Favorite Beaches: prasonisi
Style: waveride freestyle
Gear: cabrinha , wainman hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Firewire Vader, Fins recommendations

Postby oceansprince » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:45 pm

I just order a Firewire Vader FST kite construction 5,3
i'm a 85 kg kitesurfer and i wonder what fins setup to run on the board..
mostly to onshore conditions or side-on...12 to 25 knots
i want to learn the board, jibe on it, so stability and control is my first goal.
Quad or thruster?? i think could be better to get both and try
What size? please become specific about brand cause i don't know much, for example am2 medium etc..
thanks

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Re: Firewire Vader, Fins recommendations

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Be curious to read this thread and hear how you like it once you get out and ride. I'm the same weight, considering the exact same board.

halloi
Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards

Postby halloi » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:38 pm

hey there!

congrats, the vader is an awesome board of what ive read&heard.
as far as fins, my recommendation is getting medium size fins, they seem to work just fine for all around stuff.
I actually sand mine down to give them less rake (slower but snappier turns)
when it comes to stiffness I honestly let my wallet decide, Im well aware that those carbon fiber honey comb zero flex what not stuff out there feels amazing but after breaking 2 sets in 2 weeks (rocks at fault, they totally jumped in the way) I now ride cheapo plastic and got used to it. (they also have the advantage that you can sand them down to however small you want because there is no honeycomb paper or bamboo or whatever they use that limits your "tuning".
oh and go with a thruster set! gives you a beautiful surf feeling (little slower than quad but nice hold in the tail and also good for all around stuff) go try a quad after youre comfortable on the thruster, that way youll be able to tell the difference and can pick your new or old favorite :thumb:

I hope I helped at least a little bit : )

here are some fin know how links: (just disregard surf fin size charts, they need bigger fins than kite surfers)
http://www.tactics.com/info/guide-to-surfboard-fins
http://www.theinertia.com/surf/the-defi ... oard-fins/

take care,
Constantin

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Fins won't play much roll with stabilizing the board, however using a fin that's larger with more surface area will lend a tiny bit. Stability is mainly gained from the width of the board. Since the Vader is narrow, you will have a longer learning curve regardless of what size fin you use.
The Tomo boards can be used with smaller fins due to their more vertical rail profile. The other thing I STRONGLY recommend for the Vader (either thruster or quad set-up) is to use "inside foiled" front fins. Futures called it "V2" and FCS and most others call it "IFT". Tomo boards come alive with these type of fins in my testing and experience.
Any fin on this page would be ideal...
https://futuresfins.com/en-us/shop-surf ... generating
A good "all-around" fin shape is the F4, so it's a good default fin if don't have a preference or specific need.
Since you don't have an established configuration preference, definitely get 5 fins so you can switch it up to see what works best for you or your conditions. Some conditions a thruster can be better, but it's all personal. Many seem to like the Tomo boards better in quad mode fwiw.
Note: You can buy rear quad fins separately, so you can either build your 5-fin set (combining a thruster fin set with some quad rear fins) or you can just buy a pre-package 5-fin set.
Check out Finatic too...
https://finatic.com

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:01 pm

+1 on the plastic fins. I've really been pleased with the performance of the Futures Thermotech fins. FCS plastic fins unfortunately suck in comparison!
I have considered getting some fancy carbon/honeycomb type fins, but the price to performance gain has kept me away. However if I was not kitesurfing, the benefits of the "fancy" fins can better be appreciated so I would most likely consider them.
http://foamez.blogspot.com/2012/06/new- ... -from.html

oceansprince
Medium Poster
Local Beach: chios contari
Favorite Beaches: prasonisi
Style: waveride freestyle
Gear: cabrinha , wainman hawaii

Postby oceansprince » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:14 pm

Da Yoda wrote: A good "all-around" fin shape is the F4, so it's a good default fin if don't have a preference or specific need.
Since you don't have an established configuration preference, definitely get 5 fins so you can switch it up to see what works best for you or your conditions. Some conditions a thruster can be better, but it's all personal. Many seem to like the Tomo boards better in quad mode fwiw.
Note: You can buy rear quad fins separately, so you can either build your 5-fin set (combining a thruster fin set with some quad rear fins) or you can just buy a pre-package 5-fin set.
Check out Finatic too...
https://finatic.com
You are awesome guys, thanks for the informations
i think i will get the F4 BLACKSTIX 3.0
And For quad, what u suggest QD2 4.0 BLACKSTIX or STAMPS 5-FIN ?

WMFG
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: WMFG, Mystic, Naish, Amundson, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: WMFG Founder

Postby WMFG » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:23 pm

I have the 5'3" Vader and it's a totally Sick board.

I'm 205lbs so bigger than you, I am using "medium" sized fins on the board and they feel like the right size.

I've been testing sample fins for WMFG and so far I am liking flexy over stiff on this board. I didn't see much benefit to riding it as a quad, thruster seems better overall, but if you're curios and want to know I'd agree with the earlier post to get a quality 5 fin set.

Enjoy the board.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:52 pm

I have the Vader. I think quads help upwind and help traction in foam. Thruster is favored for the loosest, most snappy turns.

F6 is the medium size. F4 is the grom size

I recently switched from premium to the white plastic fins for safety. I saw Felix Pivec riding plastic and thought...humm...maybe I should do it too. I have landed on the bottom of my board and been gashed by the premium fins. Plastic should snap, I hope.

Anyway, they say plastic rides the same for a few months, then they loose spring.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:26 pm

The board is really fast. Faster as a quad. However it's scary fast and I didn't like the way it turned as a quad. Board seemed to have better flow linking turns as a tri fin and I didn't need the extra speed or upwind.
I'm running small fins but find it can wash out in the foam, a bit more fin length and it hangs on better riding super aggressive. On big dirty days I'll run it on XL fins.

Think medium tri fin would be ideal....I haven't played with soft shitty fins yet but sounds like I should give them a try.
Great board.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:46 pm

Assuming you are running Futures, try the Alpha F4. Price wise not to bad and on the Vader as thrusters they are whippy fun. Less money than the exotic carbon stuff and ride way better than the plastic. Better hold at speed and great spring when they let go. If you get a chance try them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”