Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best cities to live for year round kiteboarding

Postby stevez » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:57 am

For me it depends on what type of riding:
For hydrofoiling Auckland.
For everything else Cape Town. I haven't been there but I'm sure Perth is good too.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Anywhere DownUnder you have a non-windy season.
If you want to have warm water, you need to look somewhere around the equator.
I moved from Cairns/DownUnder (13° south of the equator) to Cumbuco/Brazil (3° south of the equator) because of it's wind *all year 'round*.
I wonder why nobody else mentioned it in this tread previously...?
Cumbuco is the kite capital of the wold. No? If not- what is the kite capital?
Cumbuco is a suburb of Fortaleza with 3.8 Mil habitats (give or take).

Cheers
Caesar 8-)

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:58 pm

stevez wrote:For me it depends on what type of riding:
For hydrofoiling Auckland.
For everything else Cape Town. I haven't been there but I'm sure Perth is good too.
Cape Town is geat from Dec-March, less so the rest of the year. And the water is freezing cold. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed spending my winter there (Nov-March), but tis not a good year round destination for kiting. Also, the economy i terrible so you better have a remote work job setup, in which case you can roam nomad style from point to point.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:36 pm

Caesar wrote:Anywhere DownUnder you have a non-windy season.
Aussie maybe, but NZ would be one of the few places that is windy all year around and not freezing, this year has been a bit crap tho. I would love to got to Brazil tho.. Marc just left to go there, some seriously entertaining riding right there.

Gonzavala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach South End UK
Favorite Beaches: East End, paracas, pacasmayo, guincho
Style: freestyle
Gear: Rrds obssesion shinn luigi

Postby Gonzavala » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Again, Lisbon. More detail:
- Wind all year round, check, although not sure how many days kiteable
- Plenty of spots on both ends of the city (can be a 15 minute drive if you live on the right side), flat water, waves (Guincho is world class) available
- Can be on the cold side in the winter, but not horribly cold, summer is nice, but water always cold
- The city is great
- Plenty of kiters but I think there's room for all
- No sharks as far as I know
- Many other spots in the country, even Tarifa is close enough for a drive to spend a weekend there (6 hours)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:05 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Aussie maybe, but NZ would be one of the few places that is windy all year around and not freezing, this year has been a bit crap tho. I would love to got to Brazil tho.. Marc just left to go there, some seriously entertaining riding right there.
There's no non windy season here. Just different levels of wind speeds and different wind directions, conditions. The summer is primarily balmy seabrease driven days and the winter is frontal driven weather patterns. Some conditions in winter are expert only. Spring typically yields the best combo of frontal driven and seabreeze winds with autumn being somewhat fickle but still plenty of windy days.

It's the middle of winter right now. Temp is between 12 and 16 deg C during the day typically. In the last week. I have been in shorts and teeshirt at the bmx track, riding double head cross off perfect sets on the 10m (3-4 wettie, booties, hoody), same night riding in the forrest at night on my mountain bike. Had a 6m full powered session in the morning then in took the family into the snow up the mountain (30 minutes drive) in the afternoon, then longboard skateboard (jeans and sweatshirt) at night time!. And that is the middle of winter!

Oh fucken yeah!

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell
Brand Affiliation: www.skymonster.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:29 pm

plummet wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:
There's no non windy season here. Just different levels of wind speeds and different wind directions, conditions. The summer is primarily balmy seabrease driven days and the winter is frontal driven weather patterns. Some conditions in winter are expert only. Spring typically yields the best combo of frontal driven and seabreeze winds with autumn being somewhat fickle but still plenty of windy days.

It's the middle of winter right now. Temp is between 12 and 16 deg C during the day typically. In the last week. I have been in shorts and teeshirt at the bmx track, riding double head cross off perfect sets on the 10m (3-4 wettie, booties, hoody), same night riding in the forrest at night on my mountain bike. Had a 6m full powered session in the morning then in took the family into the snow up the mountain (30 minutes drive) in the afternoon, then longboard skateboard (jeans and sweatshirt) at night time!. And that is the middle of winter!

Oh fucken yeah!
Where is it that you live again? :)

kiteplayer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northern part of Hurghada
Style: old school
Brand Affiliation: Griffin, M-Day
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteplayer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Hurghada, Egypt is great to live for kiteboarders. No dry siut needed, windy all year round. The most used kite is 8m Ozone C4. Quality of life? ))) This is Egypt, baby.

OldGuy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: S.F. Bay Area
Style: all
Gear: Twin tips, surf boards, race boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby OldGuy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:30 pm

The Pacific coast of the US. Year around honest good wind, but you have to travel between south Baja ( La Ventana ) November thru March.
Then April thru October between Los Angles and SF Bay, California. It doesn't get much better than that if you can do it........

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Jake-Skymonster wrote:
plummet wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:

Oh fucken yeah!
Where is it that you live again? :)
I am in the land of the long white cloud.

Return to “Kitesurfing”