Rare Poster
Local Beach: Darien Beaches
Gear: None yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is 16m too much for me?

Postby Ethanh100 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 am

So I am building up my quiver of kites, and have found a really good deal on a liquid force session 16m 2010. However, I was looking for something more in the 13-14m range, but have been thinking about 16m. Its not very windy at all where I kite, very rarely is it above 15knts. Usually it will be anywhere from 8 to 13 knots on a good day, and anything above 16 or so I would be taking my 9m out. I weigh 140lbs. So is this too big for me do you think? I have been looking at various charts for kite size and some seem to point me towards a 15 or 16m, while others say much less like a 13m. My friend who kites has recently gotten a 16m due to the lack of wind around here, and he is very similar in size so I guess thats a bit of justification. Thanks!

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Re: Is 16m too much for me?

Postby Frank82 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 am

If the wind rarely gets above 13 knots then a 16 will be just fine.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:08 am

You need power in the kite to have fun.
Hydrofoil is different, maybe that could be an alternative or second option when your wind is that light.

A friend of mine has around the same weight as you and he rides his 16 until 25 knots. So don't worry, you can hold it easily up to 15 knots.

Just make sure your first launch is on a safe place with space, best if you stand in the water when launching. Get to know your kite and it's slower steering.

Once used to its power you will find learning new tricks is much easier and safer than with your 9. Do a Backroll and see what I mean ;-)

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 am

Yep a 16 will be ok..
Here is a very useful technique for relaunching in ligjt winds - practice it, will get you out of sticky situations :cool2:
https://youtu.be/TyW_Xfkhe0g

https://youtu.be/TyW_Xfkhe0g

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:11 am

That is EXTREMELY individual.

I dont know or see any around here, typical weights meaning 10-15 kg heavier than you (you are extremely light), except those who are over 90 kg (200 lbs), who uses a 16 m2 kite.

14 m2, occasionally a 15 especially for the heavy guys, is used for TT riding and necessary yes.

But we got all sorts of wind here, sometimes almost no wind, other times loads of wind, so would not make sense to have a 16 m2 that is "gutless" in every way, and get overpowered and pull you sideways if the wind picks up :roll:

Not many years ago, these sizes were used in summerdays - but now twintippers has found that a 12 or 14 m2 is way more fun and agile, and can almost start as early, so kites over 15 m2 are not really used here anymore.
Also, WHEN light wind, they dont go out but wait for windier days (not possible for you it seems), or, which happens more often, choose another type of board instead of a bigger kite - as this is a win win on days with changing winds where you just pick up the other board instead of rigging several kites.

(Assuming you are talking twintip boards, as if you rode on waveboards or hydrofoils you would not ask this question)

Some are fine with a light and really big kite, others hate these and would never own one, so as said - extremely individual.

If you trust your friend, meaning that you think you will have a similar liking - go for the 16 m2 is my advice :thumb:

Nothing dangerous about this size, it has more grunt yes, and a fraction more power than a 12 but often not more powerspike, so TOO big, nope.

Simply personal preferences if you will like it or not...
With your low weight, you might consider the "light" big kites, as they can hang in lulls and be relaunched way better - where a "normal" 16 m2 kite, with your low weight thus relatively light wind even on a TT, will stay on the water unable to relaunch again if it goes down, and you have to swim or drift ashore.

8) Peter

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:31 pm

I agree a lot what Peter Frank said, but then you need good flying skills and board skills. Then if flyed actively there is not very big gain if kite is few meters bigger. But of course there is very different kites in those sizes, and beginner does not have skills to use everything kite allows.

Unfortunately LF Session 16m isn't nearly as good light wind kite as modern big LEI's. It is more like normal wind kite for very heavy kiters. I tried it long time ago and it had heavy feeling which I didn't like at all. Deal should be very good if that kite is a good choice, if even then...

For a beginner modern big LEI's increase a lot their successful kiteboarding time, depending the usual winds of course. What Toby said about safety (lower winds and slower handling) and hangtime advantages is of course true, but if you want really jump with big kites you need power and technique. Weight also helps, but I know guys who are not heavyweight and do jump decently with big kites, >20feet.

Shortly, I suggest to pass that one.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 pm

its true that gains are little with big and bigger kites........but if you dont have one then you are always at the beach saying " just give me one more knot"

a 16m would be absolutly fine but the new light wind kites will be way better than a regular weight 16m. The difference at some point between a 16 and a 14 or thirteen is you would have to constantly sine the smaller kite ( fun gone)while you could park the big one. If you want to have any resemblance of fun in 8kts then 16m.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:26 pm

fogmeister wrote:its true that gains are little with big and bigger kites........but if you dont have one then you are always at the beach saying " just give me one more knot"

a 16m would be absolutly fine but the new light wind kites will be way better than a regular weight 16m. The difference at some point between a 16 and a 14 or thirteen is you would have to constantly sine the smaller kite ( fun gone)while you could park the big one. If you want to have any resemblance of fun in 8kts then 16m.
Yes, the new lighter light wind kites are so much better - DONT get a regular "heavy" 16 m2, it will be utter crap for 64 kg only, when light wind :x

Very personal about the "fun" - I would have way more fun having to sine a faster 14 a bit, than a parked 16 m2 (fun gone) thats for sure :rollgrin:
Others have a riding style where it is opposite, or opposite likings :naughty:

8) Peter

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Nice light wind relaunch tutorial vid!

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 pm

:) yes peter but what i mean is the only way to be riding(at a certain light wind limit) is to constantly be sineing a 14m kite otherwise you dont move(andprob cant stay upwind)........in this case the 16 or 17 or 19 or 21would be much better and work. Then you go even lower where you cant get going on a 17, but hop on a 21m flysurfer and away you go again. So size is never too big to get moving as each size bigger will get you lower (except maybe hydrofoil, but even here i have seen 19m ozone r1v2 go upwind, while a 12m couldnt anymore even though he was riding.) There was even a time where i was on my 18m sonic and flyrace.....where i could get up but just coulnt keep going for long. Then i hopped on a 21m and was pain fully riding upwind (but riding). So differences are small but there. Ultimately on a twin tip you cant buy a too big, big kite......as at some low end point you need every ounce of power. I would hazard to say from 8kts up a 15m o 16m lightwindkite is great for 65kg rider (on a big door).........8 kts and down biggest ass lightwind kite you can get.

cheers :D
:cheers:

Return to “Kitesurfing”