Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Limit of height jumping

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:08 am

poools81 wrote:how does that happen rick L? storm? updrafts?
The accident had similarities to many other loftings before that time in 2005 and since only a good deal more so. I was never able to find out many of the details as there was only one kiter eye witness of most of the accident who was understandably shaken by what he had seen. The main component is too much wind, our kites are wings in effect. If they see a lot of wind, they lift gaining height above the surface. If that wind is strong and sustained, you will go higher particularly with the less variable AOA traditional C kites. There is no need for exotic updrafts or other strange weather phenomena, just add a lot of wind.

He hit a mountain bordering the coastal lagoon the kiter, a commercial jetliner pilot, was riding in. It is possible that his altitude was increased by ridge lift over rising terrain. Kiters who are lofted inland may experience a bump up and lengthening of the lofting inland due to these boundary effects.

We needed to be aware of and work to avoid sources of excessive and/or unstable winds in the C kite days as we still do today. People are still getting injured and killed in the old fashioned ways, just with less frequency fortunately for us.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 am

RickI wrote:The highest jump I have heard about involved a fatal lofting in Portugal. Eye witnesses put the height of the jump which covered 500 m (1640 ft.) horizontally at around 100 m or close to 330 ft.. This was with a traditional C kite, newer kites in theory could go even higher with enough of the wrong type of wind.
wasn't the Top hat vid with Erik Ekk over 100m? It certainly looked it! And it had a happy ending.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:35 pm

The height of Erik Eck's lofting was estimated to be about 225 ft. or 68 m, plenty high enough. He did suffer some injury on landing although I never learned details of the extent. It was long claimed to have been a case of uplift by a thermal bubble so often used by gliders. I think ridge lift over rising terrain as he headed inland factored as well as did the jump he did passing over some line. There have been other loftings, including my own, in which escaping gravity at the right, wrong, time contributed to things going airborne.
Tone wrote:
RickI wrote:The highest jump I have heard about involved a fatal lofting in Portugal. Eye witnesses put the height of the jump which covered 500 m (1640 ft.) horizontally at around 100 m or close to 330 ft.. This was with a traditional C kite, newer kites in theory could go even higher with enough of the wrong type of wind.
wasn't the Top hat vid with Erik Ekk over 100m? It certainly looked it! And it had a happy ending.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:42 am

Whooooooo

WOO, REALLY?

So, the fellow kiter rocks up on a beach and SMASH it with his first jump? I would even argue that a 4th jump was not even close to 9.1m! Not even remotely jealous, but this is crap.

However, this is opening a good question: this result is now 3nd best on my local! Man, I was there yesterday, and witnessed it. There was no jump of 11.2m, and no jumps of 9.1m either.

The 1st result is 16.6m, not even physically possible on our local conditions. There you go...

li.PNG

Seriously Woo, look at this result (was 20kn that day, I was there):
mike.PNG

Somehow magically the guy jumps 16.6m and gooooooooooooooooes for 9.3 seconds and lands like a piece of feather!

And this my friends is the best result on my local. And Woo does not care about reviewing the data. Nope. This is a smoooothest jump ever recorded.

Stays forever engraved in a stone.

MAGIC!

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:10 am

If there were a gps track you/anyone could verify the jump trajectory (not accurate height).

Love Xensr because of that. Load Xensr track GPX-exported to GPS action replay or similar and check if it was a jump.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 am

No need mate.

This is a common sense. No one jumps an average 4m and than 16m just like that (even the rider saying HE DID NOT DO IT). Or goes out and instantly jumps 11m.

The problem is the results are staying, no one is reviewing it. Ever. Hence, more and more results like that will push real jumps at the bottom of the list.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:31 am

Jumps with less then 1G are very suspected and normally filtered away by Woo

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:20 am

downunder wrote:No need mate.

This is a common sense. No one jumps an average 4m and than 16m just like that (even the rider saying HE DID NOT DO IT). Or goes out and instantly jumps 11m.

The problem is the results are staying, no one is reviewing it. Ever. Hence, more and more results like that will push real jumps at the bottom of the list.
No need in that case (16m or 9m) but to verify f.ex 7m jump for example when other highs are 5m. So it starts from there. GPS also verifies that the jump was done in that place/beach/location, you know with Woo you can jump in Cape Town in 40 knots and upload it to your local beach. After that you need a voting system or something to remove a jump(s) like thumbs up and down. Too many down votes or glitch/fake-commenting removes the jump. But like said, with Woo you have nothing to verify the jump like no video, no GPS track nothing. With Xensr you can evaluate you jump and then decide to publish your best jump if you think it is right.

Nicest option would be if Garmin Virb could listen Xensr with bluetooth to record jump events so Virb would have video, GPS track and Xensr interpretation of the jump. Xensr sends jumps live to Android Watches.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Wooo yeah lol 9.3 sec hang time - there would be no 2nd jump... he'd be hanging stuck in those Kitenivorous munching trees :cool2:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:24 pm

On that 16m jump: That sounds like a defective woo. One of the local riders had a similar problem. Once in a while he would get some super high (for him) reading with insane hang time (~9 sec).. Likely his woo died shortly. The replacement provides pretty sane results.. But yes, that guy still owns leader board at our local spot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”