Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Rebel Evo or Naish Pivot

Forum for kitesurfers
Bear74
Rare Poster
Gear: Currently looking to buy new kites.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Rebel Evo or Naish Pivot

Postby Bear74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 am

Been out of the sport for 6 years due to living in a non kite area, and last kites were 2009 Rhino's. About to drop a lot of cash on a two kite quiver with at least one and possibly two boards. Want to make the right choice so any ideas or comments will be much appreciated.

Moved back to the coast so its 70% beach action and 30% flat water.

Always loved boosting big on twintips but as i get older and having seen the dramas my father went through with knee replacements maybe its time to tone it down and experiment with boards such as surfboards and perhaps a foil. Will always have a TT though.

Looking at a slingshot converter 5'4 for waves and foil combo riding (it has a removable foil and can be used as a straight board), and a twin tip for flat water and nuking surf. Cannot find any reviews for it yet.

The North Rebel by all accounts is the king and boosts big with lots of hang time. I think you have to ride the Evo hard and aggressive to get the same boost and hang. The kites look good but what are the bad things about the Rebel? All I read are glowing reviews. Does it have any weak points or areas it doesn't ride well at?

The dark horse that I have seen a few guys on, and when I talk to them they all love it are the Naish Pivots. They describe it as a one kite all rounder, good for surf, power, speed and the construction that I have seen is bombproof. The only thing that holds me back is that it may not boost as well as the North, but then again if it excels in other areas then perhaps starting to accept I am getting old and going easier on the body is better than going out overpowered with the sole aim of going big. Any comments about boosting the pivot? And what are the negatives.

Where I ride it is anywhere from 10 to 30 knots. All riding hooked in.

If anyone can give me advice or comments on these kites and what they would suggest, it would be much appreciated. So much has changed since I last had kites with so many different varieties specific to purposes.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Re: North Rebel Evo or Naish Pivot

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:28 am

I love the Pivot, I like the Rebel a lot. The Rebel jumps more like an old school "c" kite in my opinion and has massive hang time. The Pivot is by far the best all around do whatever you want kite on the market right now. It jumps great and lets you down like you are landing on pillows. It is stable and maintains power through transitions like no other kite I have flown. The power is always there.

I am also a little avers to fifth lines sine I like a minimalist approach to kites and bars.

I recommend the ATB with the Pivot.

Of course I love the Click bar that North offers. It is like a Naked Bar, bare bones with only what you need.

My perfect set-up is the North Click bar on a Pivot.

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:44 am

Very impressive is the versatility and range on the Pivot. It is a very nice jumper as well as a good drifter in the waves. The lowend is truly one of the best i've ever had.

Bear74
Rare Poster

Postby Bear74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks guys. I wonder if its possible to get a 12 Pivot for low end and a 9 or 8 rebel for high wind boosting. Then perhaps the North bar to run both with. Otherwise a 12 and 8 pivot or a 12 and 9 in the Rebel is my most likely choice. Not sure about the Evo yet it seems to be a Rebel that caters for those who want to unhook.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:01 pm

I suspect the reality of 12 pivot 9 rebel would be a pain. Converting the bar to 5th line is not an insignificant time period, I suspect it would wear thin even if it is only an extra 60 seconds each time you swap over.

My experience of 12m Rebels and Evos is that they are best from the mid point of their wind range. For me, the steering is too slow and lifeless at the very low end for both. For that reason the pivot might make the better big kite as my (limited to a test ride only) experience is that it has much more reactive turning. The Evo does boost really nicely though. Its also good fun in the top half of its wind range. 12 Pivot, 9 Evo might be interesting. Both fly as 4 lines too.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:54 pm

I fly Rebels and Pivots and Neos. You asked for negatives for the Rebel. Biggest one for me it is always hunting for the edge of the wind window. Great for flying upwind, but not so great for riding waves down the line or downwinders. Some people will say the 5th line is a negative, but I don't. It is the ultimate safety for nuking winds. Jumping and huge wind range on Rebel are unmatched by anything I have flown,

I'm not as pleased with the Pivot. Weak jumper in my opinion. I think the Neo is a better option for waves (and jumps better) but try to demo or borrow each before you buy.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:18 pm

12m north rebel with 55-60cm frankenbar and low Y - awesome low end and super agile. In 12m wind 14-15Kn it will not drift well, so easy to drop in the waves. But huge depower on tap is a big bonus. Any Rebel will drift fine with wind over 18-20kn.
Rebels take a long time to relaunch because they need to get WAYYY to the edge of wind window before the take off. For me it's the main drawback. How do the Pivots relaunch? And how is their depower? Thanks

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:03 am

Rebel is more a specific kite for big boosting airs, old school stuff. The pivot tries to do it all and does nothing particularly well, although it is superior in the surf. That being said I do everything on the rebel except unhook. The rebel has many generations of development and it shows, super refined.

Depends on what feel you like as well. North and naish have idiosyncratic feels through their range.

Best to try both.

Bear74
Rare Poster

Postby Bear74 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks for the advice. Going to look at a 12m pivot and 8 or 9 eve combo I think. Just waiting for a day to demo one but hard with no wind here at the moment. Lots of people love their rebels, while lots of people love things about the pivots. Kites have changed a lot since I was last involved.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:09 am

... just to add a bit more to the subject.

All three are good kites but it depends on what trait you prefer to which kite is best suited to you.

Ironic as is seems but the Rebel is the closest to the old Rhino's out of the 3, despite the Pivot and Evo being closer in design ie delta design kite with bridles.

If you want similar to your old stuff but with obvious modern feel then the Rebel will be your choice. Rebel and Rhino's had brilliant hang and in my opinion, easy to jump.

But, as others have mentioned, the Rebels aren't the best at waves or looping down the line style of kiting so this is where the other 2 are better but like anything, given enough time, you can make it work for you.

Top end on the Rebel and Evo's are out standing but I found the Pivot not as good for me. I'm a heavy rider so maybe lighter riders feel differently but the Pivot power was a touch too on and off but worse still, when a lull comes through, the Pivot's bar felt sluggish and not direct at all, even getting heavy. No big deal as once the wind came back up, all was good.

Oh, and the other thing, bar feedback is excellent on the Rebel, great on the Evo and not so excellent on the Pivot. But given a week on any of them, you'll get any of them to work well for you.

Try before you buy if possible.

Cheers,

Robbie :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”