Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiters Banned !

Forum for kitesurfers
windventor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Aeolia(home island)
Favorite Beaches: The beach is where I launch...the waters are where I play: Aeolia, OBX, Cabarete, Fairfield(USA), Mamaia(Ro)...more coming!
Style: Above the water riding...
Gear: Aeolian prototype kite, Aeolian model d twintip, old ass mystic harness, WET Case, Triple Action Pump.
Brand Affiliation: Aeolian Watersports
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiters Banned !

Postby windventor » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:10 am

Fellow Kiters,

I want to talk to you about kites vs birds. Specifically about kiters vs bird enthusiasts and how the bird enthusiasts can get kiters banned from the beach.

As kiters, we’re general members of the public when it comes to beach access. We walk in, or pay for parking stickers, gain access just like everybody else and use the beach for recreational purposes. We might know the smiling girl, posted up in a lawn chair at the entrance, but we rarely interact with park authorities.

The times we do interact with an official is when he’s telling us that we’re bad for the beach and we need to go home. You’re doing your favorite thing in the world, wide smiled and ecstatic because you’re doing that which you love - FLYING A KITE UNTIL YOUR ARMS FALL OFF - then someone comes and tells you that you’re done! GO HOME!

So you think: “I’m done when the wind’s done ALSO I have every right to use these public lands to pursue that which brings me joy. Who do you think you are…you public servant! I pay my taxes!”

That's how tensions run high…whether I tell it to his face or think it in my head & the above example shows why we might not have the best relations with park authorities.

Who does have good relations with park authorities??
The bird enthusiasts...Some work for the parks directly or have friends who work for the parks and they know how to mind their P’s and Q’s and F*ck You’s.

The Audubon SocietY even does Lobbying with the government! They know how to keep the graces of people making the rules.

So when the question comes up: "Do we ban kitesurfing because birds are(allegedly) being distressed by the kites?” I think I know who the park supervisor will be backing.

This can be fixed so that we never get Banned and get a fair voice in the management of our parks & playgrounds!

Diplomacy from all of kitesurfers should be the first step.

BUT not all kitesurfers are diplomatic and, when tensions run high, this becomes even harder. Kitesurfers are passionate about our sport and we aren't the type that quit! SO forcing us to quit will evoke some passions and emotions for sure.

This is not the way to make friends...especially friends that make the rules & the laws.

We need to organize:
-We should have a representative group(a Kiters Alliance) to speak on the behalf of all kiters - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
-We need to hire Lobbyists at the state capitol to make our Legislators aware that we exist! That the majority of us are highly functioning members of society: Doctors, Lawyers, Business Executives, Entrepreneurs, etc…
-We need one voice that will not call the Park Supervisor a D*******D ... he’s just trying to keep his boss happy.
-Donations to pay the lobbyists fees will also help(those lawyers among us can also volunteer to help here)
-Signatures(ESP the Doctors, Lawyers & Business Executives), also Social Media Shares and General Support for this cause that affects us all.

Otherwise, one day, we might be looking at a sign telling us to Go Home!

Windiest Wishes
Rev. Vlad Alexandrescu

p.s. A note to Trols: Please know that your rants will not be read BUT filed directly into my FANBOX.
I will consider your 'running your mouth off' as a compliment.
Thank you for your emotions...misguided and lost as they may be.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiters Banned !

Postby windrider1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Is that a legit sign posted at jones beach in LI new York banning kitesurfing. When did that happen , just curious ive seen kites there up until recently.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:35 pm

windrider1 wrote:Is that a legit sign posted at jones beach in LI new York banning kitesurfing. When did that happen , just curious ive seen kites there up until recently.
That sign looks photo shopped.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:03 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first post.

windventor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Aeolia(home island)
Favorite Beaches: The beach is where I launch...the waters are where I play: Aeolia, OBX, Cabarete, Fairfield(USA), Mamaia(Ro)...more coming!
Style: Above the water riding...
Gear: Aeolian prototype kite, Aeolian model d twintip, old ass mystic harness, WET Case, Triple Action Pump.
Brand Affiliation: Aeolian Watersports

Postby windventor » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:32 pm

windrider1 wrote:Is that a legit sign posted at jones beach in LI new York banning kitesurfing. When did that happen , just curious ive seen kites there up until recently.
I pulled this picture from the net. Not sure if it was up recently or some time in the past. It looks very obnoxious though doesn't it?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:44 pm

If you read the NY state park regulations just about everything is banned...biking, pets, golfing, surfing, swimming in non-designated areas, etc.

"But I'm just practicing my chip shot, knocking these golf balls gently off into this empty field with no bystanders or people around me"

^ the park cops have just as much a right to boot you as they do if you try to launch a power kite. The state park rules are stupid regardless of your recreation, kiting is just much more visible.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Not sure if sign is legit, but yes kitesurfing is banned in Jones beach state park, but state park is only a small part of jones beach island, as far as I know it's still allowed to kite at the usual spot on jones beach island: Gilgo, Tobay, Oak beach.
There are a lot of signs about protecting piping plover. A big chunk of fire island at democratic point is for bird only.

Some people occasionally kite at the main beaches but they usually get kicked out.

As a general rule you can't kite at New York state parks but not all beach are state park...

The whole bird thing is weird because boating in the great south bay is allowed and that must disturb birds a lot more with noise and gasoline... Also at one of the main beach in jones beach state park it's allowed to fly kites (non-kitesurfing) but not allowed to kite...

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:22 pm

what were you guys doing?
surely something precipitated this, regulations dont come out of thin air...its usually some douche bag that ruins it for everyone...
were you flying in and out of bird sanctuary areas?
was it a bad apple among you that you couldn't reel in?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:37 am

I don't think the sign is legit so no need to get excited about it. ive been around to see this sport grow from the beginnings in like the year 2000 and luckily we have not had any major issues so far here on the east coast . I think most kiters look out for one another but ive noticed that vibe has changed as the years have gone by and u get a few a$$Holes who just care about themselves or look dwn upon newbies instead of helping out if necessary. I'm all for some sort of organization and structure but not sure how that will really work. Luckily this sport is very difficult to learn,, very expensive for gear and kites,, very time consuming and lastly can be very dangerous also so I don't expect to see a huge increase in people doing it any time soon and its probally better that way.

NYKiter wrote:what were you guys doing?
surely something precipitated this, regulations dont come out of thin air...its usually some douche bag that ruins it for everyone...
were you flying in and out of bird sanctuary areas?
was it a bad apple among you that you couldn't reel in?

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Rangers at Tobay beach said no more kitesurfing at Tobay beach bay side. One of the best spot in New York with access to great South Bay, better slicks than OBX!
IMG_2232.PNG
Last Tuesday someone decided to go kiting there offshore and got rescue from some marches, even though wind sucks in those condition and there are plenty of other spot available...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nass ... 1.12472258

Return to “Kitesurfing”