whatsoever. The increase in strength form 200 kg to 580 kg is big and breaking strength is related to creep. The new lines feel solid as a rock so I am hoepful whereas the old lines felt like the cr*p they are.

So far, so good.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:20 am

You make a fair point. With foil kite bridles the combined upper bridles strength are often more than the lower bridles strength. I have just never seen it done with main lines. I don't like Y lines anyway and don't use them.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:08 am

I'm getting ready to buy some Liros dyneema line.
I'm buying:
1.5mm red, 1000 pounds, pre-stretched
1.5mm blue, 1000 pounds, pre-stretched
1.6mm white, 1300 pounds, pre-stretched
4.5mm depower rope line ***possibly buying this

If anyone in the states wants line pm me for details...I'd really like to buy the 4.5mm depower line, but that minimum order is 100m. If I can find 5-15 people that want some of that line I'll send it to you cheaper than you can get dyneema locally just to recover some of the cost of buying 300+ feet of the stuff.

live2play
Medium Poster

Postby live2play » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:07 am

Reviving this thread...
What are currently the best online sources to buy Liros DC 301/401?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:34 pm

live2play wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:07 am
Reviving this thread...
What are currently the best online sources to buy Liros DC 301/401?
This is where I got mine: https://greenhatkiteboarding.com/liros- ... -per-meter

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 pm

dracop wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:11 am
Liros only has one USA distributor, Paratour, and they are not really into this side of the biz. I had better luck ordering from a shop in Europe and having them ship it to me.

Drachennest
http://www.drachennest.biz/shop/Lenkdra ... :4592.html

anyways I got my line, now I just need to get them finished up so I can attached to my bar. The lines look very pretty and solid :D
Not quite... I called Paratour and they do bulk orders once or twice a year only really to support their own activities - they are not a full service dealer. Calling Lyros directly, they will ship directly to you. Shipping can be a little pricey so if you buy in bulk, shipping will be manageable.

Return to “Kitesurfing”