Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Self Drift Launch

forum for kitesurfers

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Self Drift Launch

Postby ronnie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 am

edt wrote:It's pretty nice if you can drift launch by unwrapping your bar first. But you can't do that at every site. The nicest drift launch is where you can put your kite right between the waters edge and beach and just walk out into the water and then tension the lines to launch. My most sketch location is my local pond where I have to jump into the water with my kite, swim out, and then unwrap the lines. You can't unwrap the bar first because there are too many tree branches in the water that will snag it. You have no other option but to do a drift launch by unwrapping the bar. I'm not sure there's any best way to drift launch.

PD Gorby 67
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Lake Erie, Ontario
Gear: Zeeko B&W Foil
BRM Cloud D 4.8, 8, 13.4 - 10 to 25 knots
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby PD Gorby 67 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:50 pm

Hey edt, I just saw your down winding video from page 2.

It made me realize that all drift launch scenarios are different, and you can never come up with one that will work for all people in all situations.

Biggest thing to remember when doing drift launches, of any kind, is to be very aware of the additional risks and to have a bail out plan when and if something goes wrong.

On a side note, the above video will only work if there is no debris in the shallows when walking out. At my local launches, this would be impossible since there is always weeds in the shallows that would add about 10 pounds of crap to my lines while walking out into the water. Again, need to be careful, and every situation is unique.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:52 pm

Wrote about it a while ago, and it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I have had good success at locations requiring a swimming deep water drift launch by prepping my lines for smooth easy deployment from a nylon stuff sack. I tick tack the lines onto my hand by figure eighting around thumb and pinky across my palm from bar end to kite and carefully load the folded in half ball of lines into a snug fitting light weight nylon stuff sack so the lines deploy from the center of the ball. Swim out holding the bar with sack together. Water on the canopy, drift and the lines have threaded out of the sack cleanly. Think its 8 for 8 attempts now in a variety of wind strengths from around 12 knots to gusty and over 20.

As mentioned, different techniques suit different spots. I prefer to have the line unwound and just drag them into the water as they trail behind in a big "U", but in locations like the one mentioned with weeds or a lot of snags on land, the stuff sack method has been working well.

Note. I fully tested the technique by packing the stuff sack then dropping the weighted end of the lines off a height to be sure the lines would come out cleanly. I suggest you do the same. There is technique in it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Starsky wrote: I tick tack the lines onto my hand by figure eighting around thumb and pinky across my palm from bar end to kite and carefully load the folded in half ball of lines into a snug fitting light weight nylon stuff sack so the lines deploy from the center of the ball. Swim out holding the bar with sack together. Water on the canopy, drift and the lines have threaded out of the sack cleanly. Think its 8 for 8 attempts now in a variety of wind strengths from around 12 knots to gusty and over 20.
Viddy some day please? I can't figure out what the advantage of the sack is instead of say, a little hair tie holding the lines together.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Im not really into filming myself. The properly loaded sack gives perfect deployment of the lines every time. They are compact and snag free while swimming out there and come out of the bag at whatever pace the kite drifts in a long straight line with no loops that can potentially fowl. It is similar to the bucket method but only leaves you with a tiny nylon sack you can stuff in a pocket or in the sleeve of a wetsuit. It's really only for deep water swimming drift launch. If you can wade, tether, have a boat or even just drag the lines cleanly behind you into the water, there are better options. Deep water swimming drift launch is the holy grail of drift launching. I rarely need it, but getting good at it leaves very few spots un kiteable.

Prior to that I had always unwound from the bar, but if you like to have the safety pre deployed so the kite is disabled and can only ever tension one line, that line will bite into the others while on the bar, making unwinding difficult and often leading to a bit of a mess. No big deal in 10 knots, not so great in 20.

This is how I do the lines, and my stuff sack is much smaller. Its just big enough to hold the folded over wad of lines snugly so they cannot be jostled and move around in the bag while swimming.

https://youtu.be/Hpt-OG4d8oE
Last edited by Starsky on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks that helps. I figured it was something like that but couldn't be sure without the viddy.

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:47 pm

I tried a location not too long ago that I had to walk out for the first time and unwind my bar. The tide was constantly pulling my lines upwind and behind me no matter what I did and it was just too deep to play games with it so I just packed it in and called it quits. Never seen my lines do that before on a drift launch, specially first time having to unwind.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:05 am

Dude, You seem to get yourself into the kinds of sketch it took me years to attempt! Nice to see your eventual sense of judgement is solid. Gotta be ready to abort.

Once had a quiver of 5 line C kites that had the 5th line attachments located far enough around the outside of the LE that the kites would fly upside-down from the 5th line in a stable manner. You could literally wade out with the kite flying from the bar on about 2-3m of 5th line. Let it out another few m to swim out, then let it out by careful unwinding from the bar. they would only come down once the other four lines hit some tension at the end. Do a standard 5th line relaunch and your riding. At the end, you could revers the procedure and safely walk out of the water board in one hand and the kite flying off the other. Awesome when exiting rocky shore break or line coating weeds.

I kinda miss those kites.

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:45 am

Starsky, I'm pretty careful, I've listened carefully to the advice here and learned from yall with years of experience. I try to always make sure there is a plan B if shit goes wrong.

Saying that, I watched that video and I'm sure that shit will unwind itself nicely 95% of the time, but I've seen too many tangles to even try to understand how lines can get crossed and lines get tangled to even try that method unless the only thing downwind of me is water and vegetation. How are you controlling the speed of the release on the lines you've wound up? Are you releasing the kite and letting the kite pull the lines or squeezing the pouch here and there to unload the line prior to the kite release?

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cypher 7 & Cypher 9, Reo 8m, Naish Trip 10m, Switch NitroII 10m Pansh A15 12m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:02 am

lovethepirk wrote: Saying that, I watched that video and I'm sure that shit will unwind itself nicely 95% of the time, but I've seen too many tangles to even try to understand how lines can get crossed and lines get tangled to even try that method unless the only thing downwind of me is water and vegetation.
You realize trees are considered 'vegetation'?
I would not advise on trying this within seconds distance of tree like vegetation..

Interesting topic. I won't need this at my spots but will try it out and bring it with me for holiday trips if it suits me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”