Are carbon fiber boards really better?

Forum for kitesurfers
pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Are carbon fiber boards really better?

Postby pj sofine » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:19 pm

My 2011 136 cf ltd and later the 140 have been the first boards that I haven't broke.I'm 220 lbs and they ride nice for me.Are they better,no idea.Still look back at the ug flx's,they rode smooth.!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:32 pm

downunder wrote:Here you go Plummet,

not necessarily a 'carbon' boards are stronger at all. Today I did have Underground Crypt in my hands 132/40, heavy as.

I would always, and I mean always reach for a lighter board in my quiver.

Btw, Axis ltd is pricey too...
All other aspects being equal the carbon board short be lighter or stiffer.

But you are right there are so many other factors involved that carbon alone does not mean lightest or strongest. But it is lighter, stiffer and stronger when done right. Theres a reason why most extremely high performance craft use carbon, America's cup yachts, formula one cars, all high end racing mountain bikes and road bikes. etc. They don't make these things out of fiberglass anymore because of the superior qualities of carbon.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:52 pm

No not really. The good part about them is the stiffness but the cost is so much higher. Weight is not an issue for me but a board that has too much flex between the feet is.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:21 pm

Related topic: Why aren't kiteboard builders working with material other than wood, carbon, & fiberglass? Maybe they are, and I just don't know about it?

In the bicycle industry, titanium frames have positive features like carbon fiber (good flex, lightweight) and, in addition, are more durable (last forever, won't rust) and, while expensive, don't cost much more than carbon frames. Shaping titanium would be difficult, I guess, but aren't there other materials that board builders could be using? Are there any out-of-the-box thinkers, imaginative pioneers, in the board business? :?:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:01 am

^
Why? Guys, guys, you are totally not the Planet friendly.

Carbon, epoxy at.al have the top carbon footprint in manufacturing. So every time this is discussed is basically about "I don't care since will not live that long anyway and everyone else is doing it!" - however, most of you have kids. Not one, many. And I don't.

So I am asking a question: WHY? Why would anyone need a carbon board? At the end, we are using Wind as an engine. Not a diesel or petrol. We condemn petrol smell on the water.
Yet, somehow we admire the top carbon footprint boards...Bikes, whatever. There is almost NO carbon recycling at all atm. How is that with aluminium, metal and wood?

If this is a progress in everything, and carbon footprint is not addressed, God help us (since carbon is now in Aerospace and car industry, and...)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:52 am

FLandOBX wrote:Related topic: Why aren't kiteboard builders working with material other than wood, carbon, & fiberglass? Maybe they are, and I just don't know about it?

In the bicycle industry, titanium frames have positive features like carbon fiber (good flex, lightweight) and, in addition, are more durable (last forever, won't rust) and, while expensive, don't cost much more than carbon frames. Shaping titanium would be difficult, I guess, but aren't there other materials that board builders could be using? Are there any out-of-the-box thinkers, imaginative pioneers, in the board business? :?:
Cabrinha are using basalt on some of there TT's. That's pretty cool!

harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.
Has thanked: 0

Postby harppa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:56 am

Had a chat with pretty experienced rider (has a promodel) and he said carbon doesnt bend as much as class and in hes use he would snap the board if it would be carbon. This board is full on powered wakestyle board.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:50 am

FLandOBX wrote:Related topic: Why aren't kiteboard builders working with material other than wood, carbon, & fiberglass? Maybe they are, and I just don't know about it?

You could build a board out of almost anything, but it needs certain qualities to be usable. Like, it must float. It can't be too thick. Or too heavy. Some flex is nice, but not too much. It needs to last at least season or two. And look nice.
And then there is the construction process, which needs to be as simple as possible, deliver consistent results and be as cheap as possible.

That all reduces your options to where we are now, i.e.
core: wood or foam (honeycomb is an option but expensive and difficult to work with) - the core typically provides the flotation.
reinforcement: glass or carbon (or basalt)
rails: ABS or PU
resin: epoxy or polyester
graphics: PBT/ABS/TPU topsheet, UHMWPE base
inserts: 316 ss or brass

I do build boards with other materials as well. My transparent boards are polycarbonate sheet with carbon composite beams.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:53 pm

rynhardt wrote:I do build boards with other materials as well. My transparent boards are polycarbonate sheet with carbon composite beams.
Rynhardt, I pulled up the forum thread with photos/video of your boards (transparent board - 2014). Sweet boards. :thumb: Apologies to the OP for steering away from carbon question, but here's the link for those that haven't seen it.

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2383993

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:09 am

plummet wrote:

Cabrinha are using basalt on some of there TT's. That's pretty cool!
Naish is also using basalt. I dunno, I like my stiff carbon Core Choice 2 better than Basalt boards. It will flex eventually and it returns energy. Basalt is like stone...literally and figuratively.

Return to “Kitesurfing”