Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Jay 2017 Game Changer

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:42 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:I'm just not digging the graphics, that red yellow and black looks like it belongs on a hockey jersey.
That's a pro, not a con :wink:

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dwarf » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:12 am

Harness looks ok. Competition for ride engine is a good thing. It will only improve harness tech and hopefully lead to a bit more reasonable pricing.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Let's see some details of the new DYNABAR V9.

The XT model will come with the pivoting dyneema leash (1) and the new 3D EVA pad (4). The new frame (3) is modified and can host the sliding hook (2) and make it fix. If you already own a DYNABAR V8, the V9 frame is compatible with the V8 sliding hook.
The sliding leash (11) is included in the package.
The fixed hook and hook locker are not supplied any more but can be bought as an accessory.

The XW model is almost the same of the V8 version, the stainless steel frame (13) is assembled on the new 3D EVA pad (10), the sliding hook system (12) remains the same.

The new XC model has the main base in carbonfiber (5), is equipped by a sliding ring (8) and 2 webbing hook buckles (9). The pad is the new 3D EVA to avoid water absorption.
The dyneema slider leash (6) has a special attachment to avoid usage of steel parts in order to keep the weight low.
Attachments
DYNABAR XT-XW-XC V9 small explain.png

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Jaystore.....most of the Dynabar users here in the Orlando area use ion board short harnesses. You should go that route if you want to sell some gear. I would by a pair. The ions just don't last that long. 6-8-months

jaystore
Frequent Poster

Postby jaystore » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 am

Do-it wrote:Jaystore.....most of the Dynabar users here in the Orlando area use ion board short harnesses. You should go that route if you want to sell some gear. I would by a pair. The ions just don't last that long. 6-8-months
We have a more effective solution, shorts with straps + waist harness. You only replace shorts when worn out and keep the harness.
Attachments
JAY Shorty.png
JAY shorts with integrated straps

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:52 am

I like the Jay leg straps, but I hated the shorts that came with them. They were just awkward and made it a pain to adjust the leg straps. I just wear the leg straps over whatever shorts or wetsuit I am wearing.

jaystore
Frequent Poster

Postby jaystore » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Have you never thought of an harness you can split in 5 separate parts?
No? Maybe you didn't evaluate the benefits of this assembly system so let see first the issues of a standard assembly :

:( When you buy a rigid or semi-rigid harness you pay some extra money due to the carbonfiber shell part, the most expensive part of the harness.

:( As you already know after one-two years you need to replace the harness, due to the quick worn of neoprene parts caused by the sun and salt water. Action, throw it in the waste with carbonfiber shell included.

:( During these 1-2 years probably the belts used to tighten the harness get worn and you have to take the risk of an unwanted swim or, worst, a fall from a high jump.

:( At the same time the elastic belt and velcro starts to look "tired" and loses it's elasticity and strength.

:( Your skill starts from beginner up to advanced and you need to experiment different attachment systems: fixed hook, sliding hook, sliding ring, pivoting hook. Normally a teacher suggests to buy a seat harness first and a waist harness when the skill gets advanced, good suggestion but quite expensive.

Here is the JAY's solutions:

8) The FlexTech carbonfiber shell (3) can be attached or removed from the harness padding (4) and attached to a new one.
Why? Replace the worn padding or change padding colour. Change FlextTech carbonfiber shell flex (2 flex levels) or (if needed) change for a new model coming in the next years.

8) As soon as the webbing (1) is worn "just a bit" the user starts to take the risk of brake, no choice and you can't replace with a new one.
Snowkiting jumps are very risky and stainless steel buckles gives 1000Kg of breaking load, 2-3 times more of PA plastic ladder lock buckle.

8) The elastic belt (2) has always been used to help the user to tighten the flexible harnesses, but gets loosen quite soon and the velcro doesn't have the same strength. On JAY XTC harness you can replace it when this happens, you can even remove it to save some weight.

8) DYNABAR system (5) is so practical and it will follow kiter's skill growth from beginner to advanced without the need of buying new equipment.
DYNABAR can be used with JAY shorts integrated leg straps, an excellent option for beginners to start with a comfortable solution and for advanced to feel less stress in strong winds.
XTC 5parts.png
JAY XTC FlexTech carbonfiber harness is made of 5 different replaceable parts.

1 The XTC belt system is customizable, two different solutions with 2+2 PA plastic ladder buckles (up to 400Kg load and low weight) or 1+1 stainless steel buckles (up to 1000Kg and higher weight). The belt goes all around the back for an optimal pull distribution, eliminating the risk of carbonfiber shell break at fix attachment points

2 The elastic belt system is a combination of comfort and strength, a 9cm webbing padded by neoprene and equipped by 2 strong velcro attachment points.

3 FlexTech Carbonfiber shell with 2 different flex to satisfy any users request of comfort and body's movement freedom. The shell can host both of the two belt systems.

4 3D EVA with thermoformed anatomic body shape to guarantee the maximum comfort and pull distribution. No water absorption!

5 DYNABAR V9, the original and inimitable sliding traction system. 3 different models and 5 different attachment options. XT sliding and fix options, XW light for waveriders and freeriders, XC feather light you won't even feel to wear.
XTC back.png

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Who will have these in Australia ??

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Is there an option to fix the safety line not other than the sliding rope?

I See a potential failure point. If the sliding rope fails, its a wearing item so it will fail at some point, you loose the kite completely. In my mind the safety line should not be attached to the sliding rope. That way if the rope breaks at least you have the kite flagged to safety and can self rescue.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:22 pm

plummet wrote:Is there an option to fix the safety line not other than the sliding rope?

I See a potential failure point. If the sliding rope fails, its a wearing item so it will fail at some point, you loose the kite completely. In my mind the safety line should not be attached to the sliding rope. That way if the rope breaks at least you have the kite flagged to safety and can self rescue.
Correct. That's exactly why I have my safety attached to the side of my XT bar which is permanently attached to my harness (the LHS in my case). And it's still on the front of course so that if the shit hits it I'll be dragged forwards rather than backwards as those who have their leashes attached towards the rear of their harnesses risk happening to them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”