Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is there a minimum wind strength for jumping strapless?

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Is there a minimum wind strength for jumping strapless?

Postby BWD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Made myself a light wind/small wave board sort of skim/paipo/Simmons inspired 5'x22"
Finishing build was very disappointed with its weight but found it rides great (except in washboard chop) and also jumps great -even at a ridiculous weight of 4kg. Extra width makes it a wing that can float in the air.
Nice little strapless jumps in about 12knots I think, floaty glide in 15. And too damn wide in >15 or solid chop. Fun upwind "antifoil" with quad fins in light wind though.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:32 pm

There can be some kite whip in your jumps, but it much less than with a TT and only really works when there is a lot of wind helping to hold the board on your feet. I play with punting decent airs in high winds but it requires a grab to stop from losing the board when the kite slows your decent. Grab and hold the rail from apex to just before touch down.

In lighter winds there is only a little lift from the kite and most of its from the ramp and ollie.

Speed helps and can make up for some wind strength, but your board ends up bottom facing forward more than windward. There is quite a difference between my airs from a few years ago with a much heavier board and now with a really light board.

Punt wax also makes a massive difference, but its a pain, so generally only gets used on decent days.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Cool thanks for all the advice, looking forward to the next windy day to try it :D

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Starsky wrote:I play with punting decent airs in high winds but it requires a grab to stop from losing the board when the kite slows your decent. Grab and hold the rail from apex to just before touch down.

You don't have to grab. The trick is getting the board vertical with the bottom facing into the wind so it sticks to your feet. Then timing the dive at the end so you can bring the board around to land without it blowing off. It's tricky, but doable. I can usually land big sent airs about half the time with no grab. :-? But getting better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”