Rare Poster
Gear: Axis
Fat Lady
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Twintip Advice for Heavy Rider

Postby splitwind » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:36 pm

I am 240#s and an intermediate at best w 17m Fat Lady, 14m & 12m Cab SB and 9m F1 Bandit.

I ride a ton of sloppy Great Lake area chop.

I second the tronic for the chop and just all around fun (I own the 144 but rode just fine on friends 141 prior to purchasing mine). When the wind is light or I just want to cruise, I ride a 148x46 axis vanguard. It is like a Caddilac. Its bigger, with a smooth ride, medium flex, and really like the channeling on the bottom for a beginner/inter riding. I tried 10+ boards prior to landing on these two. My other top favorite is the Crazyfly all around andI had a Monster Door but it wasnt fun to ride. Heard great stuff about the Mako but have not been on one yet. Might be worth a trip to shop to try a few out.

EricSanders
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach Detroit
Favorite Beaches: Tawas, OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger 7.0
LF NRG 10.0
Best Kahuna 13.5
Blade Fat Lady 17.0
Royal Rush 19.0
Pansh Aurora2 22m
Spleen door 164
OceanRodeo Mako King
Liquid Force Edge 146
Axis Vanguard 148
Axis Vanguard 136

Postby EricSanders » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:27 am

+1 on the Axis Vanguard. I have the 148 for low winds with either my 17m Fat Lady. I weight in at 215lb (before the holidays). I like the Vanguard so much I also got a 138 for higher winds.
Eric

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 pm

Probably would not be a good light wind option but if you don't it for light wind then the 160 would be pretty good for your size.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2017-Nomad#.WLsy9X9yV3w

I know it's not a kite board, but sometimes you just have to jump outside the box.

Other than that I would recommend the biggest board with medium flex and a rocker of 1.5-2.5" you can find. The money spot would be ideally 2" rocker in a 150ish board by 44cm min wide.

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy

Postby ragzilla » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 am

Howdy!

Firstly......
DO NOT listen to any advice on your board selection from anybody under 100kg.
It's irrelevant!!

I'm 128kg , 197cm, and I look like I eat little children.
I've had many problems over the years finding the right board that will suit my riding and my size.
I've tried most major brands.

Light wind boards are always too flat (no rocker)..... And are usually made lighter with far too much flex.
I've used a wide range of sizes, from 138x43 right up to 155x46 , and a 5'4" SB.

The wrong board will hold you back dramatically!!
I've had the SS misfits, and crisis, but they are far too sluggish under 130kg, and they're simply not designed for us big guys.
Very few boards really are!

Trust me on this........
You want to find the biggest & stiffest board possible!! Remembering that a small riders 'super stiff' is a heavy guys 'normal flex'

I'm currently on a TONA pop142.
The very first minute on this board and I realised that this is what a board should feel like.
Super stiff board, incredibly heavy duty, medium plus rocker.
They're heavier than most boards, but I find the weight actually smashes through most nasty choppy stuff.
My other boards would bounce and flex and loose all the momentum, but the Pop142 just pounds through it effortlessly.
Stoked with this board, and anybody around my size should have one in the quiver!

Also just bought the Tona 144flow, but it's super high rocker probably isn't suitable for you. I like the board, but it's only really in its element with find off in the butter flat lagoons when lit.
It's not a LW board, and DEFF not for anybody who isn't pushing a wake style agenda.
It's fun, but if I had to get one board for all rounder, I'd get another 142POP

As far as LW board goes..... Go get a directional with straps.
Find a cheap 155 to 160 TT if you want.... But they suck to ride.
Landings don't feel that nice..... They suck to load n pop, and they're simply just not designed for a 130kg rider.

You find me one company that uses a 130kg test rider in the R&D team???

It's taken me about 4 years to get the right board. But once you get the right tool for the job your riding will improve tenfold.

BigD
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Umdloti South Africa
Gear: Cabrinha, Peter Lynn, Ozone, RRD

Postby BigD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:55 pm

ragzilla wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 am
Howdy!

Firstly......
DO NOT listen to any advice on your board selection from anybody under 100kg.
It's irrelevant!!

I'm 128kg , 197cm, and I look like I eat little children.
I've had many problems over the years finding the right board that will suit my riding and my size.
I've tried most major brands.

Light wind boards are always too flat (no rocker)..... And are usually made lighter with far too much flex.
I've used a wide range of sizes, from 138x43 right up to 155x46 , and a 5'4" SB.

The wrong board will hold you back dramatically!!
I've had the SS misfits, and crisis, but they are far too sluggish under 130kg, and they're simply not designed for us big guys.
Very few boards really are!

Trust me on this........
You want to find the biggest & stiffest board possible!! Remembering that a small riders 'super stiff' is a heavy guys 'normal flex'

I'm currently on a TONA pop142.
The very first minute on this board and I realised that this is what a board should feel like.
Super stiff board, incredibly heavy duty, medium plus rocker.
They're heavier than most boards, but I find the weight actually smashes through most nasty choppy stuff.
My other boards would bounce and flex and loose all the momentum, but the Pop142 just pounds through it effortlessly.
Stoked with this board, and anybody around my size should have one in the quiver!

Also just bought the Tona 144flow, but it's super high rocker probably isn't suitable for you. I like the board, but it's only really in its element with find off in the butter flat lagoons when lit.
It's not a LW board, and DEFF not for anybody who isn't pushing a wake style agenda.
It's fun, but if I had to get one board for all rounder, I'd get another 142POP

As far as LW board goes..... Go get a directional with straps.
Find a cheap 155 to 160 TT if you want.... But they suck to ride.
Landings don't feel that nice..... They suck to load n pop, and they're simply just not designed for a 130kg rider.

You find me one company that uses a 130kg test rider in the R&D team???

It's taken me about 4 years to get the right board. But once you get the right tool for the job your riding will improve tenfold.
Thank you for your advice, it's reassuring to hear it from someone my size and weight.

Unfortunately we don't have any dealers that stock the Tona Pop in South Africa so I can't test ride it, however I have found a second hand one in the UK which I could possibly buy without trying as it's fairly cheap:

http://www.s2as.com/used-equipment/used ... oard-27252

I noticed the fins are very small on this board, did you stay with the standard fins or did you change them out?

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:59 pm

what about the Ocean Rodeo Origin, 142x47 for bigger guys, say over 200lbs? https://oceanrodeo.com/kiteboarding/boa ... in/?b=8088

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:44 pm

justbob wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:26 pm
See if you can try out a Shinn King Gee.
+1 for the King Gee, perfect board for what you want.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:39 pm

If you can try to loose some weight.
1. Even in my range of between 81 and 86 kilos I like the feel in Kitesurfing more when I am at the bottom of my weight range.
2. I feel more energetic when I am lighter.
3. The car consumes less fuel.
4. You will live longer (as well will your joints). Trust me I studied ageing...

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:06 am

Who says it's weight that needs to be dropped?
At 12 percent body fat the only thing I'm going to drop is a drop kick to your head!
Thanks for the informative post idiot.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:18 am

stenner wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:59 pm
what about the Ocean Rodeo Origin, 142x47 for bigger guys, say over 200lbs? https://oceanrodeo.com/kiteboarding/boa ... in/?b=8088
I had one of the first gen for a year. Also have an Axis Limited 140x43...so a tough comparison :D the difference in bottom end wasn't great enough for to make it worthwhile, and when powered, it's size and weight became noticeable. Basically, TTs aren't a light wind option for me unless they're monsters like a door, then I'd rather ride the foil.

I'm wondering if anyone our size has tried the Epic Oxygen?

Return to “Kitesurfing”