jd1433
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Minneapolis
Gear: -Beginner
Brand Affiliation: None

Beginner in Vietnam

Postby jd1433 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 pm

Going to be in Vietnam from March 3rd to March 27th and figured this is the time to get into the sport I have dying to get into for a while: kitesurfing. 2 of my favorite things are skydiving and wakeboarding so I naturally assume I'll love it.

My trip is mostly planned out due to a friends wedding. Itinerary includes
-HCMC
-Quy Nhon
-Hoi An
-Da Nang
-Hue
Unless someone knows different it doesn't appear there are any active schools in those cities.

So it looks like I may have to make an excursion to Mui Ne at the tail end of my trip unless anyone thinks there is a better city to go learn. I have Sat and Sunday the 25th and 26th open. I was thinking about arriving on Friday the 24th to Mui Ne, but due to bus time from HCMC I might not get to Mui Ne until the early afternoon. If a made a lot of sense in my lessons I could conceivably arrive the night of Thursday the 23rd.

So questions
1) I've been told that beginners need good wind, but its better to have flatter water that many schools in Mui Ne may not be as good with. True? Is it an important item to focus on?
2) I've been told that Mui Ne can be pretty crowded which impacts the experience?
3) This is the end of March is there a significant risk of inadequate wind for a day?
4) Does the sport wear you out enough to require spreading lessons over a few days?
5) Any chance that the wind will have started shifting from the South like it does in the summer making Malibu beach calmer?
6)Any specific schools you recommend?
-If wake and crowd is a big deal is there a different/better school you recommend that takes its students to a superior location?

Any other tips for a beginner?

ELI
Medium Poster

Re: Beginner in Vietnam

Postby ELI » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Mui Ne can be choppy,and crowded,should be windy but there is Always a chance of getting skunked anywhere. GET fit .core and all . Body weight workouts ... pushups .squats ,etc are enough for lessons .I do not have any recommendations about schools.but they do A LOT of lessons ,some with headphone direction. Lessons can start early (9-10)with lite wind before the chop builds and it gets crowded . Depending on your time and $ you can take a a/c cab for 100 usd. picked me up at airport drove straight there 4 hours,( saved cab fare ,hotel,bus or train cost and time.)and I was fresh the next a.m. I used KIWI taxi 1st class service w/wifi.

jd1433
Rare Poster

Postby jd1433 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:29 am

Is there any good option for less choppy and less crowded spot?

Also it sounds like shallowness is a big plus for beginners. Are the beaches in Mui Ne pretty shallow or deep?

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:46 am

You don t really need spot to be shallow.
If you follow proper step to learn at no point you are required to walk in water.
First thing you learn in water is to body drag which doesn't require you to walk. Once you are good artists enough to retrieve board and relaunch kite.

Anyway, ideal conditions is flat water steady 18knots wind and boat support so you get max board and flight time while on water.
Most of us here learned the hard way, walking back upwind.

Usually 3 hours session is enough per day. There is a lot of down time. If you have good stamina you could do 2 set of lessons.

don't worry too much about ideal conditions, if there is a kiteschool then you can learn atthat spot.
Now if you want to optimize $$$ and time that's another story.

If you already wakeboard you should get up pretty quick. You have to learn kite control then you should get up easily. what might take a few hours is to lean in the harness with proper stance, which wakeboarding doesn't exactly teach. Still easier with board skills though!

ELI
Medium Poster

Postby ELI » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 am

Not much better spots as far as I know in that area of coast . Certainly not within the the time frame you have.Take some lessons ,the instructors teach many people there and will get you going . Water is not shallow,there are net bouys (bottles)all about.Wind can be great ,if you understand the term...wind is side on from the left. It will push you downwind and back to the beach .Shorebreak in the afternoon after it blows 5-6-7 m for a couple of hours. Many students from everywhere ,but not many from the states.but english is spoken at all places . Cheap massages.If you go ....revive the thread and give a updated report Trang the owner of windchimes is from San Francisco with a good group of instructors and beach boys to assist you ,Quay and Dong are great. kiteboarding-Vietnam .com :thumb:

jd1433
Rare Poster

Postby jd1433 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:22 am

Prelimary look had me interested in Windchimes and Source (uses Malibu beach on the other side of the point).

Word on Windchimes is pretty good (especially considering he is American and his English is good), but if I look at where its located it looks like he's smack dab in the middle of the beach surrounded by other schools. Any issue with there being so many other schools in close proximity?

ELI
Medium Poster

Postby ELI » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Some other schools are run by Russians ,there are Kiwis,Australians,Chinese,German,etc. No problem with English .His beach boys are attentive for help and watch for your safety ,Quite a bit more so than the Dom. Rep. Many make the assumption that the lack of complete mastery of english indicates a lack of intelligence ,although the person may have greater "Smarts" than you would find in many people . If the place is working /going off with wind, Malibu is "onshore"wind direction with a larger shorebreak .Trang/ WC beach access is in the middle of a"LUX" resort so there is more beach room than many there. It may well seem V. Busy for you on the water but the instructors take this into consideration. Be thank full you are not learning in Tarifa!

jd1433
Rare Poster

Postby jd1433 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:50 am

I think you may have just convinced me to go with Windchimes.

They seem to have a good reputation and I think your only confirming.

Thanks

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 am

These are the most important things for learning to kitesurf in order:
1) Steady wind
2) Good gear
3) flat water
4) warm water
5) shallow water

Of course quality instruction can be more important than any of those too.

And don't let people tell you that all the gear is great now, one of the biggest factors I have seen in teaching kitesurfing is using a kite like the Liquid Force Solo which is almost impossible to backstall. By far the most common beginner mistake is over-sheeting the kite and essentially choking it but the LF Solo flys amazingly well when over-sheeted.

I only know Mu Nei and it's got choppy and deep water, so you'll have to do some research to find a better spot.

ELI
Medium Poster

Postby ELI » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:26 am

I just stored gear at W/Chimes,but got to know a few guys .No lessons . Others may disagree but the wind there is good and this looks like it fits your schedule .2 days for lessons will start you . Enjoy and post here about your experience .

Return to “Kitesurfing”