Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

next kites to consider?

Forum for kitesurfers
echo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: L.I -> Great South Bay, Stehli, Bayville, Oak - Gilgo, West Meadow.
NYC -> Plumb, Breezy Point, CBB, Seagate.
Favorite Beaches: all of them.
kite spots - i've been to hood river and cape hatteras and like them both. i guess i'd have to say i like cape hatteras the most.
Style: playful
Gear: cabrinhas '10 and '11 switchblades (6m 8m and 10m); north jaime pro and paris boards
looking to get into wave and surf
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

next kites to consider?

Postby echo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:16 pm

i currently ride a quiver of 2010 and 2011 cab switchblades. i like them, but i dislike how slow turning they are, and the bar pressure is just too much. also i'm a woman and bar reach was such an issue for me. the 2011 cab bar was a bit better with bar reach.

i remember 2010-2011 north rebel kites to be a lot more fast turning and lighter bar pressure.

i haven't demo'd kites since 2011, i'm starting to get into kiting more often (i hope). for the next quiver, should i look into

-north rebel?
-north neo?
-cabrinha drifter?

what would you recommend if you've demo'd or use these kites?

have cab switchblades changed much from 2010-2011?

thanks for any advice.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Re: next kites to consider?

Postby jeromeL » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:32 pm

I tried a recent switchblade, they are still slow and don't have a great bar feel.
In comparable freeride kite switchblade is one with the most bar pressure!

If you want the step up from switchblade you can consider FX. It's fast with direct steering. It has light bar pressure, you can also move steering line to a lower bar pressure/faster turning.

I didn't try rebel, neo or drifter.

echo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: L.I -> Great South Bay, Stehli, Bayville, Oak - Gilgo, West Meadow.
kite spots - i've been to hood river and cape hatteras and like them both. i guess i'd have to say i like cape hatteras the most.
Gear: cabrinhas '10 and '11 switchblades (6m 8m and 10m); north jaime pro and paris boards

Postby echo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:03 pm

thanks for the tip! i'll be sure to test FX

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Whilst I wouldn't say the North Rebel is slow (some might) but it certainly wouldn't be considered fast turning. The Neo is much more reactive. The Dice more again but its a more advanced kite. Depends on what you want. The usage wheels on the North site are pretty helpful there (reactive steering scores)

The North bar has an excellent adjustable bar throw system. You just adjust the height of the trim block on the depower line. You get the whole sheeting range of the kite regardless of your arm length. I'm sure plenty of other brands have the same thing (anyone that doesn't have plastic tubing on the depower anyway)

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Naish Pivot is a very nice allround kite with quick turning as it is also recommended for waves. Bar pressure is low. You can get a bar with below the bar depower, so reaching to it is no issue. Some don't like the handling of it, but it is a simple technique. They also have a version with above the depower which is similar to the standard North bar.
2015/16/17 are more or less identical so if you are on a budget, get a last year's model.

echo
Rare Poster

Postby echo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:20 pm

my friend has the dice. i will have to borrow his kite the next time we are out on the water. and i will check out the north website, thanks!

thanks for the status of the north bar these days @nothing2seehere

and @Dirk thanks for the thoughts about the Naish Pivot. i have never rigged and ridden a non-cab or non-north and i do worry about learning a new rigging system altogether. but it looks like i should try more and branch out and then if i like it, to learn the system. locals here were always going on about the f-one bandit but i never tried.

i suppose i have some kites to demo before getting the next quiver. thanks for the ideas about what to focus on...!

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:40 pm

I'll leave commenting on the specific kites you mention to others but.... Bar reach is something better dealt with now than in 2011 I believe. North, Core , Best (and an increasing number of other brands) have sliding cam cleat systems on the centre lines which can be adjusted to suit those with shorter arms. New for 2017 North and Ocean Rodeo also have back line trim systems which do away with the need for the trimmer strap all together.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Since you're used to 4 line kites I'd recommend that's what you stay with, and if the 6/8/10 works for you then stay with those sizes. To be fair all current 4 line kites rig pretty much the same with equal length lines. If you want Cabrinha then the FX's will be nice, if you want North then Dice's will be nice. But do avoid the so-called "Gamechanger" Cabrinha Powerball and North Click bars. Get a bar with a cleat system and bar stopper so that you can set the reach to what's convenient for you.

Good luck x

echo
Rare Poster

Postby echo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:21 pm

thank you @windybrit and @iriejohn, i have to go look those up.

have work cut out for me...so much research and testing ahead ...!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:29 pm

SBs are great kites for freeride and boosting, same with Rebel. Both are on the slow side and have heavy to medium bar pressure. FX is much faster and has med to light bar pressure, but has bad low end, and not as easy to boost. EVO is the best of both worlds IMO, great range, good boost, good turning, med pressure.

I have owned all 4 and like the EVO the best, then SB, Rebel, and FX the least. just my opinion.

http://www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/kites/ ... o-9m-2016/

Return to “Kitesurfing”