Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Apple Watch Series 2...

Postby CaliRider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 pm

andylc wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:40 pm
Earlier comments seem quite clear that the Apple Watch does not have the quality of waterproofing that kitesurfing would require.
I disagree. Apple wouldn't approve an app which places their hardware in situations which are damaging to the product. They also show their watches being used in surfing in their advertisements. Seems to me that Apple is ok with using their watch in the water in sports like ours. Looking at the Xenser website - they appear to be partnered with Apple and theres no way that apple would work with them if waterproofing was an issue. Looks like their making a jump away from their own product to working with products like apple which makes a lot of sense given reviews on their product. Blows my mind to think that a kiteboarding tech company is working with the likes of Apple! :jump:

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ldmelo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm

ldmelo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 pm
249usd for the Woo is a joke... I bought a top notch android watch (huawei watch 2) for less than that, 230usd. I can track my runs, bike rides, sync everything to strava, and I can install a bunch of apps from Google play store.

For kitesurfing I usually remove the armband, put the watch in a bag and keep it in my pocket to track GPS, distance, duration, etc. I did have a few sessions with it on my arm... no problems , but I stopped doing this, because it is not really waterproof (ip68 only) and people told me salt water would eventually damage the watch.

Reading this thread I started wondering if there is a way to use it to measure my jumps.. any apps for android wear??
Just a follow up... after a quick research I did find an up for android wear on google play store, but it is just for checking the jump results online during the sessions (watch will show xsenr readings). So... it seems a android wear watch could register your GPS track, heart rate, session duration, etc (even call an uber after a downwind), but not the jump height.. for that a dedicated device is still needed. ,

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Got my watch, got the app and just need wind. :jump:

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Duuuuuuuuuuddessssss! It freaking works! Got a quick ride in yesterday and man when you ride out of a landing and look at the watch and your jump is right there!! :jump: makes you wanna jump more freakin love it! speed is super neat......im faster than I thought I was so thats rad. :o
Checking your map afterwards is sweet and calories is cool as it justifies another beer. Winning! hahaha dude with a wooo at the park was looking glum when he saw all my stats from a freaking free app!!!! hahahahahahahahahaa i bet he listed it on ebay last night. hahahahaha

Xensr
Rare Poster
Gear: n
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Xensr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm

CaliRider wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:17 pm
Duuuuuuuuuuddessssss! It freaking works! Got a quick ride in yesterday and man when you ride out of a landing and look at the watch and your jump is right there!! :jump: makes you wanna jump more freakin love it! speed is super neat......im faster than I thought I was so thats rad. :o
Checking your map afterwards is sweet and calories is cool as it justifies another beer. Winning! hahaha dude with a wooo at the park was looking glum when he saw all my stats from a freaking free app!!!! hahahahahahahahahaa i bet he listed it on ebay last night. hahahahaha
Absolutely stoked to hear everything worked well for you! (We'd be even more stoked if you'd post that review to iTunes :wink: ) We just pushed out another release today that enables leaderboards for kite. As always, it's a work in progress, so let us know what you think!

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:08 pm

I’ve been wearing my aw2 now for a year . Have probably ridden 100 times with it . Zero issues with water ingress l. Sand gets under the crown occasionally but a quick rinse resolves that. Enjoy the app and the aw2

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Oh and xensr please do fix the units issue
App metric watch imperial

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 pm

alunj wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:08 pm
I’ve been wearing my aw2 now for a year . Have probably ridden 100 times with it . Zero issues with water ingress l.

Same here!

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 am

I have the series 2. I have used it KB for almost a year with the STRAVA app. NO issues. I did have to switch the watch/screen protector because I would have to remove it to change screens etc. when the watch surface was wet , but now, with the right screen protector, water is not an issue! great watch.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:04 pm

What does the Xensr app for the AppleWatch cost?

Very interested to hear about user experiences!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”