Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gopro line mounts. Camrig vs beastmount

Postby BrunoC » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:57 pm

Only tried camrig with my Sony action can; works fine for me.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:01 pm

I had never heard of the Beastmount until this post. I'd assume the performance and safety would be very similar.
Yet I would chose the Beastmount over the Camrig solely on the simplicity of installing to your lines.

Anyone want to trade their beastmount for my Camrig?

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:39 pm

I have tried them both. Both of them work great and give you the same camera views. But, the plugs for the Camrig are a PITA compared to the simplicity of the Beastmount. It is super easy to install and remove the Beastmount from your line, it only takes a few seconds to mount it or remove it. It also will have a future option to add a longer center bar for changing the height at which you mount it on your lines which is pretty cool.

Since they are the same price, I wold go with the Beastmount.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Been thanked: 0

Postby liv2surf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks rouge_kiteboarder for the helpful comparison, though I did not see anything on their website about a longer extension bar for Beastmount (I guess they are still in stealth mode).
Last edited by liv2surf on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:38 pm

I just threw my camrig in the trash after having my lines wrap around it for a third time. The safety risk + the pain in the ass of getting it on and off with the little rubber things makes it not worth it to me for a "real" session. Might be fine if all you do is cruise around or never crash your kite.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:27 pm

To add to the complexity that line mount looks nice and simple to use: http://ugokite.com/

Usually I avoid using line mount over 20 knots because of the risk of lines getting stuck in there, i have had issues only first few times I used theose because I didn't know how to jump and kept jumping downwind with kite Hindenburg on top of lines... didnt use it for a while then havenrt had issue since then but my kite line still slack occasionally after kiteloop so don't use it much for those loop session... depends how far the Y is on your lines.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:34 pm

dylan* wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:38 pm
I just threw my camrig in the trash after having my lines wrap around it for a third time. The safety risk + the pain in the ass of getting it on and off with the little rubber things makes it not worth it to me for a "real" session. Might be fine if all you do is cruise around or never crash your kite.

I have used the camrig a lot, and I have several friends that use it a lot too. I have never seen anyone have issues with lines wrapping around it like you said unless they were using a thumb screw to mount the camera instead of the pan head screw that comes with the mount.

Of course maybe we do not have "real" sessions like you do, whatever that means. :-?

This is with the camrig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FtG8cEj0UY

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby danidr » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:34 pm
dylan* wrote:

I have used the camrig a lot, and I have several friends that use it a lot too. I have never seen anyone have issues with lines wrapping around it like you said unless they were using a thumb screw to mount the camera instead of the pan head screw that comes with the mount.

Of course maybe we do not have "real" sessions like you do, whatever that means. :-?

This is with the camrig:
I would concur with this statement also (for the standard camrig). The "universal camrig line mount" is another story, on that one the gopro completely sticks out from the plastic frame and would be quite more prone to tangles. Actually, the beast mount and the ugokite should also be prone to tangles as their construction leaves a part of the frame open and a line could go in.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:47 pm

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:34 pm
dylan* wrote:

This is with the camrig:
the problem isn't with riding, it's when you drop the kite. it's really easy to wrap the lines around the mount if you get any slack whatsoever. the last time this happened i was really lucky that my kite was basically underwater and had no chance of powering up, i would have had to release it. also really lucky that the waves smashing my kite didn't tear it in half since I couldn't flag it out.

this is the version i have:

Return to “Kitesurfing”