Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish octopussy

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish octopussy

Postby grigorib » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:28 am

Vogelm1 wrote:+1. Every season I've had to tinker with external hoses at one time or another...catch on launcher's hand and pop off, brittle/cracked, or come off during a crash. Then there's screws, collars, plates, neoprene covers, and other hardware that need to be removed (in some cases) just to get at the bladder. Not any simpler IMO. Every system has it's advantages and disadvantages, and having dealt with both I don't see any issues with the octopus system. Prefer clean and streamlined personally :thumb:
I think you have to fire that caddy who can't launch and maintain your kites properly. I like mine to be kept clean, checked, maintained. I wouldn't tolerate finding out tubes are dryrotten or any hardware is worn and not replaced. Hire a guy who's not a slacker (rather a girl - any video shows them smiling so pretty when pumping kites which I've never seen being a case for a guy)

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:39 pm

The repair guys where I live now will not work on them and once one strut goes many times can mean they are all bad. They turn white on the inisde and just peel. Only reason why I do not buy Naish kites. Usually happens in 2 years or so and really doesnt matter how much you use them.

wstrange
Rare Poster

Postby wstrange » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 am

I really wish Kite manufacturers would go back to the old style of per-strut inflate valves.

The small amount of time saved in pumping is just not worth the extra complexity and repair issues.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 am

Some one pumps work some don't. My Naish Fly 15mtr only has 2 struts so was easy to make non one pump but with 5 or 6 struts is costly and or time consuming apart from time missed on water :)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:50 am

wstrange wrote:I really wish Kite manufacturers would go back to the old style of per-strut inflate valves.

The small amount of time saved in pumping is just not worth the extra complexity and repair issues.
Just as a matter of information. Most people like the ease of one pump. I am one of them. It isn't as much of a time saver issue for me, but one of convenience.
Remember that there are a ton of different places and conditions that people kite in. Here are just some conditions where having a one-pump system is beneficial IMO:
Wind exposed beach..the worse the beach is the more of a advantage the one pump system is, boat launch, cold temperatures, snow kiting, small spots, heavily populated beach. I'm not even part of any of those groups, and I would still prefer a one-pump system.

Remember brands that tried holding on to multi-pump pretty much all changed it to one-pump. I can appreciate that people have different opinions, but I think you are in the minority.

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 am

Never going back without - had an AIRUSH dna for 6 weeks (cheap secondhand) good kite but hated nt having one-pump and that with 3 struts....

Life is too short to waste pumping up without!

Kite surfing involves a lot of time seting up and packing up etc etc....everything that saves me time is a great thing! if i could afford it i would pay some one to set up my kite :D and just enjoy the sport...
I sold my last Naish kite last year - never had any problems with the onepump but read about too many - i did not want there overcomplicated system any more and having to deflate wvery strut was also very annoying and not worth the time involved.

All my new (gaastra Pure) kites works perfectly with a perfect one pump system (and older airush-slingshot-kitefactory-LF), why try to improve on a perfect system - really

wstrange
Rare Poster

Postby wstrange » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 pm

I realize I'm in the minority on one-pump.

When it works, it is indeed fantastic. But I just spent a couple of days of a vacation in November fixing leaky strut valves - a job which would have been much faster / easier without one-pump. It would be nice to have the option to order without onepump, but given the small size of the market that is probably not going to happen.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 pm

wstrange wrote:I realize I'm in the minority on one-pump.

When it works, it is indeed fantastic. But I just spent a couple of days of a vacation in November fixing leaky strut valves - a job which would have been much faster / easier without one-pump. It would be nice to have the option to order without onepump, but given the small size of the market that is probably not going to happen.
Wow, that's bad.
What kind of valves?

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 am

wstrange wrote:I realize I'm in the minority on one-pump.

Could i ask how old your kites are, and what kites they are? its a little bit strange - ive never had a problem with any of my kites, a 2009 slingshot REV2 was the oldest and had a perfect one pump system....An 2012 litium i used to have showed signs of cracking one pump tubing connectors but never once lost air, was considering changing them but they just did not break.

Maybe just lucky - maybe just dont use my kite enough :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”