Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Holbox Mexico

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Whats the wind conditions like. I fly into Merida start of April and plan on 2 weeks exploring Yucatan. I plan on coming to Holbox for 4 days.
82kg - Naish Torch 7,9, 11 & 14m - I can only bring 2 kites... ? thinking 9m and 14m.

Any contacts for sorting the 4 days on Holbox.

thanks

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:08 am

I'd take the 9-14

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Btw, bring plenty of cash preferably pesos in denominations of 20, 50 and 100. Part of the remote charm of the island includes ATM's that rarely work or don't have cash. Few establishments take credit cards so don't plan on using them. If you fly into Cancun use the ATM at the airport and convert them into pesos. US Dollars work but you will get a lower exchange rate. This is the biggest tip I wish someone gave me prior to traveling to Holbox.

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby saildawg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Big Sky is correct, bring pesos. My apologies for not mentioning the ATM problems. 500p notes are fine but you might have to have a cocktail at a hotel to break it smaller. Contact Holbox KIteboarding School http://www.holboxkiteboarding.com/ or search them out when you get there. At 75 kg a 12 and 8m with TT.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:52 pm

thanks guys, much appreciated. Will take the 9 and 14m

ComeKiteWithUs
Rare Poster
Local Beach: World
Favorite Beaches: World
Style: Everything
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: www.ComeKiteWithUs.com

Postby ComeKiteWithUs » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Hey Billy!

Holbox should not be windy or you will only have around 30% of getting wind while you are there, if that. We are over in El Cuyo, just a short drive from Holbox and closer to Merida anyways. In April, we will have wind every day. I would bring the 14-9m and I am confident you will ride you 9m 90% of the time. We do not have the tourist operations that Holbox offers, but this is an authentic Mexican fishing village with amazing seafood and awesome wind. Hope that helps!!

Currently we have had 22 straight days of wind, hoping the streak continues.

http://www.comekitewithus.com/blog/el-c ... avel-guide

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi = Can you get a bus from Merida to El Cuyo ? If not we can head to Playa De Carmen and get a bus from there. We will be travelling public transport. Any other spot to recommed, Any flat water spots :-)

Jruffing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cuyo, Mexico
Style: All
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Jruffing » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Sorry my other account wasn't working. Yes, you can get a bus from Merida to El Cuyo, and also from Playa del Carmen. Both cities will make a stop at Tizimin, where you will then take another bus to El Cuyo.

Depending on the wind you have for the day, if its a slow thermal build or a nuker all day. The water can be flatish with a thermal build in the morning for foil and freestyle for bigger kites. Than in the afternoons when the wind picks up, you will be riding your smaller 10-8m kites with small/chop or some rare days medium size waves. We have all different conditions and this is one of the charms of our spots here.

If you want some flat water you can visit Rio Lagartos or San Felipe, there is a break wall you can ride behind for super flat water. To arrive at the beach for kiting in these two spots, take a fisherman boat 5 min ride to the spot and do not pay more than a few dollars.

For daily wind updates you can follow us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/comekitewithus/

Hope that helps..

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Gear: Slingshot

Postby saildawg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:35 pm

El Cuyo and Holbox get the same winds, they are 25 miles apart by air. A bit of BS from come kite with us. Both are great places to kite. If the winds come from due east which they do this time of year as the tradewinds develop, El Cuyo is less kiteable than Holbox. El Cuyo has deeper off the beach water with small developed waves though not surfable. Holbox has shallow off the beach with chop, small waves and flat water. I kited 28 days straight in late March and April of last year with a 12 and 8 m.

MikeZahra
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, DR
Avon NC
Gear: 5'11" Celeritas, Slingshot RPM's and North Fuse

Postby MikeZahra » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:11 pm

I'll be there in March for a week. Trying to decide on kite sizes. Windguru numbers seem awfully low so I'm tempted to bring my 14m kite. Are the reported numbers fairly accurate or understated? I ride a fairly big directional and can use the 14m up until it gets over 20 knots. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”