Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Exploring Cuba? (beyond Cayo Coco, Guillermo)

forum for kitesurfers

harviento
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Exploring Cuba? (beyond Cayo Coco, Guillermo)

Postby harviento » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Getting ready to head down for two weeks in Cuba with my kiting girlfriend. Not primarily a kite trip, but we do hope to find a few nice spots. While the kiting in Cayo Coco and Guillermo looks really nice, we aren't so into the all-in-one resort vibe. Hoping to find some other spots along that massive coast, but there aren't many reports beyond the resort areas. Anybody have some suggestions for other spots to check out? Our Spanish is good, as is our willingness for some rough adventures.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Re: Exploring Cuba? (beyond Cayo Coco, Guillermo)

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:11 pm

harviento wrote:Getting ready to head down for two weeks in Cuba with my kiting girlfriend. Not primarily a kite trip, but we do hope to find a few nice spots. While the kiting in Cayo Coco and Guillermo looks really nice, we aren't so into the all-in-one resort vibe. Hoping to find some other spots along that massive coast, but there aren't many reports beyond the resort areas. Anybody have some suggestions for other spots to check out? Our Spanish is good, as is our willingness for some rough adventures.
Be sure to check with local authorities, one time we were there one of the other kiters went exploring (a bit too far) via kite and ended up getting into some trouble with the immigration police. He almost ended up in jail. So I would check with local authorities before wandering too far away from the resorts. It was a glaring reminder that the freedom you feel visiting Cuba is more or less an illusion if you stray too far from the norm.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Any gear is good gear as long as it has nothing to do with EPIC!

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Laughingman wrote: It was a glaring reminder that the freedom you feel visiting Cuba is more or less an illusion if you stray too far from the norm.
Maybe it's just me, but in comparaison to North American "freedoms" - Cuba always feels like a walk in a park. Kiting aside - wtf are you supposed to do on a beach if even throwing a frisbee is prohibited? Want to talk illusions?
13512104_10209967533812743_6914565430594768441_n.jpg
Last edited by alexeyga on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:47 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Laughingman wrote: It was a glaring reminder that the freedom you feel visiting Cuba is more or less an illusion if you stray too far from the norm.
Maybe it's just me, but in comparaison to North American "freedoms" - Cuba always feels like a walk in a park. Kiting aside - wtf are you supposed to do on a beach if even through a frisbee is prohibited? Want to talk illusions?

13512104_10209967533812743_6914565430594768441_n.jpg
Point taken, but I'm not sure how talking illusions with you will help the OP....

Throw a Frisbee... maybe you get a warning, at worst a fine... stray too far from designated kite areas in Cuba... go to jail.... Are you getting it now?

unbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Laughingman wrote:Throw a Frisbee... maybe you get a warning, at worst a fine... stray too far from designated kite areas in Cuba... go to jail.... Are you getting it now?
What a crock - is a Frisbee now considered a deadly weapon? Balls and Frisbees not allowed on the beach? Welcome to the "Land of the Free"! Thanks but I'll stay in Mexico where there's real freedom!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:03 pm

unbob wrote:
Laughingman wrote:Throw a Frisbee... maybe you get a warning, at worst a fine... stray too far from designated kite areas in Cuba... go to jail.... Are you getting it now?
What a crock - is a Frisbee now considered a deadly weapon? Balls and Frisbees not allowed on the beach? Welcome to the "Land of the Free"! Thanks but I'll stay in Mexico where there's real freedom!
Please don't misinterpret my statement, I was not suggesting those rules about throwing Frisbee apply in Cuba, I was simply explaining the difference between breaking a rule in the USA for example vs breaking the law in Cuba.

unbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Laughingman wrote:
unbob wrote:
Please don't misinterpret my statement, I was not suggesting those rules about throwing Frisbee apply in Cuba, I was simply explaining the difference between breaking a rule in the USA for example vs breaking the law in Cuba.
No problema - I was referring to lack of freedom in USA vs (some) other countries.

kingrat84
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 5
Favorite Beaches: tarifa, tobago

Postby kingrat84 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm

no drinking on the beach, no smoking on the beach, no frisbee, dogs!!, etc etc.... wtf - has all the fun been banned in this PC country... ? now wonder hs, college crowd choose Cancun over Florida these days. hope good old times will return and people will come to their minds...

harviento
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby harviento » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:35 am

Interesting political discussion, but...

Does anybody out there have any info to help with the original question? Any tips would be much appreciated. Gracias!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:30 pm

If you are going with a girlfriend, Havana should be on the top of the list. Only 30 min from Old Havana there are so called East Havana Beaches or Guanabo. There is a hotel Gran Caribe Club Atlantico right on the spot. On the other hand I discovered this half decent place called Villa Bacuranao from cadena Islazul for $25(see below how to get that price) breakfest included which leaves you $ to rent a car so you can commute to the beach or the city. Kiting is first class.

Don't give up on all inclusive. You get prime location for a decent price if you know how to do it. I go to Santa Lucia on windy days but I don't pay with front desk. I go to Havanatur or CubaCan in advance and I pay $35 all inclusive voucher for a hotel that is $55 at front desk. Santa Lucia is quiet, hotels are always half empty if that, so the workers have time to chat with you. Lately there are Catamaran trips to Cayo Sabinal for some virgin kiting.

Remember before going cheap check prices with havanatur or any other Cuban agency on good places. Little gift goes a long way. (razor for a man, deodorant for a lady)

Return to “Kitesurfing”