Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro views

Postby deniska » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:18 am

You definitely want variety..
Watching more than 20 seconds of lawn mowing from the same POV gets boring superfast.
I like to use the orange floaty (as bite mount). It works great for mixing first person view with selfies.
Line mount works great for jumping over objects. It tends to add a little height and drama, as long as there is a point of reference below you. ;-)
You can make one from a piece of wire.. search the forum - i think I posted a few pics of those before.
You can leave the camera on the beach and do your thing, passing close to it. It works great in offshore setup.
If you have a shallow area - put it on a long stick, stick it into the water, pointing a bit up and jump over it.. Or ask your buddy to go into the water and film you for a few tacks..
Lastly, you may want to get a woo. It has a woovie editor that can sort through a few hours of footage and cut out just a few minutes of action: jumps, crashes or tricks.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:45 am

The main limit i found was having just one gopro.
To make the video interesting youll have to change angles a lot. Mix it up between fpv and tpv.
Gopros wide angle means for the best shots you need to be super close to the lens.
Also music choice......youll never chose something everyone likes. But you can set the mood and even use lulls and highs in the music to emphasise parts of the video. I find less lyrics the better.

Iv got loads of videos but still not anywhere near perfect.

https://youtu.be/KMqOZHRGifA

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:21 pm

windrider1 wrote:Whats wrong with the chest mount I mainly use the chest mount and board mount. bought a line mount but didn't get around to using it yet though. As for filming I have a model 4 and use 1080p at 60fps works the best in my opinion , you get really nice smooth and clear picture. also try to film in direct sunlight , low light and cloudy days are bad for clear video.
The problem with the chest mount is (a) It's right on top of the chicken loop so it takes up half (or more) of the frame; and (b) you can't point it in different directions without moving your whole body. I love the chest mount for skiing but it's kind of useless for kiting imo.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:19 pm

socommk23 wrote:The main limit i found was having just one gopro.
To make the video interesting youll have to change angles a lot. Mix it up between fpv and tpv.
Gopros wide angle means for the best shots you need to be super close to the lens.
Also music choice......youll never chose something everyone likes. But you can set the mood and even use lulls and highs in the music to emphasise parts of the video. I find less lyrics the better.

Yup. right now I have 2 sjcams 1 gopro, and 1 long distance peau lens (2.5x magnification) that I changed out a wide angle for. You can use the special "narrow" setting on the gopro but it's better to just swap in a new lens. If you don't have that many gopros you can just take more time during filming to mix it up and like I said before about 50 mounts but I only regularly use 3 of them. It's not that expensive to gear up like this. Next step. Drone. You can make such incredible videos with a drone, but I'm not sure I will ever take that step. The problem with a drone for me is you have pretty much moved from the kiting side over to the filming side at that point. Making videos with a drone means you are going to be dedicating a lot of time flying the drone and getting shots, though they do have that "follow me" setting now on the drones.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Making a decent video takes lots of time.
I mostly use my gopro for making snaps..
I record the whole session in 4K/30fps, cut a few minutes of fun stuff with woovie editor, then just capture a few frames form those clips with VLC. Then brush them up in photoshop (you can do action sequences, etc) or online pixlr express
15156750_1375270599152080_8779445138888734173_o.jpg
14107859_1287689727910168_2998407014795200258_o.jpg
13996183_1283196208359520_3968163341020115860_o.jpg
13987491_1285950131417461_6611897886938200926_o.jpg
14633215_1341351669210640_4024923542940741510_o.jpg

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 pm

edt wrote:
socommk23 wrote:The main limit i found was having just one gopro.

Yup. right now I have 2 sjcams 1 gopro, and 1 long distance peau lens (2.5x magnification) that I changed out a wide angle for. You can use the special "narrow" setting on the gopro but it's better to just swap in a new lens. If you don't have that many gopros you can just take more time during filming to mix it up and like I said before about 50 mounts but I only regularly use 3 of them. It's not that expensive to gear up like this. Next step. Drone. You can make such incredible videos with a drone, but I'm not sure I will ever take that step. The problem with a drone for me is you have pretty much moved from the kiting side over to the filming side at that point. Making videos with a drone means you are going to be dedicating a lot of time flying the drone and getting shots, though they do have that "follow me" setting now on the drones.
Tried the drone while on a tandem buggy. Was a challenge as it was actually a quad copter. I had to fly it constantly the whole time. Didnt get any footage of myself flying a kite but did get myself flying the quad from the tandem buggy.

https://youtu.be/LWkQJGx6v3A

yojimbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf
Been thanked: 0

Postby yojimbo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:40 pm

[youtube][youtube][/youtube][/youtube]i see there are a lot of opinions on this topic.

if you only have one camera, go with a line-mount. I've been using the camrig, but someone mentioned the Beastmount, and I can attest that the camrig is a hassle to mount. I'm going to try out the Beastmount.

If you get super into then I could see adding other POV.

I'm posting one of my vids, I recommend everyone that chimed in post one of their vids as well so the OP can see and decide which route he wants to go.
Also, keep the vid short, and no matter what you do the compression tech that youtube and vimeo use will turn your crystal clear video into shiiite.
I also shoot at 60fps and 1080p. Then when you go to watch your video on these platforms, the default setting is like 480p and you have to know how to change it to 720p, its just a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdzdSN4xg4M

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:43 pm

yojimbo wrote:[youtube][youtube][/youtube][/youtube]i see there are a lot of opinions on this topic.

if you only have one camera, go with a line-mount. I've been using the camrig, but someone mentioned the Beastmount, and I can attest that the camrig is a hassle to mount. I'm going to try out the Beastmount.

If you get super into then I could see adding other POV.

I'm posting one of my vids, I recommend everyone that chimed in post one of their vids as well so the OP can see and decide which route he wants to go.
Also, keep the vid short, and no matter what you do the compression tech that youtube and vimeo use will turn your crystal clear video into shiiite.
I also shoot at 60fps and 1080p. Then when you go to watch your video on these platforms, the default setting is like 480p and you have to know how to change it to 720p, its just a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdzdSN4xg4M

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:05 pm

yojimbo wrote: I'm posting one of my vids, I recommend everyone that chimed in post one of their vids as well so the OP can see and decide which route he wants to go.
here is a short one, shot with just orange floaty and from the beach.. nothing too crazy, just goofing around, occasionally running out of water :-)

socommk23
Frequent Poster

Postby socommk23 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Only ever done one video of my kite surfing. My biard mount snapped and i managed to hold the camera for anither 20 mins.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/bpUXqsNAIaY[/youtube]

Return to “Kitesurfing”