Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

so i tried kitesurfing, seems dangerous.

Forum for kitesurfers
alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: so i tried kitesurfing, seems dangerous.

Postby alfredo68 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:39 am

:thumb:
pj sofine wrote:Havent read all the posts but my thought is that you don't choose kitesurfing,it chooses you! There's no logic,or decision making,weighing the risks etc.Of all the sports I've participated in kitesurfing has the "easiest /fastest" learning curve.Windsurfing takes years to perfect,it was 6 years before I was trying forwards and back loops.We had guys back in "the day" become sponsored kiters after 1 yr! I have a healthy fear that keeps me alive but I don't consider it any more dangerous than any other sport.My wife is a expert windsurfer who tried kiting in 2002,fell on land, got dragged and got 30 stiches on her forearm,that was it, she could be a top level rider but doesn't have the "itch" So I'm stuck being married to a "poleboarder".I don't "push her" to try again. I have to kitesurf, maybe its a unhealthy compulsion, at least its legal.So don't over think it ,maybe its not the sport for you,no biggy! Enjoy your free time with something you find rewarding and "fun".

Jasonjm
Rare Poster
Style: Crashing
Gear: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jasonjm » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:48 pm

OK so I'm taking up this sport. Regular beginner conditions i can handle. I'll go back to LA ventana one day if I get significantly better.

1 question which I'm getting mixed answers on.

Assuming my local spot apparently has wind in the 16 to 18 speed range;

Assuming I buy a 2017 switchblade do I need the 14m model and will I be OK with that?

I'm 210 lbs with a 33 in waist so this is about as small as I get. Certainly I will never drop below 200 on low end.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Yup

Jasonjm
Rare Poster

Postby Jasonjm » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 pm

OK thx and assuming I get that 14m kite at my weight what is the max wind speed before I would need a 2nd smaller kite?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:17 pm

You have quiet some weight!
With some experience you can hold your 14 quiet long...also depending on your board.

I assume 25 knots is possible. But not in the beginning...take it easy and once you ride stay out when the wind gets a bit more and see what you can handle.

Next size would be a 10...good combination with a 14.

Jasonjm
Rare Poster

Postby Jasonjm » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm

OK Cool. My daughter has shown an interest in kite surfing. 5 ft 7 130 lbs at 13 years old perhaps the 10m be good for her. Yeah she got my genes she is not happy about it.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm

I have been in a few situations, hundreds of meters away from the shoreline, in chop/waves with a downed kite.

I couldn't imagine a person lacking water skills being able to withstand the constant extremes of cold water, chop, waves, and wind;
all while attempting to avoid getting tangled in lines.

A little off topic but...
I've heard it said if a body of a plus 45 year old kiter or surfer is recovered from the water...they most likely had a heart attack.

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Jasonjm wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 pm
OK thx and assuming I get that 14m kite at my weight what is the max wind speed before I would need a 2nd smaller kite?

At 220+, I've ridden the last few years with a 14 and 11. Combined with a large and medium board,
I can ride 90% of the wind here. I just picked up an 8 and a smaller board for the nuking days.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:16 am

I've read some of these posts but not the whole thread. I started kitesurfing in 2002 after a 10 year break from windsurfing. At that point I was 42 yrs old. My initial feeling after 5 days x 6 hrs instruction/ day in French ( barely understand it) in a group of 8, with 2 line kites in Cold water of Atlantic, was, yeah it's potentially deadly, but if you're smart, and take it easy, you won't die or hurt yourself. I'm still kitesurfing, learning to hydrofoil now. Worst thing that's happened is broken ribs after poorly timed back-roll kiteloop back in 2007.
Of interest is that in 2007 I took up skateboarding in bowls and park again after a 35 year break. After a few years and much much more fear and pain than I ever experienced kitesurfing, I learned to drop into 8 ft bowls, do a 50-50 and zoom around the bowls. I still skate, but it's far more scary than kitesurfing in 30 knots, 2 m North Sea waves, in Cold water. alone.
You should listen to your instincts, find a balance. You can't force it. Deal with your anxiety until you are proficient. You may or may not be able to with kitesurfing.
Be smart, don't do anything you don't feel like you can handle.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:21 pm

just stay away from the guys with helmets on and never fly a ram air..... youll be safe!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”