Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Re: Looking for Directional for Wife to learn on

Postby Jwoo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions. For now we're looking for whatever would be the best option for her to learn jibes and switching feet, with the end goal of riding a surfboard in waves. We're looking into everything you have all mentioned.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Jwoo wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestions. For now we're looking for whatever would be the best option for her to learn jibes and switching feet, with the end goal of riding a surfboard in waves. We're looking into everything you have all mentioned.
Is the goal to ride a surfboard and nothing but that ?

If not, then choose a waveboard instead.

You mentioned she would like to have the option for straps, this is not an option on surfboards, but waveboards are born with this option so can be ridden with or without :naughty:

8) Peter

PS: I dont understand those saying "just go out and get any cheap board for starters so you can bash it" ?
As I have never seen anyone "bashing" their boards (around here) - not untill really experienced, then the bashing starts :-?
When learning you are not out in bigger waves with rocky coasts anyways, and even if strapless you dont jump when new on these - so why would a board get "bashed" when learning ???
But the idea of just getting "any" board, maybe less costly, is good, as you have no idea where you will end up, takes years and years to find out.
Different in this case though, as it is about finding a smaller board thus not just any board.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:23 pm

When I was learning I used a Slingshot T-Rex (now the angry swallow) and found it to be wide enough and have enough volume to make the progression easy. I also tried a Lightwave DV8 which is a good beginner to intermediate board and an older North Nugget which was really good and stable, quick through the jibes.

Selling my T-Rex but it looks like you live in Mexico and I'm way up here in New Hampshire :)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Ive been riding strapless surfboards for 5-6 years now and started shaping and building boards when I realized most boards are wrong for our conditions and too big.
So I'll say that at that her small size and weight, you won't find a board small enough.
Of course, depending on your conditions, but im at 78 kg and 5-8 on a 4-10 x 18,75 compact rounded shape. So I can't imagine she'll need a board bigger than a 4-5 x 17,5 in compact design.
A local here that's very experienced and riding overhead waves year round in Sweden tested my 4-10 and ordered one with a 7 month wait. He's 5-11 and 82 kg....
To get that you should turn to a good shaper and get a custom build to last forever. A local shaper is best or turn to the likes of Amundson. The John-o looks nice. As him to design it for her.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 pm

I'll watch out for the abuse I get for this !
Get a pointy nose board that's called a surfboard by the cool guys, or a directional by the less Hip, get one with straps that you can remove later (if you like)
don't get one too short or too narrow, about 5'4 would be good,
width is useful for stability when changing feet during or just after a gybe, (example a Naish Global is fairly narrow, a F-One Mitu is better , nearly perfect)
learn to ride toe-side certainly in her favoured direction, it's usually easier in one direction, that way she can learn to carve round , ride toe-side , then carve back to link turns, creates flow, and gets her into basic wave riding, she will still get good tight carves while in the foot straps, and as she progresses the back foot can come out of the strap to apply more edge pressure (no, she won't break her ankle!!)
Then, when it's all going well, take the straps off, minimal actual gain, but more cred !
depending on the money, buy her a new board, wide, stable, not too long, that Mitu 5'4 is good, or something that shape, nothing too gunny, It will be years before she needs anything narrow and small,

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:05 am

I agree with jonysan. I learned on an old surfboard my nephew had in Hawaii, then bought a used Naish Global 6'0" which I still ride in the US, and a used 5'10" F-one Surf which I ride in Cape Town where the winds are stronger. These are obviously too big for her, but you get the idea of board sizes from page 1. Unless you are rolling in cash, just start her on an old small surfboard. It will have the added benefit of no straps, which will free her to move around the board till she finds a comfortable stance, which is usually much further forward than the straps on a strapped board (designed for ripping in waves). And it is far easier to learn to gybe a strapless board as the straps get in the way initially. Put lots of wax on it she her feet stick to it, and in no time she will be up and riding.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:24 am

Hugh2 wrote:which is usually much further forward than the straps on a strapped board (designed for ripping in waves).
This isn't really correct. Pretty much every properly sized board has only one "correct" front foot placement regardless of whether you're shredding the wave or cruising up wind. The back foot will typically have the "shred" position, in the strap, and the "cruise upwind" position, just in front of the rear strap. If you find you're moving around on the board out of these spots it's a good indicator that you sized your board wrong.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:34 am

Bushflyr wrote:
Hugh2 wrote:which is usually much further forward than the straps on a strapped board (designed for ripping in waves).
This isn't really correct. Pretty much every properly sized board has only one "correct" front foot placement regardless of whether you're shredding the wave or cruising up wind. The back foot will typically have the "shred" position, in the strap, and the "cruise upwind" position, just in front of the rear strap. If you find you're moving around on the board out of these spots it's a good indicator that you sized your board wrong.
You may be right, but I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs, and feel comfortable on my Naish Global 6'0". I see you ride the same board but a little shorter. My style, if you can call it that, is not shredding waves, but rather more lazy. I've always found it easier to ride with my front foot in front of where the front strap is, and my back foot a full 12 inches in front of the back strap. When riding waves I do move my back foot a little further back to help turn the board. I even had an extra set of strap inserts placed in front of the regular rear strap position on both my boards, but no longer ride strapped at all. I find if I try to ride with the straps in the original position the board is unstable and jumps around. Moving forward settles it down.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:53 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
I also disagree with this - as a surfboard rider of about 6 years, I've found the stance required for riding waves is quite different to the stance required to be able to make ground back upwind ( for example if you are doing triangles at your local). Footstraps lock you in one position, and limit your freedom to trim the board to suit.

I remember doing one of Ben Wilsons courses and he explained the different techniques quite well. Essentially the upwind stance (which for me is also toeside based on on my goofy stance and prevailing wind direction) is about the middle of the board, with my back foot quite far forward but also right over on upwind rail pressing hard upwind. My body weight is about 80% on the front foot.

Once on a wave, I'm moving both feet much further back on the board which allows me to turn and stall as required to slow down, and my weight is more neutral with a back foot bias when carving.

I don't think it would be possible to have 1 foot strap position that would allow me to properly get forward enough to be able to easily kite upwind. I strongly believe you need to be able to move both feet in order to balance and trim the board to suit the conditions.

Interestingly, I can ride upwind toeside better than on a heel side edge.

Riding strapless Is really not very hard and anyone can learn with a bit of practise.

I also wanted to say to PF regarding surfboard betting bashed about - at our beach this happens the moment you crash and lose your board. The first thing that happens is it's gets caught in the shorebreak and washed up on the beach - (no one uses leashes). If you are riding strapless, this is going to happen quite a bit - say 20 times an hour if It's heavy ? It's not uncommon for some guys to go thru 2-3 boards in a season. They just snap, especially if they are ordinary surfboard construction and not kite-surfboards.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 pm

JZH interesting comments regarding foot placement. I need to study this further as I tend to fall into the habit of riding my directional (strapless) like a twin tip when trying to go up wind. This means lots of weight and pressure on both the back foot and the rail/edge. Sounds like this is the wrong technique. Where can I learn how to go up wind the right way?

Cheers,
Joe

Return to “Kitesurfing”