Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do you rig your lines ?

Forum for kitesurfers

How do you rig your lines ?

A/A - Side to the wind, both when alone and when other kites on the beach.
28%
B/B - J shape, both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
1%
B/A - J shape when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
No votes
C/C - Lines and bar downwind both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
41%
C/A - Lines and bar downwind when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
11%
D/D - Lines and bar upwind both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
11%
D/A - Lines and bar upwind when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
8%

Total votes: 79

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How do you rig your lines ?

Postby Carlos_C » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Windmaker.......that is /was Fokitens method..which he drove people nuts about. Funny thing is I still remember it even though at the time I never used/owned any inflatable kites (Flysurfer only for nearly 10 years)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 am

edt wrote:i always use J because I self launch so much but I guess I'm the only person who does it this way. I always pump up first because if it's windy (25+ knots) your lines will turn into a rats nest if you don't launch right away after setting up the lines so that's just a habit I have now.

Snip...

If everyone at a busy launch is setting up a particular way like downwind or upwind I will do whatever everyone else does, less confusion.
Just a note, the poll and question was explicit:

If you got lots of space, how do you prefer to rig your lines when alone, and when others (=crowded and tight) at the beach ?
Assuming you have a launch helper in both scenarios
:thumb:

If you rig up or downwind because you see others doing this at a busy spot, you are really a nuisance to everybody launching and landing :x :o :cry: , so not as simple as "follow the hords".

It makes little sense to rig "the same way" as others, when cross the way you start and land the kites :wink:
Only the very moment if you ALL rig simultaneously and coordinated and go out and in at the very same time it might work (which never happens at crowded spots)

Edt, you rarely ride in crowded tight spots I assume, so no way you could know till you do this often - then it will become evident :rollgrin:

A bit baffled over the awareness many has in this respect, both kitesurfers I talk to and in this thread - and that just as many got no clue what a mess it can make :roll:

8) Peter

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:01 pm
Laughingman wrote:You left out the option of not running your lines out to rig your kite...
Even if you use a line manager or keep your lines attached you still have to "run out" your lines before you launch unless you are drift launching.
I suppose...? but its not the same as "running out" your lines, typically the way I do it is get dressed, attach my lines, then final check, pick up my kite and hand it to some unsuspecting kiter standing by the shore, then walk out into the water allowing the lines to fall off my bar. this way I take up no beach space with my lines. So if you include this in "running out" your lines I'd say sideways.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 am
when cross the way you start and land the kites :wink:
Thats all that really needs to be said!
R H

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:19 pm

revhed wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 am
when cross the way you start and land the kites :wink:
Thats all that really needs to be said!
R H
Spot on, yes :thumb:

8) Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:50 pm

funny....c makes no sense to me. I would do it if that was everyone at spot does it, but to me it just makes me have to walk more.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:00 am

Side to the wind but that's because it works a lot better for race foils. When I rig an inflatable I always rig dead downwind and launch ASAP or roll up my bar if I'm not riding right away.

Return to “Kitesurfing”