Local Beach: Tarifa, Bretagne
Gear: Best Ts14, Kahoona 10.5, North Neo 6m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo Gen 5 Flite Review

Postby Nico7 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:19 pm

Thx for your helpfull answer SparD
My Vader is new and it's a lot of fun to drive it above 14knts.
I prefer to feel the water and waves, foilkiting at the moment isn't in my focus
But I'm always jealous if there is 10knts and everyone is foiling;-)
I would use the 17 just to eliminate the time between 10-14knts;-)
And as I heard the 17m turns quickly, so it should works also in 1m Waves with 12knts with my weight and Board..
I hope so;-)

Digdawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Snowkite:
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Favorite Beaches: Key West
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
- Aluula Flite 17m
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Crave 12m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:18 am

Dominic,
I ride a 17m flite and love the 14.5. For 10 knots your going to want the 17. It's not a 14/15 on how it handles, but for a 17 I have had a ton of fun on it! I used to have a 15 Best Taboo - the 17 Flite is light years faster than that 15. Sometimes when I'm working on a new trick I look for wind where I can try them on the 17 because it's so forgiving.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 am

Just sold mine but regrettably as they're a great kite. I had the 14.5m gen 5.

Awesome on a foil board. With 27m lines and at 85kgs as long as the kite could stay in the sky (5-6 knots), I could foil.

On a twintip i needed 10 knots to hold ground and 12-15 knots to have fun.

Tried lots of different line lengths. Because it turns so quick, I found 24-26m lines were optimal and gave some extra low end.

The kite flies like a delta kite i.e. the bandit. In very light wind you must be careful not to choke it by holding the bar in too much when doing power strokes. Let the bar out on the upstroke and keep it moving fast through the window and you wont need the 17m Flite.

It took me ages to dial in the kiteloops. It would loop too fast and without any power making me crash many tricks. I found that having the bar pulled 2/3rds in when looping and sheeting out asap as the kite rises to the zenith would give a better power deliver through the loop and allow old school tricks like darkslides and backroll hand drags to be completed

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sat May 20, 2023 8:02 pm

Just want to state here for posterity that I have been using every size gen 5 flite and nothing, I repeat, Nothing comes close to these for their category of performance per dollar spent. They are the fastest, snappiest, most powerful, easiest and vertical boosters, upwind scorching lei kites. The loops are super duper fast and snappy, not a powerful spike like a “proper” looper, but FAST and tight on the spot. Never afraid of loops with these. They flick like no other into a very vertical and lofty boost. The top end has a limit, but at or near that limit baby the kite has ridiculous sheet in lift and loft - combined with the reactive steering makes this kite very exhilarating to use. I have never ridden a kite that was easier to land boosts with either.

I just don’t know about my future now. Aluula kites cost too much. And for my riding I am not wholly convinced they would be any better than the gen 5’s I bought for 1000 or 700 or less each.

There is magic in these. Its not only the light build. Maybe the old style “rollover” bridle with six pulleys in it. Maybe the way they flex or twist when turned. I don’t know. All I know for sure is nothing compares.
Every other kite I try feels like a DOG in comparison, its not even close, be it less power, less reactivity, less forward drive, slower everything, heavier feeling, less boosty, just plain less lively. Some do certain things as well, but not all the things put together as the gen 5 flite , that makes them stand apart for me.

I use Clouds for surf/foil and they are also awesome at what they do. I am equally satisfied with them for their purpose. Also quite inexpensive as I got all mine used. These are still in production so I feel some security there, plus the ufo sounds like its ok. Anyway, sorry off topic.

Having every size and multiple of a couple sizes gen 5 flite has kept these going for me a long time but Im worried.
Ocean rodeo is fast becoming a brand that is not affordable for the lowly toilet scrubbing chainsaw wielding type like myself.
They made the HL kites for that reason, but only in the big sizes flite, and I think they aren’t going to do any dacron kites anymore moving forward. The aluula ones sound great and everything but the price for a full quiver??? Lets add that up. Actually lets not, its too depressing. I refuse to reduce size options in the quiver to save money, that’s ridiculous. The “just buy one kite instead of two” argument for aluula is infuriating. Not falling for it.

Suffice it to say I am babying my totally awesome and totally affordable Gen 5 Flites along as far as they can possibly go. So soooo glad I got them when they were available. Just don’t want to have to step backwards when it comes to replacing with something else.

Cdog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Berkeley,
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island Rio Vista California USA
Style: Freeride
Gear: Close out cragslist hand me downs

Postby Cdog » Sun May 21, 2023 3:34 pm

Yeah me too
Love the flites for foiling been babying mine along too
There’s a couple of us that foil on 10 m in the lightest of winds
I have a 12m that I don’t use as often as the 10m
Right now I got a roam hl 9m that I’m starting to enjoy especially as the wind builds
And a 6 m boxer that I love in stronger wind
But neither one replaces the flite
My search to replace my flites continues

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun May 21, 2023 5:50 pm

How is the bar pressure of the 14.5m Flite .Steering force and holding force? Any comparisons to other kites? Do they get higher in stronger Winds?

bcook
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 200#
Local Beach: boston
Gear: twin tip, strapless SB, foil.
OR kites

Postby bcook » Mon May 22, 2023 1:43 am

I agree, Gen 5 and 6 flites are great. I have 8, 10, 12, and 14.5. I use the aluula roam more now on the surfboard, but still pull out the flites for tt. Also, my son is learning on the flites and progressing well.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon May 22, 2023 10:13 am

Back when I was looking to change over from my flites (10m and 12m) for something with a little more pull in the loop, I tested out the eleveight RS (v4). It was a fairly similar proposition but with more pull in the loops, better high end - worse hangtime. If you were looking for something similar in dacron construction, its about as close as I found. Might be worth a test? I do miss my 12m.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Tue May 23, 2023 3:32 am

Flite 10m . My Most used kite ever . for all the reasons already stated .

Maybe we can get ocean rodeo to have a special 10m flite released for the flite fanatics

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Tue May 23, 2023 3:33 am

Also I recomend giving the bridal lock a try, makes large handling difference

Return to “Kitesurfing”