Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Gear from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Re: New Gear from Ocean Rodeo

Postby ORSales » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 pm

On vacation so I'll be spotty to respond this week but to add to this feedback, the leg straps on the S1-S3 all are attached high, by your hip. This is intentional and is done to allow the leg to swing naturally without binding. Harnesses that attach the leg strap lower, at the base of the harness will feel restrictive.

ladomi
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ladomi » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:07 am

I have a 2010 Mako King that I have been riding strapless for about 4 years. It has been amazing platform to progress on as it is so stable and smooth. Carving the board in a jibe is predictable and comfortable even in the chop on Lake Champlain that I mostly ride in. I now have tacks nearly dialed and have been working on roll tacks. Also the board powers upwind with ease.

I purchased a 5'2 Vanguard for wave riding in Hatteras. Thanks to the King I made the transition without too much difficulty and it is a fun board for down there. However it is way too bouncy in the chop on Lake Champlain.

I'm thinking the Jester would be perfect for the stronger wind and resultant bigger days we get on Champlain. Wondering how it handles chop and the upwind compares to the King? Also would like to know the weight of the Jester?

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:38 pm

ladomi wrote:I have a 2010 Mako King that I have been riding strapless for about 4 years. It has been amazing platform to progress on as it is so stable and smooth. Carving the board in a jibe is predictable and comfortable even in the chop on Lake Champlain that I mostly ride in. I now have tacks nearly dialed and have been working on roll tacks. Also the board powers upwind with ease.

I purchased a 5'2 Vanguard for wave riding in Hatteras. Thanks to the King I made the transition without too much difficulty and it is a fun board for down there. However it is way too bouncy in the chop on Lake Champlain.

I'm thinking the Jester would be perfect for the stronger wind and resultant bigger days we get on Champlain. Wondering how it handles chop and the upwind compares to the King? Also would like to know the weight of the Jester?
Ladomi - I've got probably one of the few Jesters in the "wild" and I have the Mako Duke from last year and love it. I rode the Mako King for awhile strapless with the deckpad, and I can say without a doubt that either the Duke or the Jester would be a nice upgrade over the King and Vanguard (in terms of dealing with chop). The Duke/Jester takes basically all of the things you like about the King (concave eating up chop, stability in gybing, etc) and puts it in a more directional package. I've gone back and forth between the Duke and various surfboards, but find myself coming back to the Duke because 9 times out of 10 when we have kiteable waves, it's not side-off, and smooth, peeling waves, it's choppy and side-on. So, I would definitely say the Duke is a major upgrade over the King if you are riding directional. I would say it's comparable to the King getting upwind.

Now - on to the Jester. I've got 3 decent sessions with it (2 have been lightish wind, 1 decent wind, crappy surf). I think it's basically like jumping from the Mako 150 down to a 140 as compared from the Duke to the Jester. It's much lighter and more nimble under foot. I would say it needs a bit more wind than the Duke to get upwind, but it's not a huge jump, probably a 1m difference in kite type of difference. I ride the Duke exclusively strapless, but I'm pondering throwing straps on the Jester when we have a ton of wind and seeing how it boosts. It also will be the board that I'll start trying to learn strapless airs on, it seems perfect for that given it's grip and light weight. I rode the Jester as both a quad and thruster, for now I prefer the thruster setup as the quad gets a bit squirrelly with my foot on the stomp pad.

So all in all, I'd get the Jester if you are in higher winds, and want something to complement the King.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:44 pm

adamj2281 wrote:So all in all, I'd get the Jester if you are in higher winds, and want something to complement the King.
Thanks for the helpful post Adam!

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rbgar » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 am

Great gear from a great company :thumb:

ladomi
Medium Poster

Postby ladomi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:07 am

Thanks for the detailed reply Adam!

I'm feeling like I could use something a little more snappy in onshore so looks like I better start saving my pennies for a Jester. Also may have to think about a Duke too! Would you say the Jester eats chop better than the King?

ORSales - I'm curious about the weight of the Jester and Duke?

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello OR,
I wish to buy a Session 3 Hybrid harness (with leg straps). Since there aren't any kite shop selling OR gear anywhere near where I am, I cannot try for the correct size before I buy.
From Ocean Rodeo's site:
L: 36″ – 40″
XL: 40″ – 44″
Note: Sizing range overlaps and is based on harness with bathing suit. Add 1-2” for wetsuit or drysuit use and size up one size or down one size for more or less back support.

My present harness which I had for years is a Mystic size XL, 36-38 according to the sewn label. There doesn't seem to be a similar model on their catalogue (they've got either waist or fully seated).
I hesitate between L and XL, considering I'll rarely use a thin wet suit. I measured my waist as 40" (in spite of having 38 size trousers :-? ).
My questions are the following:
Where exactly one should measure to get the correct size? At hips or at waist?
What is actually larger on the XL; all the parts including the spreader bar or just the side straps?
Are there shops in Europe and Asia that have stock?

BTW, I also want to get a replacement for my old, worn and trusted Mako Wide.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Alex, thanks for reaching out! I would go with size Large if you like a "firm" or "snug" fit. For example, officially on our size chart I should wear a medium harness as I am a 32" waist but I prefer the small as I like my harness to fit tight.

To answer your questions, measure at the thinnest part of your waist - usually above your hips. As for shops, we have a good network of European shops which I can connect you with or you can order on our website. Our site is 95% fulfilled by local dealers (orders received are sent automatically to the closest stocking dealer).

The old "Mako Wide" is now the new Mako 150. In the new models of these boards, the 150 is slightly more $$ as it comes with extra fins and strap inserts to allow you to rig the board in mutant mode (great for downwinders). If you only ride twin tip mode, consider the 140cm!

John
Last edited by ORSales on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:05 pm

Rbgar wrote:Great gear from a great company :thumb:
Thanks!!
ladomi wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Adam!

I'm feeling like I could use something a little more snappy in onshore so looks like I better start saving my pennies for a Jester. Also may have to think about a Duke too! Would you say the Jester eats chop better than the King?

ORSales - I'm curious about the weight of the Jester and Duke?
In Quad fin set up the Duke is 8.6lbs and the Jester is 7.1lbs... all Makos handle the chop very well with both the Duke and Jester overcoming the traditional issues with more buoyant surf boards of nose chatter or bobbing.

ladomi
Medium Poster

Postby ladomi » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:17 am

Wow, that's light for a tough construction with 4 fins and a pad.

Return to “Kitesurfing”