Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gruissan/Leucate end of march

Forum for kitesurfers
BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gruissan/Leucate end of march

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Ridezebigone nailed it!
My best advice is that if there is Tramuntana, It's better to go to Leucate/Gruissan spots, but if the forecast is dead calm, we have more chances of thermal wind here in Sant Pere.

This is just what i do :thumb:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks for all the info. Honestly, doesn't sound that great for kiting, but you take what you got.

RideZeBigOne
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gruissan
Leucate
Canet en Rousillon
Narbonne
Style: Strapless wave & freestyle
Gear: HB-Surfkite Legion 5m²
HB-Surfkite Legion 7m²
HB-Surfkite Legion 9m²
Anti Biax 5"2
Anti Biax 5"0
Foil Zeeko spirfire XLW
Brand Affiliation: HB-Surfkite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RideZeBigOne » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:20 pm

TomW wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 am
Thanks for all the info. Honestly, doesn't sound that great for kiting, but you take what you got.
I agree with you but I can tell you that if you can ride on Tramontana on these spots, you can ride easily anywhere over the world :lol:
Tramotana is gusty but blows almost everyday , check this profile 'Annie' , she's a retired windsurfer lady and there is not a lot of day off in her calendar :o : http://windsurf-sessions.eg2.fr/cal_use ... 6&limite=1

So, any chance to see you on one of these spot soon ?

regards

RzBo

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 pm

I also think so. If u are able to kite with tramontana then kiting with another kind of wind is going to feel yiu are in Maui :rollgrin:

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the detailed spot descriptions.
I still find it a bit astonishing that you guys go out in strong and gusty offshore wind. I can imagine that you get amazing flat water conditions, but do you not have lots of problems due to the conditions?
Flat water is often what freestylers crave, and if you do tricks chances of your lines getting messed up increase. Lots of self rescuing in strong offshore going on?
In regard to Gruissan Port la nouvelle: I understand that after passing the Grazel, and going out to the beach, one should drive another 4 kilometres on the beach. Is that due to wind coming in less gusty at the point 4 km from the beach entrance? Do you need 4 wheel drive or is the sand manageable? If something happens there, you are of course in offshore at a spot that is only reachable via the beach, 4 km away from a road that in itself is quite bad as I understand?

Unfortunately it looks like rain and a temperature drop the coming weekend, so I am not counting on those thermals.

RideZeBigOne
Rare Poster
Leucate
Canet en Rousillon
Narbonne
HB-Surfkite Legion 7m²
HB-Surfkite Legion 9m²
Anti Biax 5"2
Anti Biax 5"0
Foil Zeeko spirfire XLW

Postby RideZeBigOne » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi Bernie,
BernieTomic1 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 pm
I can imagine that you get amazing flat water conditions, but do you not have lots of problems due to the conditions?
Some rules to follow : do not ride alone and release your kite if situation go wrong (deathloop, broken line,...).Do not obstinate to self rescue because wind push you very fast away from the beach, release your kite and swim... Do not ride if you do not trust your equipment reliability.
There are some riders with a very good level, and they may catch your kite and bring back your kite but it is better if you rider with some friends because they will help you quicker.
There is good solidarity on this spot but do not abuse of people kindness, they may catch your kite once or twice but not more ;-)

Water high increase slowly on this spot, so you have about 1m deep over 50m. So ride as close as you can from the beach.
BernieTomic1 wrote:
Flat water is often what freestylers crave, and if you do tricks chances of your lines getting messed up increase. Lots of self rescuing in strong offshore going on?
If wind is strong (more than 25-30kt), it is quite impossible to self rescue (swim against the wind is difficult), so you have to release your kite and hope that friend can bring back your kite.
BernieTomic1 wrote:
In regard to Gruissan Port la nouvelle: I understand that after passing the Grazel, and going out to the beach, one should drive another 4 kilometres on the beach. Is that due to wind coming in less gusty at the point 4 km from the beach entrance? Do you need 4 wheel drive or is the sand manageable? If something happens there, you are of course in offshore at a spot that is only reachable via the beach, 4 km away from a road that in itself is quite bad as I understand?
Road do not start from Grazel but from the camping (south side of the harbor) : here is the trace https://goo.gl/photos/qmjDpJoJbDBFjzoz8
You don't need a 4 wheel drive but road can be less or more flooded (depends on rain or if there is SE wind -> with this orientation sea flood the beach and you can go to VN, you have to wait few days that wind dry the beach)

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Unfortunately it looks like rain and a temperature drop the coming weekend, so I am not counting on those thermals.
If tramontana blows, it (almost) never rain. Rain stops few kilometer in the land and it is usually shiny on the coast.
You may have SE wind on the next week end, but forecast for SE is very random ... forecast can vary a lot, it is quite good only 24h before. With actual forecast, you may ride with SE wind, so VN will not be an option, you should go to the south (barcarès, Canet),

You can check in real time wind with website : http://www.winds-up.com/ (last hour is not free)

yesterday forecast were about 70km/h, but we met 40kt ... https://vimeo.com/209057039

Regards,
RzBo

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:20 pm

I imagine lots of loose kites on the run from Gruissan towards Tunisia. :-)
Never tried or even saw an offshore wind free kite rescue.
You are using smaller kites, but I still imagine that to be tricky.

Interesting that the rainy forecast typically is incorrect!
That you ride without rain most of the time is definitely a big plus.

Local guys don't really ride in the étangs in Gruissan?

RideZeBigOne
Rare Poster
Leucate
Canet en Rousillon
Narbonne
HB-Surfkite Legion 7m²
HB-Surfkite Legion 9m²
Anti Biax 5"2
Anti Biax 5"0
Foil Zeeko spirfire XLW

Postby RideZeBigOne » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Yes, there are some kites on their way to tunisia, not all kite has been saved ;-)
I personnaly have to release my kite on this spot (death loop after failed trick), it has disappeared on the horizon but I found a fisherman (it was summer, more chance to found a boat on the coast). I don't know how he found my kite but at the end of the day the fisherman bring back my kite ! It was inexpected !

I know that some kitesurfers ride in mateille (as big as a puddle lol), but there is some hills upwind so wind is gusty. I think that grazel is not allowed (harbor entrance)
Ayrolles is forbidden (water is 30cm deep...)
This étangs is allowed (https://goo.gl/maps/8AjyQatED2r), there is a kiteschool, but water is 30cm and with mud. Wind is not as good as in VN but it is safer.

I recommand La Nautique (https://goo.gl/maps/Gk6RmrcpW3D2) instead of these spot if you don't wont to ride offshore (that I understand very well, no doubt it is dangerous!).

When do you arrive at Gruissan and how long is your stay ?

FrenchPascal
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: France - Le Dossen
Style: all style

Postby FrenchPascal » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 pm

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:19 am

Maybe you drive a couple of 100km further towards the Ebro Delta....
dude :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”