Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Shoulder dislocation

Postby BernieTomic1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 am

My shoulder went out when I did a toeside pop with the arm dragging in the water. Not a subluxation, but a full anterior dislocation.
I'm looking for your experience with time to get back on the water.
Obviously there are many variables, but it would be interesting to hear when others felt good to go again.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shoulder dislocation

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:31 pm

It all depends on your injury. But also maybe check to do some PRP or Stem Cells therapy in case. I did Stem Cells for my knee.

https://vimeo.com/199158259

simokite
Rare Poster

Postby simokite » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:01 am

Hi Bernie,same accident... I was riding really fast with npmy new race gear, crash down into the water and finally anterior shoulder dislocation with problem to ligaments.
I prefered to do the surgery to fix ligaments... accident at end of June and now I'm fine; I will get back in the water in one month time...
Good luck

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks for your replies.
A reply from Dimitri M. can certainly put a smile in my face, with thoughts of funny videos and cool tricks.
There are papers on injection therapy, including with stem cells, for glenoid labrum tears. I'll have to look at the quality of those. I'm in the medical field, although not in orthopedics. Don't think there is any experience with this kind of treatment in my country.

I'm glad you are on your way back Simo.
What ligament problems did you have? Were they visualised on MRI, or was it a clinical problem? I don't think an anterior luxation is even possible without ligament damage. I dislocated my shoulder the first time 3 years ago doing brazilian jiu jitsu. Was back able to do full lifting after 3 months and did not have problems before now. And the movement I did, with a stretched and outwards rotated arm, with the vector of the rotation pushing it further out and back, was just asking for this to happen.
Being out 9 months is such a long time, but maybe you normally don't kite in winter? I know that you would be advised to keep the arm fixed for 6 weeks, and then probably 2-3 months of movement training and physiotherapy before you could expect to get out to kite.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out earlier.
Obviously the problem would not be mowing the lawn but that there are so many factors in kiting, where you will have to be able to trust power and stability in the joint to ride, and more so to be able to solve possible problems should they occur.

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:17 pm

simokite wrote:I was riding really fast with npmy new race gear, crash down into the water and finally anterior shoulder dislocation with problem to ligaments.
I prefered to do the surgery to fix ligaments... accident at end of June and now I'm fine; I will get back in the water in one month time...
Good luck
How did you manage that situation? Were you in deep water? How did you get back to shore?
How did you land?
Good luck to you as well.

simokite
Rare Poster

Postby simokite » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 am

Hi Bernie, yes they found out ligaments broken down with MRI..My recovery has been quite long, I know, but I prefer to not force recovery time..kite it's my passion but it's not my work so I decided to get back into water only when I'm 100% caught up..
Regarding accident It was strange...unbelievable pain but in the end totally focused to go back to the beach...I went back through bodydrag taking bar with the other arm..I was lucky.
GOod luck for the recovery process

Return to “Kitesurfing”