Forum for kitesurfers
LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Any 2017 rumors for light weight kites?

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:06 am

kjorn wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:Yeah they're going to start changing the shape of the bladders to make them more aerodynamic. So that they are lighter and also quicker in the air. They shape they will change it to is a small rectangle instead of a tube. Also the struts will be even smaller. I heard this from a worker of a reputable company. Very exciting things are going to happen in 17
How will they do this? Multiple bladders? Or some sort of internal support in a single bladder?

It's going to be implemented by the way they construct the outside fabric on the kite, and it will also have whats called a 2 chamber bladder. The kite will have a boxy outside shape after it's inflated. I saw one already, and it looked pretty bad ass. It's not a complete rectangle, but like a curved rectangle shape with smaller struts. And just from looking at it you can tell it will zip through the air faster than having a big tube for a bladder.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:29 am

You can't make an inflated flexible structure with flat surfaces. I think they will use fabric between multiple inflated tubes like on inflatable boats and hanggliders, i.e. a patent would be pointless :-) It's an idea with merit but learning to bridle kites well would be more valuable. Increase the bridles 4 times on the LE and reduces the LE diameter to nothing and the weight too. Add bridles to the TE and get easier relaunch and better performance. One hint for inflatable makers, bridles don't need to be made from 2inch rope :lol: :lol: .
Last edited by foilholio on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:30 am

Oh you mean they tried copying the windsurfing LE.. People once tried to tell me that there's no gain to be had from a proper entry shape and big ass round is better

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:57 am

I'm telling you though, this kite seemed like it was flying faster than a normal kite, while still having the same grunt, maybe even more since the bladder was more flat. This might be the next big thing

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:09 am

Yep - that would be a good thing.
My very first question walking into my first kite shop years ago was - why dont they narrow down LE and make a smooth entry luff pocket ?
Looks like the Ass end of a bus!
Retailer had salesman answer, inside the box as usual..

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:14 am

Multi tubes heat welded together would me by best guess.

FishOutOfWater
Rare Poster

Postby FishOutOfWater » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:49 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
kjorn wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:Yeah they're going to start changing the shape of the bladders to make them more aerodynamic. So that they are lighter and also quicker in the air. They shape they will change it to is a small rectangle instead of a tube. Also the struts will be even smaller. I heard this from a worker of a reputable company. Very exciting things are going to happen in 17
How will they do this? Multiple bladders? Or some sort of internal support in a single bladder?

It's going to be implemented by the way they construct the outside fabric on the kite, and it will also have whats called a 2 chamber bladder. The kite will have a boxy outside shape after it's inflated. I saw one already, and it looked pretty bad ass. It's not a complete rectangle, but like a curved rectangle shape with smaller struts. And just from looking at it you can tell it will zip through the air faster than having a big tube for a bladder.
Sounds like that was done waaaaay back in 2003 - the Gaastra Phoenix - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10142

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:27 am

The double bladder?
I remember it...and I know the guy who has the patent for it...same guy who invented the 5th line...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:47 am

Looks like I am getting a Sonic2 18 for lighter wind...no tube has that performance.
Plus, current kites are all too fast, even with my setup of 32m lines I have problems landing tricks with rotations...a slower foil with good lift and hangtime should make me land all those tricks of my to do list ;-)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:50 pm

It will be interesting to see how you cope with the reduced feedback and response on a foil, it's obvious what you'll do with the extra hang time :-) lol. Imho foils have their pluses and minuses, they can certainly be harder but that is not always a negative.

Return to “Kitesurfing”