Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Paracas, Peru

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:08 pm

Hey guys,

planning on going for around 10 days to Paracas early March. Ive done a Little bit of googling but theres a lot of kiteschool webpages that i dont really trust.
My biggest concern is of course the wind... anybody know what is the normal range of it? it states somewhere that is 15-25 knots and in other places is more (hopefuly, i only have a 9m).
My second concern would be if theres anything to do at night-time.

Cheers guys

Gonzavala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach South End UK
Favorite Beaches: East End, paracas, pacasmayo, guincho
Style: freestyle
Gear: Rrds obssesion shinn luigi

Re: Paracas, Peru

Postby Gonzavala » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:29 pm

March is good. 15-25 sounds about right. Of course some days it won't blow and some can be 30+. 9 is a good choice if taking just one kite (that's what I take when I go back home to visit). On the main kite beach you can also rent if you need a different size, although don't expect rental to be cheap. Not that much to do at night unless you go to nearby Pisco, which has bad reputation (ie dangerous) but at least you can have some night fun. In Paracas the restaurants at the large hotels are good.

Hope that helps.

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:31 am

Gonzavala wrote:March is good. 15-25 sounds about right. Of course some days it won't blow and some can be 30+. 9 is a good choice if taking just one kite (that's what I take when I go back home to visit). On the main kite beach you can also rent if you need a different size, although don't expect rental to be cheap. Not that much to do at night unless you go to nearby Pisco, which has bad reputation (ie dangerous) but at least you can have some night fun. In Paracas the restaurants at the large hotels are good.

Hope that helps.
It does help. I was thinking on stying on a hostal in front of the beach so there would be something to do at night. For what is says on internet it should blow almost 7 times a week, is that truly right? is Windguru reliable? because it doesnt show that much wind..

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:14 am

Hi,

I am from Peru leaving in Australia. Most of the time is windy. The wind can not be warranty anywhere in the world. Just read about the king of the air. They had a few days with poor winds. Most people who Kite are friendly and most likely you are going to have a good time. Plan your trip if there is no wind. For example you can visit the Nazca lines, You can go pisco testing to ICA, You can go dune crussing or go for a surf . Surf is everywhere. The wild life tour can be shit if there are no animal to see due to mating season or weather problems. Don't eat any vegetable unless you have wash them. Do not be walking around with gold chains or expensive cameras for everyone to see. DOn't leave staff on the beach. It is a 3rd world county Check out this site http://www.villakite.com/ Peru is an adventure.

take a 12 and 9. If you have a bigger kite take it

cheers

Gonzavala
Medium Poster

Postby Gonzavala » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:42 am

That's solid advice from Cisco. Wind is always risky. That said, March is usually good so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, the wind is thermal so windguru struggles to predict it right. In general, anything coming from the south at more than 10 knots means it's a good day. Anything north means no wind.
In terms of where to stay, Villa Kite it's definitely a good option, ran by a friend of mine who also kitesurfs. If you want something cheaper, there's Bamboo campers. Their main advantage is that they are located right at the kite beach (the windiest spot on the bay). There are two more expensive hotels nearby, but you do want to be on the southern end of the bay.
Most hostals are on the north side, so be careful with that.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:08 pm

Can anyone let me know what the wind is like here in October or November? Any other spots in Peru that are better that time of year?

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:54 pm

i returned to Peru last April. The water was warm and the wind strong in Paracas. flat water on the other side of the bay and clean water with lots of sea life. Amazing. going back for sure. In town there is a backpakcer hotel with a nice bar and lots of tourist with good actitude. Very small town. The kite hotel in front of the area where all kite people get together is very good and they can advice you.

To kite on flat water Paracas is the best.

Gallito Siego is very good but no life at night. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=peru ... :1,lf_ui:2

If you kite waves then you have Pacasmayo and Talara are. Lots of wind and waves.

Jose

Gonzavala
Medium Poster

Postby Gonzavala » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:38 pm

October/November is quite solid in Paracas - don't remember well about other places, probably never went on those months. I'd say everywhere is good though. Paracas is good all year round, but winter (austral) can be a bit all or nothing. The spots in the north are usually better outside the summer months.

And as usual, there's no kiting in Lima or nearby, Paracas is the closest spot (3 hour drive south), then to the north there's Pacasmayo (8 hour drive if I remember correctly) and all the way close to Ecuador the various beaches in the north (you probably want to fly there).

If you plan to go north, call the hotels in advance to make sure roads/infrastructure are already repaired as there was heavy flooding during the summer.

Wingyam
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pal, iles de la madeleine, qc, canada
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Wingyam » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:12 am

hi!
I'm looking to go to Paracas next week, looking for any advices on places to stay. travelling solo so ideally looking for a hostel or lodge where I can meet other kiteboarders. Would you recommend renting a car from lima to drive to the kite beach from the city, or is it better to use the bus and find a place to stay right on the kite spot.

thanks a lot!

ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 am

Reach out to Casey and Scotty at Perukite.com

They run great kiteschool there...

https://perukite.com

https://www.instagram.com/that_kite_couple/

Return to “Kitesurfing”