Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo Gen 5 Flite Review

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo Gen 5 Flite Review

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:19 pm

SparD wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 pm

- Windrange is huge ! The low end is amazing, the kite hangs in the air in 5-6 knots but as I am not the thinnest or the lightest I need at least 8-9 knots to get going on the hydrofoil. Top end is also really great, I hadn't the occasion of testing this 12m² in strong wing wind but with the twintip I can easily hold my Gen4 10m² in 30 knots gusting 35 where it's a boosting machine !
I can confirm that the top end of the 12m is pretty good. Was very comfortable up to 20 knots (gusting a few knots more) at 78 pies heavy on a medium twin tip. At the end of that session it picked up closer to 25 knots and it was manageable although I was well aware of the power (verdict: do-able but I'd rather be on a smaller size).

It might just be me, but I think the bar feel is improved at the lower end of the wind range on the Gen5 (compared to Gen4). Anyone else noticed this?

martino86
Medium Poster
Style: Allround
Gear: Ozone Enduro, Lieuwe Shotgun, Firewire Evo
Been thanked: 0

Postby martino86 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi guys

I'm 141lbs (naked) and thinking about the 14.5 Flite. Currently I'm on 12/9/7 Enduros. The 12 Enduro is great and keeps me going in 11 Knots but sometimes I wish I had a kite that stays up there a little longer in lulls. I've three Boards, Twintip in 132*39 and 145*45 and a Firewire Evo. Not so experienced yet on my surfboard.

Does it make sense to buy a 14.5 Flite?

SparD
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:37 pm

If your issue is the kite falling down during lulls, then definitely get a Flite. It's crazy how little wind it needs to stay in the air.

martino86
Medium Poster

Postby martino86 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks! 12 or 14.5 what do you think?

SparD
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:56 pm

If you want to use it for surfing, get the smallest/quickest so the 12. If you want the best low end, get the 14.5 !

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various
Has thanked: 0

Postby BrunoC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:41 pm

martino86 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 pm
Thanks! 12 or 14.5 what do you think?
I weigh 142lbs and ride the 12m Flite down to 10kts or so on a non-light wind directional. If I had the 14.5 I guess I could go a bit lower on wind but I would over power too soon when it picked up. I get more range out of the 12 by switching to a really small board and petsonalkt wouldn't want to give up the top end.

I vote 12m Flite

Kitehume
Medium Poster
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Lake Hume, Australia.
Favorite Beaches: Corona Beach
Isolation Bay
Gear: Oceanrodeo Rise Aluula 12m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 10m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 7m
Oceanrodeo flite 10m
Ocean rodeo flite 14.5m
Shinn king gee 146x46
Shinn monk gold 135x42
Shinn Sunburner 112cm
Armstrong Hs1050

Postby Kitehume » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 am

I weigh 67kg (147 pounds).
I Kite on a inland lake. So mostly flat water and chop.
I bought a 12m flite. Used it for a good 6 months. Thought it was great. Light bar pressure, turns like a 9m. Works best with the included line extensions I found. And also a fast light wind board.
I then bought a flite v4 14.5m. Cause I wanted a bit more lift for tricks in the light wind.
Well holey smokes what a kite. Hardly ever use 12m any more. It still has the light bar pressure. Loops very quickly. Can easily do back roll kite loops. And great boost with long glides and soft landings. Sometimes I am out in light wind. And look at the trees that are hardly moving. And say what the f@&k! How is this possible. With my mates looking from the shore in disbelief.
I use it up to 20knts no worries. Then I change over to my prodigy 9.5m. The 14.5m relaunches from 8 knots. The 12m needs a least 10knts. The 14.5m is not an overly grunty kite so I find I still have to use my shinn king gee 146x46 in order for the kite to get up to speed and build apparent wind when it's really light wind.
Also this season used the 14.5m to learn to foil on my liquid force rocket foil. With great success. I am able to get out from 8knts, but start to get over powered by around 12knts.
So have just added a 12m prodigy for my light wind foiling. It matches the 14.5m in It's relaunch ability. And makes it easier to go downwind on my foil with its great drifting abilities.
I hope this info helps.

martino86
Medium Poster

Postby martino86 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks that helps a lot!

As I said I'm around 142lbs and have medium skills. Can someone rate the lowend of the Flite 12 in combination with a ligthwind twin tip? What about a foil?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed May 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Kitehume wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 am
I weigh 67kg (147 pounds).
I Kite on a inland lake. So mostly flat water and chop.
I bought a 12m flite. Used it for a good 6 months. Thought it was great. Light bar pressure, turns like a 9m. Works best with the included line extensions I found. And also a fast light wind board.
I then bought a flite v4 14.5m. Cause I wanted a bit more lift for tricks in the light wind.
Well holey smokes what a kite. Hardly ever use 12m any more. It still has the light bar pressure. Loops very quickly. Can easily do back roll kite loops. And great boost with long glides and soft landings. Sometimes I am out in light wind. And look at the trees that are hardly moving. And say what the f@&k! How is this possible. With my mates looking from the shore in disbelief.
I use it up to 20knts no worries. Then I change over to my prodigy 9.5m. The 14.5m relaunches from 8 knots. The 12m needs a least 10knts. The 14.5m is not an overly grunty kite so I find I still have to use my shinn king gee 146x46 in order for the kite to get up to speed and build apparent wind when it's really light wind.
Also this season used the 14.5m to learn to foil on my liquid force rocket foil. With great success. I am able to get out from 8knts, but start to get over powered by around 12knts.
So have just added a 12m prodigy for my light wind foiling. It matches the 14.5m in It's relaunch ability. And makes it easier to go downwind on my foil with its great drifting abilities.
I hope this info helps.
It's great seeing reviews like this! Glad to hear you like both the 14.5 and 12!
martino86 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 4:47 pm
Thanks that helps a lot!

As I said I'm around 142lbs and have medium skills. Can someone rate the lowend of the Flite 12 in combination with a ligthwind twin tip? What about a foil?
I would say if you are focused on the foil for light wind, the 12m is more than enough kite for you and will work in a huge wind range by simply going from foil to directional to TT as the wind builds... However, if you like what Kitehume says above, perhaps consider the 14.5 as well for fun TT riding in light wind conditions.

JZ

martino86
Medium Poster

Postby martino86 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks that helps a lot. :-) Probably the 12 is the better choice as I'm thinking about to add a Nobile Split Foil to my quiver.

Return to “Kitesurfing”