Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Postby gmb13 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 am

CaliRider wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 am
I can't stomach buying another camera and this stabilizer mount looks promising ... dunno if id ever use the timelaspe function but thats a cool option. Anyone have experience with it? https://noirmatter.com/pages/quark
Yep. I really think this is a great solution. Combined with the GoPro 6 digital stabilisation this would blow the REVL away on all fronts.

--
Gunnar

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

andylc wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:39 am
It's beyond ridiculous that after all this time there is not a single proper independent review out there. Despite all the apparent production issues it must be practical to get a final version out to a reputable tech reviewer, allowing us normal Joe public to get an idea of whether it is worth buying before committing to paying for it. Very unprofessional in my opinion!

But it is light years ahead of GoPro, honest.

I have heard that so many times over the years and from some huge long term camera manufacturers at times. Show us the imagery from production gear on the market, the proof starts in the pictures.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:26 am

CaliRider wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 am
I can't stomach buying another camera and this stabilizer mount looks promising ... dunno if id ever use the timelaspe function but thats a cool option. Anyone have experience with it? https://noirmatter.com/pages/quark
It is not out yet. It had an Indigogo funding drive, they met their goal and are moving ahead with production.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby CaliRider » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:26 am

It is not out yet. It had an Indigogo funding drive, they met their goal and are moving ahead with production.
Their blog said on Nov 14 they were shipping and to expect units by nov 20. customers on fb are wondering where
their cameras are this week, almost a month later. Retail doesn't have them, customers don't have them and revel has
been silent since nov 20 when they said cameras would arrive. one customer wrote "I have waited nearly a year for this camera, which I now believe doesn't even exist. I emailed 4 or 5 times wanting a refund but this bunch of scammers never replied to my emails. Eventually they did assuring me that the refund has been place in PayPal. Not so, it hasn't happened. People be warned , this group are a bunch of scammers , if you deal with them they will rip you off. If you want a camera , avoid this group get a GoPro, they are at least proven."

Vantage
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay, TCI
Le Morne, Mauritius
Key West Flats
Style: I have ZERO style...
Gear: 2016 Switchblades
Axis Vanguard
Nobile NHP Split
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Vantage » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:01 am

CaliRider wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm
rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:26 am

Their blog said on Nov 14 they were shipping and to expect units by nov 20. customers on fb are wondering where
their cameras are this week, almost a month later. Retail doesn't have them, customers don't have them and revel has
been silent since nov 20 when they said cameras would arrive. one customer wrote "I have waited nearly a year for this camera, which I now believe doesn't even exist. I emailed 4 or 5 times wanting a refund but this bunch of scammers never replied to my emails. Eventually they did assuring me that the refund has been place in PayPal. Not so, it hasn't happened. People be warned , this group are a bunch of scammers , if you deal with them they will rip you off. If you want a camera , avoid this group get a GoPro, they are at least proven."
Not sure what FB group you are seeing that on but there are numerous videos being posted daily on the early backers group. There are customers all over the place using the camera and a firmware update was made available last week I think it was. As I said previously my camera is on it's way in the next month but I have to pay import duties which kind of annoys me but not much I can do about it and it's nothing to do with Revl. The videos I've seen look fantastic but most haven't really taken advantage of the full capabilities of the motorised stabilisation yet. Not commenting on refunds, no idea about that.

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:11 am

Vantage wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:01 am
Not sure what FB group you are seeing that on but there are numerous videos being posted daily on the early backers group. There are customers all over the place using the camera and a firmware update was made available last week I think it was. As I said previously my camera is on it's way in the next month but I have to pay import duties which kind of annoys me but not much I can do about it and it's nothing to do with Revl. The videos I've seen look fantastic but most haven't really taken advantage of the full capabilities of the motorised stabilisation yet. Not commenting on refunds, no idea about that.
The REVL Facebook page. don't see any early backers posting there and no mention of firmware update. Sounds like a lot of activity elsewhere, but to the idiot public like me, they look like they've gone dark after saying they were gonna ship and then nothing. at least they're not dead happy to hear that! :D

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998

Postby gmb13 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:05 pm

RickI wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm
andylc wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:39 am
It's beyond ridiculous that after all this time there is not a single proper independent review out there. Despite all the apparent production issues it must be practical to get a final version out to a reputable tech reviewer, allowing us normal Joe public to get an idea of whether it is worth buying before committing to paying for it. Very unprofessional in my opinion!

But it is light years ahead of GoPro, honest.

I have heard that so many times over the years and from some huge long term camera manufacturers at times. Show us the imagery from production gear on the market, the proof starts in the pictures.
Exactly. The proof is in the pictures and the video. And so far in regards to stabilisation, the GP6 is way ahead of the game. The REVL looks like it does not have any stabilisation at all, and only stabilises the horizon. The GP6 has a bunch of issues, but in regards to color depth, stabilisation and sharpness, it seems to be miles ahead to the REVL.

--
Gunnar

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Believe me once this camera is in the hands of consumers, it better deliver on it's stabilization or it will be dead in the water before year one is half over. The mountain bike footage will be the proof for me and many others. Not needing a gimbal is really something mountain bikers have wanted for years.

If this thing is a dud, the mtb market (being giant) will make short work of it.

I hope for Revl that it delivers. If it does, I'll order one.

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:00 am

gmb13 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:05 pm
The REVL looks like it does not have any stabilisation at all, and only stabilises the horizon. The GP6 has a bunch of issues, but in regards to color depth, stabilisation and sharpness, it seems to be miles ahead to the REVL.
--
Gunnar
Now that you mention it, the revl footage is shaky as sh$t!! Sure the horizon is mostly level - mostly. but the footage is headache inducing shaky. went back and watched the suzi video again and wow is she hot and wow is that video shaky! I agree with gunnar that while they have that motor to keep it mostly level, theres no image stabilization. you're better off ordering one of those cheap chinese 4k cams plus that stabilizer i posted. LOL

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998

Postby gmb13 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am

POACHER wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm
Believe me once this camera is in the hands of consumers, it better deliver on it's stabilization or it will be dead in the water before year one is half over. The mountain bike footage will be the proof for me and many others. Not needing a gimbal is really something mountain bikers have wanted for years.

If this thing is a dud, the mtb market (being giant) will make short work of it.

I hope for Revl that it delivers. If it does, I'll order one.
Check out the shake on this official REVL video at 0.02 to 0.04. That will tell you all you need to know about the "stabilisation".

https://youtu.be/T3nnxXJ0Lys?t=1

Return to “Kitesurfing”