geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Holbox Mexico

Postby geron » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 pm

I agree; "I would bring the 14-9m and I am confident you will ride you 9m 90% of the time"

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:23 pm

I spent the majority of my trip on my 14m. If you are used to European winds (UK) then the Mexican winds can be light and not very powerful, you can easily ride a 14m Torch in 20mph in Mexico. I wished I had a 16 or 18m at times when I was on Holbox. Stunning spot as others have said. We stayed over Easter and accomodation was very Expensive!! far from cheap. Get the bus from Cancun to the port.

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Has anyone been to Holbox end of may first of June? Windfinder shows the winds falling off this time of year. Also does anyone know the season for the whalesharks? thx

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Grizwald wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:39 pm
Has anyone been to Holbox end of may first of June? Windfinder shows the winds falling off this time of year. Also does anyone know the season for the whalesharks? thx
I went there mid May, we got wind every day, always came up in afternoon.
Got 3 12m days and 1 9m I you k.
It was the first week of whale shark season, we did one of the boat tour. So first week of June should’ve in season too.
The local kite shop is there only during the season which is 6 months forgot when it ends.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:46 pm

ComeKiteWithUs wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 pm
Hey Billy!

Holbox should not be windy or you will only have around 30% of getting wind while you are there, if that. We are over in El Cuyo, just a short drive from Holbox and closer to Merida anyways. In April, we will have wind every day. I would bring the 14-9m and I am confident you will ride you 9m 90% of the time. We do not have the tourist operations that Holbox offers, but this is an authentic Mexican fishing village with amazing seafood and awesome wind. Hope that helps!!

Currently we have had 22 straight days of wind, hoping the streak continues.

http://www.comekitewithus.com/blog/el-c ... avel-guide
Interesting that you say the wind is much better at El Cuyo. Any reason why? They seem so close geographically. What about wave riding? Any decent waves there or is it just flat water?

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 am

thanks everyone for the information it is much appreciated

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Thu May 17, 2018 6:20 am

Hey Grizwald,
End of may is right at the end of the season in this part of Mexico. You may get the thermal for a couple of hours in the afternoon if there is no heavy cloud cover or rain.
As previously stated by Saildawg there is a serious smell of bullshit coming from comekitewithus. Holbox gets pretty much the same winds as el cuyo. The other day we did a down winder from Holbox to el cuyo and back again. Wind was virtually the same throughout the entire journey. I guess its comekitewithus attempt to drive traffic there....

Having said that el cuyo is a lovely spot to kite and you can kite right from the beach front places unlike Holbox where we have a specific kite zone upwind of the hotels. If you really want an increase in wind strength maybe look more towards progresso.

El cuyo can get some nice small waves or chop. Holbox has virtually no waves unless you know where and when to look and even then they are tiny, but plenty of flat water or small chop.

The whaleshark season is just starting on Holbox right now but when seasons are starting and ending it's not usually the best times to visit. If you come please drop by the school and say hi, if it's windy we'll point you in the right direction. Holbox Kiteboarding closes 31st May.

Cheers Jonny

Return to “Kitesurfing”