Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:25 pm

topmick wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:16 am
Frappes wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 am
NorCalNomad wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:58 am
I'm just a touch south of 70kg and paddle surf a 5'1" no problem even on mushy stuff.
Hey Nomad,

What's your paddle fitness? When you mention mushy stuff, what exactly are you talking about - 3-5ft slop at Lindamar, or something a bit better? I've got about 1-2 kgs on you and I'm debating if the 5'1" would have enough volume. I've tried paddling my 5'0" vanguard (in mush) and couldn't quite get it going.
For what it's worth, I'm a fairly fit 50yo & have a 5'3 HEVO.
Weigh 73kgs, my paddle fitness is only average but have had some great surf's when the waves have some power.
I'm about to order a 5'6 or 5'7 in LFT for a groveller.
If your young or really paddle fit I think the 5'1 will be ok volume wise.
Huh guess my reply didn't go through. Paddle fitness is pretty average/meh right now, I need to get into shape for OB fall/winter. I'm in my late 20's

Yeah I'm definitely talking about the slop at Lindamar. My 5'1" Evo paddles better than my 5'2" Vanguard for sure (but have ridden that and the evo at like 2-3ft Bolinas), and maybe slightly better than my 5'3" Vader (in Kite FST), and only a little harder than my 5'1" Baked Potato, and my 5'6" Album Riot (Nano copy). Way easier to paddle into waves than my DHD DX1 that is sub 26L...except for paddling the Evo and Vader around Ocean Beach always seems harder than a normal short board for some reason :?:

I would NOT get an Evo that long of a length for your weight. Maybe 5'4" at most, but one of the problems with the MPH designs (especially the EVO) once you start to upsize them is that you have to surf SUPER rear foot heavy since they hold so much foam in the tail.

I used to have a 5'6" Vanguard for small days / kinda an OB board and ran into that problem. Also when you start trying to really upsize it that magic center point that normally sits under your front foot (or slightly behind) moves too forward. I think Chris talked about that front foot to wide point position in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDZwESf--M

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:09 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:25 pm
topmick wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:16 am
Frappes wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 am

Hey Nomad,

What's your paddle fitness? When you mention mushy stuff, what exactly are you talking about - 3-5ft slop at Lindamar, or something a bit better? I've got about 1-2 kgs on you and I'm debating if the 5'1" would have enough volume. I've tried paddling my 5'0" vanguard (in mush) and couldn't quite get it going.
For what it's worth, I'm a fairly fit 50yo & have a 5'3 HEVO.
Weigh 73kgs, my paddle fitness is only average but have had some great surf's when the waves have some power.
I'm about to order a 5'6 or 5'7 in LFT for a groveller.
If your young or really paddle fit I think the 5'1 will be ok volume wise.
Huh guess my reply didn't go through. Paddle fitness is pretty average/meh right now, I need to get into shape for OB fall/winter. I'm in my late 20's

Yeah I'm definitely talking about the slop at Lindamar. My 5'1" Evo paddles better than my 5'2" Vanguard for sure (but have ridden that and the evo at like 2-3ft Bolinas), and maybe slightly better than my 5'3" Vader (in Kite FST), and only a little harder than my 5'1" Baked Potato, and my 5'6" Album Riot (Nano copy). Way easier to paddle into waves than my DHD DX1 that is sub 26L...except for paddling the Evo and Vader around Ocean Beach always seems harder than a normal short board for some reason :?:

I would NOT get an Evo that long of a length for your weight. Maybe 5'4" at most, but one of the problems with the MPH designs (especially the EVO) once you start to upsize them is that you have to surf SUPER rear foot heavy since they hold so much foam in the tail.

I used to have a 5'6" Vanguard for small days / kinda an OB board and ran into that problem. Also when you start trying to really upsize it that magic center point that normally sits under your front foot (or slightly behind) moves too forward. I think Chris talked about that front foot to wide point position in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDZwESf--M
Thanks for the advise NCN, I'm going to demo a 5'6 & also I rode my mates 5'8 Evo in crappy conditions & really enjoyed the increase in my paddle power due to the extra volume.
There's a fair bit of info on using an oversized Evo as a groveller on the FW Forum.
I'd also like to have a look at an Omni as a possibility because of the pulled in tail.

effisk
Medium Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Switch Kites
Brand Affiliation: Switch Kites Ambassador

Postby effisk » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:23 pm

Jan:) wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 am
NorCalNomad wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm
Are you doing strapless airs?
Yeah, even had some pretty bad landings on this one.
Time will tell how well thay last.
effisk wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:27 pm
what size is that? I weighed my 5'1 out of the box at 2.835kg
5'1
Jealous! 257g difference for the same board! :cry:

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:42 am

FireWire is going to discontinue their FST technology in their surfboard line. It will be replaced with the new helium technology. Not sure how it will affect their kiteboards, however, a friend that rides for them says the Helium is stronger then FST. He has just been kiting with a stock Helium surfboard and after a few sessions already, no heel dents and solid. The Firewire kite construction has always been too heavy for my taste. A 6oz 3/4 top deck with another 4 oz front foot patch is all you need for kiting with the FST. Their kite construction is overkill IMO. Helium technology might the new answer for stronger and lighter kite surfboards.

topmick
Frequent Poster
FireWire

Postby topmick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:42 am
FireWire is going to discontinue their FST technology in their surfboard line. It will be replaced with the new helium technology. Not sure how it will affect their kiteboards, however, a friend that rides for them says the Helium is stronger then FST. He has just been kiting with a stock Helium surfboard and after a few sessions already, no heel dents and solid. The Firewire kite construction has always been too heavy for my taste. A 6oz 3/4 top deck with another 4 oz front foot patch is all you need for kiting with the FST. Their kite construction is overkill IMO. Helium technology might the new answer for stronger and lighter kite surfboards.
Helium Tech in kite construction has been out for 6 months already mate.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:45 am

@ Topmick,
I might have been mistaken. A friend of mine who owns a surfshop told me Firewire was discontinuing the FST for Helium Tech only. In hindsight, I'm wondering if he just meant the Sweet Potato(now Chum Lee). Do you know if they are discontinuing the FST construction?

topmick
Frequent Poster
FireWire

Postby topmick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:32 am

Yes, I think your friend is correct - Helium is replacing FST.

I also think it's strange that Evo,s are only available in FST & now Helium in kite construction only. (Not paddle surfboard construction)
Last edited by topmick on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

effisk
Medium Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Switch Kites
Brand Affiliation: Switch Kites Ambassador

Postby effisk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:42 am
He has just been kiting with a stock Helium surfboard and after a few sessions already, no heel dents and solid. The Firewire kite construction has always been too heavy for my taste. A 6oz 3/4 top deck with another 4 oz front foot patch is all you need for kiting with the FST. Their kite construction is overkill IMO.
Do you jump at all? I've tried the regular FST technology, it's fine until you jump. Then it break.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 pm

Yes, I do. With the modified deck, I have only buckled one board. It cracked just beyond the 3/4 layer of cloth. My front slipped too far forward and I came down too hard. It just buckled the top of the board, so I put a big strip of gorilla tape on it. I still ride that board today with the tape on it. My buddy has his FST boards modified the same way and I don't believe he's buckled one yet. I just got a FST Nano on craigs and had it modified as described. I have a vanguard in kite construction with the same volume. The vanguard feels twice as heavy.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:49 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:45 am
@ Topmick,
I might have been mistaken. A friend of mine who owns a surfshop told me Firewire was discontinuing the FST for Helium Tech only. In hindsight, I'm wondering if he just meant the Sweet Potato(now Chum Lee). Do you know if they are discontinuing the FST construction?
The Sweet Potato and Chum Lee are different boards

Return to “Kitesurfing”