Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Postby andylc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

I just do not get why if they are days away from shipping the product why they haven't released a couple of production models to reputable reviewers who can put an article or two out there with an independent review of the thing. I would have purchased one by now if this was the case, but as it is I have no idea if the bloody thing actually works, what the image and stabilisation quality is like, how the video editing performs etc etc. Just plain ridiculous in my opinion!

ouno
Rare Poster
Gear: Neo / Pro Whip / Wam

Postby ouno » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:13 am

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:29 am

Well that video is quite disappointing.

At least from a surfing standpoint the stabilisation when mounted on the board looks pretty bad. I just shot some footage with the Hero 6 yesterday, and the stabilisation is better. Also the video quality of the REVL looks mediocre in this test video.

This is the footage from yesterday. The Go Pro is mounted on the nose of a 138L SUP Board. You can hear from the audio when the board bounces, and you barely see any movement, whereas on the review video you can see quite a bit of shake. I was hoping that the REVL would be much better.

https://youtu.be/B7lk0q-t4Ag

Also, the camera looks quite big (or the guys hands are super small) which is not a great thing.

They need to have a kiter review it. I want to see the review of the REVL working in a linemount. If that really works, that would be it's saving feature, but that last review is major "putoff" .

The app looks nice and easy to use though.

--
Gunnar

ouno
Rare Poster
Gear: Neo / Pro Whip / Wam

Postby ouno » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:39 pm

If the revl arc really works well with linemount and strumount systems, then it is enough to bring some interest in it imho.

However I still don't understand why gopro and other action cams with tons of integrated sensors (accelerometers and gyroscopes...) don't use these data to allow perfect post-treatment stabilization.
The drawback of mechanic live stabilization is power consumption, which scarifies either the autonomy or the weight of the system (which is important for linemount and strutmount systems).

Whereas post-stabilization using recorded accelerometer/gyroscope data works very well, see these examples from the SteadXP project:
https://fr-fr.facebook.com/SteadXP/vide ... 456513565/
https://fr-fr.facebook.com/anders.weitm ... 887035688/
But SteadXP isn't perfect neither because it forces you to plug another device to your existing camera, bringing problems related to autonomy, weight, form factor etc.

Gopros and other action cams already have the hardware to allow this directly in the camera, they just need to provide the software to use the data in the same way SteadXP does...

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:11 pm

I think if they would put an 8k sensor in it, then it would be possible. At the moment if limits the stabilisation to a 5% crop. If they would bump it up to 20 or 30% then you would get amazing results. That said, there are already issues with the 5% crop stabilisation. When you have a lot of movement, the footage starts looking weird, as all the software is doing is moving the frame around. If you look at my first Hero 6 video, you will notice the footage jumps around a bit when I pump the board.

https://youtu.be/47Z82Mv3WT4

This should be solved with having a bigger frame (higher res) to work with.

We will have to see what REVL actually brings to market. I hope the video is not totally representative of its capabilities. The really need to send it to a unbiased (unsponsored) kiter for a review. I have asked multiple times, and never heard back.

--
Gunnar

Brin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Auckland, New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Maina Iti Aitutaki
Waionui Lagoon
Style: easy
Gear: north rebel , evo, jaime
Has thanked: 0

Postby Brin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 pm

I preordered....several delays in delivery advised, latest communication a request to confirm delivery address...so, on the face of it, delivery looks like its coming...soon???

But their comms are frankly lousy; several requests for a line mount to be purchased and shipped with the camera are simply ignored; they create yet another 'ticket' for the support team, but nobody bothers to respond!

Three tickets on tickets on tickets now and still no response....is anyone home???

I'm confident they'll get there, but frankly client relations is not a very strong point with them so far...they have my $ , but I don't have much to show for it, even when I ask!

Hoping......

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:17 pm

latest email now says they are shipping starting on November 8th.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Anyone receive their camera yet?

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Have you seen the videos that Susie Mai has been posting with her revel? Keeps it steady, but it still rolls around a lot but at least its better than nothing.

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:27 pm

CaliRider wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:06 pm
Have you seen the videos that Susie Mai has been posting with her revel? Keeps it steady, but it still rolls around a lot but at least its better than nothing.

No... :cry:

Link please :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”