Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Postby POACHER » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Just wondering. Their Facebook chatter has been kind of quiet the last few months. I'm hoping it does actually make it into production. My GoPro 4 Silver works fine, but I'm really hoping a decent camera with stabilization, auto rotate and no fogging comes to market. I'm pretty tired of dealing with the issues of the GP that I don't even bother using it anymore.

It appears that GoPro isn't listening as shown by their latest gadget that nobody asked for.......
346.jpg
Oh yeah.....this steaming pile of fail can be yours for the low low price of $5000.00!

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Postby flyingcamel » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:52 am

I threw them loot but havent gotten any emails from them in a few months. said they were adding some more options. hope I didnt throw my money away

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:40 am

I also hope they will make it to the market...it is a fantastic product!!

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster

Postby POACHER » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Flyingcamel - I think their crowdfunding is through Indiegogo. So if it doesn't come to fruition you get your money back. Any idea when they're supposed to ship? I was really tempted to prebuy as well, but I just thought wait until there's some feedback. If it works as advertised with decent camera results I'll happily buy one and give my GoPro a viking funeral.
u3Tph6e.gif
u3Tph6e.gif (3.01 MiB) Viewed 5128 times
I can't imagine it not coming to market, I think Sir Richard B. is an investor.......Not sure.

Toby - Have you seen/tried one? I bet you're stoked to just not F around with a GP anymore too....I can't believe it's taken over a decade of action sports cams to include image stabilization. I know Sony has some digital form of it, but it's results are pretty poor from the reviews. No personal hands on experience though.

Fingers crossed the Revl is the answer.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:00 pm

No, just saw the promo videos, which I liked!

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:11 pm

flyingcamel wrote:I threw them loot but havent gotten any emails from them in a few months. said they were adding some more options. hope I didnt throw my money away
Same here. :roll:
I ordered two as an early adopter... I hope they read kiteforum.

I can't remember when I pre-ordered (it was as soon as the offer was announced), but I keep receiving emails encouraging to buy!
15th March, I received an email:
"Get ready, we're launching Thursday.
The REVL smart action camera is coming Thursday!"
Still nothing, apart loads of spam-like news.

PS. I agree with Toby, the specs are fabulous. Replaces (or has the potential with appropriate software), GPS, Woo, Gopro...

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster

Postby POACHER » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Alex - Do you know if they have a remote coming for it? I asked on FB and never got a response. If there is a waterproof remote or one in the works I'll pull the trigger. Not sure having a cell phone as the remote for on/off is feasible for kiting.

thx.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:43 pm

POACHER wrote:Alex - Do you know if they have a remote coming for it? I asked on FB and never got a response. If there is a waterproof remote or one in the works I'll pull the trigger. Not sure having a cell phone as the remote for on/off is feasible for kiting.

thx.
Good question; essential feature. I cannot remember, but since I ordered blindfold, it must have been. Virtually all GoPro challengers have remote. Just checking again, I see remote via smartphone, but I do hope they've got a dedicated waterproof gadget.

BigBafana
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigBafana » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:19 pm

POACHER wrote:Flyingcamel - I think their crowdfunding is through Indiegogo. So if it doesn't come to fruition you get your money back.
I believe that through Kickstarter you'd get your money back but not through indiegogo. It actually depends on if the full amount has been funded or not. As is the case for revl you wouldn't stand a chance of getting your money back as the full amount would've already been transferred to revl's account and then it's out of indiegogo's hands. That's also the reason that indiegogo gets way more bad rap for fraud.

I've been watching them for a while now but was always hesitant on investing as I have watched many other camera startups fail. What bugged me the most about revl though is the fact that they apparently have functioning prototypes but haven't updated or posted any more video clips highlighting their product than the ones that are out there. And they're old clips by now. Shouldn't that be their biggest selling point posting new exciting videos in the mean time and getting people driveling over their product and funding them? And as somebody else has noted their communication has stopped or slowed down drastically. I'm seeing red flags. Hoeing that it turns out positively though but for now I distrust them more and more.

On a side note of indiegogo look at http://www.roccbox.com a mobile pizza oven. These guys were very successful and exemplary in communication and posting updates throughout their funding time. I trusted them throughout the whole process and getting the finished product next week :)

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:58 pm

I just emailed Revl to ask about my orders, and sent them the link to this thread, hope it can help to get their act together.
BigBafana wrote:
POACHER wrote:Flyingcamel - I think their crowdfunding is through Indiegogo. So if it doesn't come to fruition you get your money back.
I believe that through Kickstarter you'd get your money back but not through indiegogo. It actually depends on if the full amount has been funded or not. As is the case for revl you wouldn't stand a chance of getting your money back as the full amount would've already been transferred to revl's account and then it's out of indiegogo's hands. That's also the reason that indiegogo gets way more bad rap for fraud.

I've been watching them for a while now but was always hesitant on investing as I have watched many other camera startups fail. What bugged me the most about revl though is the fact that they apparently have functioning prototypes but haven't updated or posted any more video clips highlighting their product than the ones that are out there. And they're old clips by now. Shouldn't that be their biggest selling point posting new exciting videos in the mean time and getting people driveling over their product and funding them? And as somebody else has noted their communication has stopped or slowed down drastically. I'm seeing red flags. Hoeing that it turns out positively though but for now I distrust them more and more.

On a side note of indiegogo look at http://www.roccbox.com a mobile pizza oven. These guys were very successful and exemplary in communication and posting updates throughout their funding time. I trusted them throughout the whole process and getting the finished product next week :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”