Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Revl Arc cam: Anybody preorder one?

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm

I've used it. It's a while ago now, but it worked great. Super easy to use. I think they have evolved the product even further now.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 am

alexrider wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:25 pm
I didn't preorder one. I preordered two. And I'm afraid I might end up with none. :jump:
I have friends who are part of the Revl team and they are super bummed that this has taken so long, but you will get cameras. There was some super heavy lifting engineering wise to be able to mass produce the stabilization mechanism from what I remember talking with them. They've literally been working on it for years.

Afoul
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mission Bay Park & Sail Bay
Favorite Beaches: REAL Slick
Style: Freeride and Surfing
Gear: Core XR4's, Boardriding Maui Clouds, Shinn Red/King Gee/Capri GT, Tomo Vanguard
Been thanked: 0

Postby Afoul » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 am

I've preordered 1-camera and a few of there initially offered accessories.

There was quite a long period, that ended about 4-6 weeks ago, of very little updates (either via e-mail or social media). But, now they are doing live video casts, there responses to questions in the Earlier Backer FB Group are decently quick, they are posting little videos from use cases, as well of still doing the standard monthly e-mail updates. They seemed to really get on it directly after announcing that there was going to be a 2 or 3 week delay (they were specific, I can't remember exactly) due to a supplier not being able to supply a part. Their live video casts have been really interesting regarding some accessories they will have have to offer. I'm guessing those will be available when they release their updated full and mobile website (that they also previewed in one of those video casts).

I've backed 5-different projects through Kickstarter & Indiegogo, all having to do with tech gadgets. All have delivered their product, and all were delayed to some degree. Of my experience with these 5 past instances, Revl will be in the middle as far as delay, but by far the most polished product & ecosystem supporting the product. The trick is can they sustain and really grab some GoPro market share. I think they they can, and REALLY REALLY hope they can. And not just because of the money I've put up for the Arc Camera right now. That has very little to do with it. From their, now more intense, product/accessories/tech advertising push you can see that Revl appears to have a good sense of the camera/video tech as well as anybody, but a much better sense of the use & users coupled with mobile/social culture. That's just my take from seeing the snippets of what they show they are working on in their shop. But it looks like mobile editing, via the user editing in app and AI help, video & physics info, and sharing are all going to be much more enjoyable. As someone who plans to use this little guy as important part of my travel kit this last bit is particularly important to me, and was not expected to be part of the overall package when I initially ponied up the money.

All the above said, we'll see how it shakes out. :-/ I'm hopeful, but will reserve judgement.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am

That's great news that they finally made it !!

Reviews please!

Afoul
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mission Bay Park & Sail Bay
Favorite Beaches: REAL Slick
Style: Freeride and Surfing
Gear: Core XR4's, Boardriding Maui Clouds, Shinn Red/King Gee/Capri GT, Tomo Vanguard
Been thanked: 0

Postby Afoul » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 pm

This is the accessory I was particularly interested in.

https://vimeo.com/225415240

https://vimeo.com/225415240

They've (Revl in Early Backers FB Group) showed this twice now in live video casts. Each time was a different iteration of the 2nd axis, so they are progressing on it. But you can see it uses the standard GoPro mount design at the end of the stick. In video where they showed it the 2nd time I believe the mentioned they hope for a price point $99 USD (or that could have been for their "Puck" sensor...they were showing off both at the same time).

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 pm

I just bought a w2 feiyu waterproof hand held gimbal. Tried it once so far it runs about $200. Problems so far, that battery life doesn't last long at all, especially when it's constantly moving, says 1 hour but only gives me 30 minutes of stability, second, you can't put a gopro + case like a 3 black on it, that weighs too much so it's only for smaller cams there's a spec on it about the weight limit but you want to be under it not right at it. What I did, I replaced the waterproof case with a home made waterproof bag for weight and it's barely enough for a plain hero 3 black. The feiyu is an option if you don't want to wait for the revl, but I need more time on the water with it to decide if it's any good. I might have to kludge up a waterproof battery pack for it or something. If the rev arc cam ends up having a long battery life I will switch to it I think. I paired my feiyu with a eken 4k cam ($100) so total cost is $300 for the same sort of functionality as the revl arc cam for a couple hundred less. I'll see if I can sort out my battery issues on my current setup, but it does make me worried about the revl arc cam, what their battery life is in real life, they claim 90 minutes but we'll see what we get when it's used in real life.

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:14 pm

As I have been saying about the Soloshot 3, they should have come out with a very basic model, just a camera with the gimbal, instead of loading it with a bunch of extra features. They would probably have satisfied customers by now. They may have been too ambitious with the extra features.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:07 am

Got an eMail today, production delayed another 20 days. Supposed to ship October 15th and be in peoples hands by the end of October.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 am

Apparently shipping now - but there are no reviews anywhere of the finished product, which seems strange to me. They look amazing but I'm still waiting until there are proper independent reviews before believing the hype, even if Nick Jacobsen is on board...

ouno
Rare Poster
Gear: Neo / Pro Whip / Wam

Postby ouno » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 am

Shipping starts in 2 weeks according to Revl facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/susimai/videos ... 560187387/

Click picture to play video:

https://www.facebook.com/susimai/videos ... 560187387/

Return to “Kitesurfing”