Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: strong and light surfboard

Postby Daversj » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Have you looked at Canibal CoreVac boards.. I think they use like 4 layers of aerospace cloth and then vac bag them with epoxy.. more flexible than standard epoxy boards but stronger.
I use the Conduit in 5'10. Very light and strong. Only slightly heavier than a comparable polyester surf board. They do custom colors and sizes. Price run about 750-850 depending on options. Many of of friends use them, mostly strapless but they will do inserts for straps.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:06 pm

lewmt wrote:The Spleene Zone boards & Lightwave DV8 boards are as bombproof as anything. Not as light as foam boards. Nice & flexy in chop tho.
Fyi the 5'7 Litewave DV8 G2 is 3.3kg. The 5'0 Firewire Vanguard KiteFST is 3.4kg, so to say foam boards are lighter is not exactly true... especially with kite constructed surfboards.
I use a DV8 G2 as my beater and training board. Super durable, super fast, and super smooth through any chop.
knotwindy wrote:There is also a different type of board you might want to look at,
Like the Lightwave DV8 or the old Underground Kipuna, now made by Axis but can't remember the new name. Basically marine ply with rails added, crazy strong, pretty good feel for airs.
+1 for the DV8 G2 or the Axis NewWave. I've ridden both boards and have found the DV8 to be faster. I believe it's because Dave reduced the toe-cant of the front fins, so there's less drag vs a traditional layup.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:32 pm

If you're looking for light and strong, check out Loyd Kite Surfboards. My 5'8 Kite Rocket is 2.72kg.
https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2012/11/ ... urfboards/

With Loyd kite surfboards, you will get heel dents, but no delams. Think of it as breaking in a pair of Birkenstock sandals... the board conforms to your feet over time. F-One actually builds this feature into their kite surfboards calling it "Camel Drive Deck".

Loyd surfboards are made in California and are designed for kiting strong and powerful waves and landing hard on aerial tricks. It's why I got one!
https://vimeo.com/47374140

I'm not affiliated with Loyd, I just know a good thing when I find it!

Btw, I also heard really good things about Doyle Surfboards and North Pacific Surfboards, but not sure about their weights.

RETZ
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RETZ » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Find an old Aviso carbon fiber board. They are not made anymore but are bomber. Hollow so they absorb a lot of the stress of strapless landings. I had the same issues as you and have two Aviso boards now that I have had for several years. They are sick!! Hard to find though and can be expensive.

another alternative is http://doylecustom.com nearly unbreakable and a bit heavier than your average kiteboard.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 am

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:32 pm
They don't surf as well as normal surfboards but Ocean Rodeo's Mako Duke (and probably Jester) are quite good in the air and super strong.

I use a 2015 Cab Secret Weapon and it's great in the air even though it's not that light. It's held up well to many hard landings.

I also use a Exile full carbon skimboard that is amazingly light and super strong. It's my light wind option and lots of fun.
do you know how much the secret weapon weighs ?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 am

jespin4845 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:32 pm
started doing strapless aerials and have cracked two board in a week...frustrated that kite surfboards cas curn't take my 5 foot heel drops

felt a jimmy lewis surfboard the other day and i felt it was super light, and i love my jimmy paddle boards, super strong also, anyone have issues with their jimmy kite surfboards?

i have broken a north nugget and a slingshot screamer :evil: :angryfire: i thought they would hold up to more
Generally there is not a free lunch to be had when it comes to weight to strength on surfboards. When that is said, getting a slightly smaller board might give you a better longevity. My buddy used to go through a board every 2 months or so...but figured he had to work on his technique. His current Naish Global has lasted him for 2 seasons now which is a huge record for him...the board is strong, but also a bit more narrow than his old boards. I use the Skater for strapless tricks, and it is super light..but I am also not extremely hard on that board. Another board to practice on would be a BRM paipo...that board is super strong and fun, but not a regular surfboard.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:29 am

clint2070 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 am
do you know how much the secret weapon weighs ?
My boards:
- Cab Secret Weapon 5-2: 9.4 lbs
- Exile DC (tailpad + archbar + wax): 5.4 lbs
- Shinnster + launchpad: 9.2 lbs
- OR Jester Quad: 7.6 lbs
- Slingshot SP 5-0 wake construction: 7.7 lbs

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:55 am

Strong and light builders

Firewire
Stretch
Augustine Kitesurf
(Noe and Loyd I've heard is good, but I have no idea how their layups are actually better than standard heavier stronger glass.)

Daversj wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:03 pm
...Canibal CoreVac boards.. 4 layers of aerospace cloth...
Don't fall for the hype/ marketing wank. E-glass fiberglass is technically "aerospace cloth." It's just as bad as saying "aerospace aluminum" OH JOLLY GEE, 6000 and 7000 series aluminum, now were could you come across that? :roll:

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:01 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:55 am

Don't fall for the hype/ marketing wank. E-glass fiberglass is technically "aerospace cloth." It's just as bad as saying "aerospace aluminum" OH JOLLY GEE, 6000 and 7000 series aluminum, now were could you come across that? :roll:
You can make E-glass more resilient than S-glass by just vacuum bagging the E-glass to get the perfect "resin to glass" ratio.

Build is as important, or more important, than materials.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 am

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:01 am
NorCalNomad wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:55 am

You can make E-glass more resilient than S-glass by just vacuum bagging the E-glass to get the perfect "resin to glass" ratio.

Build is as important, or more important, than materials.
Yes props to them for actually vacuum bagging their stuff...

BUT

When they're saying, and I quote, "we use a quasi-isotropric, multivector orientation of cloth, with many layers.." your bullshit alarms should go off.

What that marketing wank said in layman's terms is "we use at least more than one layer of glass that is basically the same in all directions." Trying to make what you are doing seem more amazing than it is and being vague about details is classic shady shit.

Also looks like they hotwire their blanks out of block foam (known to be weaker since your density changes throughout the block unlike individual blanks).

AND all their boards on the site are just copies of other shapers... AM Flyers,Lost RNF, MR Twin...

Return to “Kitesurfing”