bulk line

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

bulk line

Postby alford » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:30 am

Other than Q line, where can I buy top quality bulk flying lines? I see Dyneema Sk75 on ebay but what exactly does that mean? Slingshot's lines are made in the USA but where can I buy a spool?
Why is this such a unknown?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: bulk line

Postby edt » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:13 am

if you find a good source let us know. you want either sk75 or sk78, between 1.5mm and 1.8mm and you want to have 12 strand line. if it's 4 strand or 8 strand it won't splice and if it doesn't splice it won't fit through the safety of most modern single line flagging control bars. something like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 39024.html

But who needs 1,000 meters right? It's not an unknown just easier to buy kite lines as a set instead of in a spool.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:50 am

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:29 am

Looks good get some let us know how it goes might get some myself

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:17 am

You can hollow splice less than 12 strand it depends how it is braided, it needs a hollow section :-) 1000lb is way too strong in my book. That 1.8mm is maybe closer to 2mm or thicker . God knows how they are measuring these things but they are not consistent from brand to brand. Both are too thick I think. Sk75 is very old the SK90's are the newer stuff with SK99 the latest(strongest). Depends I guess if you want really cheap get the sk75. Pansh also has very cheap line sets which I doubt you be able to make for less. http://www.panshkite.com/index.php?gOo= ... wt&gcat=63 ( click buy and it's half price) I recently learnt that the white line they use which seemed impossible to splice and not 12 strand etc, is infact possible though very hard to do. The yellow and other line is probably also possible but because of the thin diameter I am not interested in attempting it. They have newer line which is very easy to splice and similar to what flysurfer uses but it is not for sale yet without certain kites attached :-(

clamborghini
Rare Poster
Gear: Fuel, axis BP
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby clamborghini » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:07 pm

I replaced slingy lines with this line from these guys: http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=2

I used the 500 for steering and 800 for centers. The only difference between these and OEM seems to be the coating. I tried to coat them in polyurethane and it was great for a couple sessions before it wore off. I haven't noticed wear on them without a coating, but they do get tangled more when I walk my lines out. You also need to stretch them, which is a bit of a pain, but manageable.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:12 pm

hmmm you do have a point. 1.8mm is pretty thick. Nicer to be 1.7 or 1.6mm (a bit less drag in the air) It will still work tho. I have some 1.75mm lines and don't even notice they are different most of the time. I wouldn't buy those pansh lines no matter how cheap they are, I would rather get 12 strand so it's easy to splice. When something is "hard to splice" sometimes what is happening is your are pushing the fid actually through the middle of one of your fibers that's what is creating friction and it also creates a point of failure. Fid should go thru the line easily on brand new line.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Seems maybe any Peter Lynn dealer should be able to get the bulk spools:

http://www.vectorkitelines.com/more

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cleepa » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:37 am

A friend and I bought prestretched SK75 bulk line from alibaba. The people we bought it from were very responsive and sent us samples. Lines are easy to make. Highly recommend doing this. Makes you realise how much of a ripoff replacement line sets are. Total gouging.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:47 am

:yes:
clamborghini wrote:I replaced slingy lines with this line from these guys:http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=2 I used the 500 for steering and 800 for centers.
DIY Instructions: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-11649-0.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”