sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing the russian way II: The return

Postby sabraxas » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:41 am

From the director of Kite Horror, now you must see Kite Horror 2: The return

The same story in the same place with different russians

Last edited by sabraxas on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitesurfing the russian way II. The return

Postby grigorib » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:00 am

Here go my comments on what I see wrong on damage control (crap happens in first place, no blame)
- always wear a floatation/impact west where you can't touch the bottom. A random cramp can be so painful you won't be able to float no more.
- at 4:50 a board leash. A fucking surfboard board leash!!!! Ok, let's assume one is lazy to bodydrag but then expect to be beaten hard by board one time (which might become the last one if it comes to the head)
- I can't judge how far are they from shore, and whether they can get out onshore near them (must be on a downwinder) but my instructions would have been to roll the lines of both dudes and disconnect from each other, then both hold onto their kites and third guy who managed to get his kite up tows them onshore, one by one. Been there did it, folks don't object having their ass saved.
- wear finger gloves so you can grab the lines without having your fingers cut. Thin finger gloves come handy in self-launch/self-landing and certainly in line tangle or in a deathloop, very handy.
- and roll those damn lines once down like that to avoid getting into deathloop and worse troubles.

BTW, there's no argument in the video, the guy with camera speaks loud to be heard. Not a horror video either, everyone's doing alright out there, no gear damage observed

Now when I've been a smartass enough, I envy them their day on water :)
Last edited by grigorib on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Re: Kitesurfing the russian way II: The return

Postby ELI » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 am

Grigorib, Location at Mauritius /One eye, is side off with current and Very shallow over reef ,quite a distance from shore,hence the leash and the one strap maybe. Not a DW. Leashes or straps are advisable in some situations .

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 am

ELI wrote:Grigorib, Location at Mauritius /One eye, is side off with current and Very shallow over reef ,quite a distance from shore,hence the leash and the one strap maybe. Not a DW. Leashes or straps are advisable in some situations .
Side offshore and reef under, I'd call Женёк for boat support too :) But I'd be damn ready with my lines rolled and kite in hand by the time he arrives :) (a friend got lines sucked into jetski being "saved". She's lucky to still have her fingers)

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:43 am

Last edited by Flyfish on Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 am

Wow the Russian way of kitesurfing huh?

Very amazing you make a borderline kook video and proudly say it's the Russian way of kitesurfing. Awesome man....

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am

Why the rant Flyfish?
Thinks happen...and he didn't fly his kite into the other...he had the right of way too.

And what's the problem calling it Russian? To me they sound like Russians, so it's ok?

sabraxas
Frequent Poster

Postby sabraxas » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:16 am

For those who havent watched the first chapter, PrydeClub kitesurfing school presents: "Kite Horror ONE: The beginning"

These guys have bad luck or too much vodka inside and seems to like tangled lines.

sabraxas
Frequent Poster

Postby sabraxas » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:Wow the Russian way of kitesurfing huh?

Very amazing you make a borderline kook video and proudly say it's the Russian way of kitesurfing. Awesome man....
I didnt make the video, i only put it in kiteforum.
But yes, i called this thread "the russian way". They seem to be russian.
Only six month ago these same guys (Prydeclub and Dmitry Evseev) made another video, where this same shit happens.
Nothing personal, i wouldnt be so proud and happy to upload in you tube 2 videos like these.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:32 pm

sabraxas wrote:
Only six month ago these same guys (Prydeclub and Dmitry Evseev) made another video, where this same shit happens.
Sorry for the rant Toby. But it's like sabraxas said. Same shit different day.
Goes back to my first point: don't get yourself in this mess.
Yea, maybe it wasn't his fault lines rapped. But I can gaurentee that he and the student weren't paying attention because the camera.
grigorib wrote:
But I'd be damn ready with my lines rolled and kite in hand by the time he arrives
Grigorib points out my second point: get yourself out of the mess.
I live in a world where rescue doesn't exist. And even if it did exist:
Sitting on your board while drifting farther out waiting for a boat while taking no action to resolve the mess in case the boat never shows is not an option.

That said, my third point:
High fives on the boat don't seem warranted.

Rant over.

Return to “Kitesurfing”