Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Postby POACHER » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Hmmm.... Not really impressed. That's unfortunate.

I'm sure what's going on with many buyers on the fence about ordering one of these cameras is this equation:
Buying a camera touting revolutionary features (built in gimbal and auto orientation) VS. buying from an unproven start up company (so far has been unimpressive with delivering on promises/basic communications) that may not be able to provide warranty or even be in business next year. And now may not have as good of stabilization as originally planned....

$500 isn't the biggest gamble, but I think many buyers are sick of getting burned with buggy or non functioning GoPros. We just want something that works, shoots nicely and isn't a pain in the ass to use kiting.
I can't believe since I've bought my first GoPro (8+ years ago) nobody has come up with a better option...

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Poacher, my bet is that Virb360 or Gopro Fusion mounted to your lines and with post-edit you can achieve much more than on "horizon correcting only camera". Fix horizon, have interesting viewpoint/framing, nice transformations etc.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm

How often do you twirl your selfie stick around your head? Yeah, me neither. so much for the compelling video footage that seems to be in all of the revel videos. wheeeeeee! LOL Really, who da fuk does that? We want to see dope clips of our rides man! :thumb:

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:29 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am
...Check out the shake on this official REVL video at 0.02 to 0.04. That will tell you all you need to know about the "stabilisation".
I didn't notice much shake, but yeah, it isn't as smooth as one of those 3 gimble grips they have now.
Keep in mind, though, that video was last winter. It's 9 months later so I'd hope the product has evolved a bit since then. We'll see.

The more I watch people's footage with the KarmaGrip or Osmo, I'm impressed with how smooth it is. Like they're just floating down the slope on an air cushion. Doesn't seem like the REVL's design can do that, BUT, it is the only waterproof option out there. So there's that.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 am

Try a Go Pro 6. The digital stabilisation is pretty close to what gimbals can do. Way better than the example videos of the REVL.

ouno
Rare Poster
Gear: Neo / Pro Whip / Wam

Postby ouno » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:10 pm

stabilization != automatic horizon leveling

IMO the key feature of the Revl Arc is horizon leveling, not stabilization.
Stabilization can easily be performed automatically in post anyway, whereas manual horizon leveling is a tedious task, especially when the camera is in the kite lines. So I'd rather having it done automatically by the camera.

AFAIK the only GoPro which can do automatic horizon leveling is the GoPro Fusion. But the quality is disappointing when you reframe/zoom for a non-fisheye point of view (which is normal because you "only" record in 5K/30fps for the entire 360 FOV). I'm curious to see what is the result with a gopro fusion in the kite lines though, not sure which one produces the best footage between Revl Arc and GoPro Fusion... The GoPro Fusion weight can be a problem also I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGJDwPhJ5-U

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 pm

ouno wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:10 pm
stabilization != automatic horizon leveling

IMO the key feature of the Revl Arc is horizon leveling, not stabilization.
Stabilization can easily be performed automatically in post anyway.
Ummmm..... Not really on either statement. The #1 job of an external motorized gimbal is stabilization, NOT auto horizon. It's what makes just about any GoPro footage even watchable. Mtb or kiting. The entire premise of this camera was to internalize a gimbal for stability. The auto horizon is a nice feature that really is only to a kiters benefit. (maybe bungee jumpers....?)

The whole point (for myself at least, and assuming others) is to try to eliminate as much post work as possible. Stability is not easily done without a sizeable machine.(laptop/pc) I'm looking to just cut clips on my phone or tablet.

I'm just asking this cam to live up to it's tauted features before I even consider giving them a nickel. If it does - TAKE MY $$$!

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm

i think the rylo will live up to its potential, hopefully someone puts it on their kite lines soon and pops a video on youtube

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 pm

POACHER wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm
Believe me once this camera is in the hands of consumers, it better deliver on it's stabilization or it will be dead in the water before year one is half over. The mountain bike footage will be the proof for me and many others. Not needing a gimbal is really something mountain bikers have wanted for years.

If this thing is a dud, the mtb market (being giant) will make short work of it.

I hope for Revl that it delivers. If it does, I'll order one.
Check out this video from a guy who just got his. He says its filmed completely on the REVL.

The stabilisation (even the roll) and color depth look pretty bad to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP8k5zUaZrE

--
Gunnar

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Gmb13, I agree. colour is dull, grainy video. I hope Revl see's this and makes a comment.

Return to “Kitesurfing”