TwinTip Fin Size Selection

Forum for kitesurfers
kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

TwinTip Fin Size Selection

Postby kitegirls » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Is there a formula to fin size selection? Not sure if I should go 1.5, 2 or 2.25?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: TwinTip Fin Size Selection

Postby edt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm

it's all about personal preference. Try to borrow some friends boards that have those fin sizes first see if you like it. 2.25 inches is really really sticky, it tracks hard, 1.5 inches is still pretty tall. I run 0.5 inch fins, but you use what you like.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Nobile T5 came with 55 mm and 40 mm fins. I like the stable feeling of 55 mm fins, the board goes like on tracks. It's a little bit trickier to change from heel to toe side but I don't do it often.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 pm

I have gone from 60 to 50 to 35 (?) and the smaller the better if you are comfortable with your edge control imo. As a beginner a long time ago I did like em bigger.
On surfboards I tend to like em medium to large also...
Mostly preference really

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 pm

something between 1.5 and 2" is the default for most boards. bigger = more grip but less easy turning. i usually ride bigger fins because it's usually super choppy here, the extra fin size helps go upwind a little easier. In flat water you dont even need fins. Beyond that, edt has a good response.

ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Has thanked: 0

Postby ichabod » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:17 am

I think it depends a lot on the conditions your ride in. With choppy water and/or stronger winds, big fins help hold an edge and take some of the strain off your legs. With small fins you need to edge the board harder which I find more tiring when overpowered. I ride 1.5 inch fins for flat water spots but have started experimenting with longer ones for boosting + stormy conditions.. when you are going fast and trying to hold maximum power to jump, the longer fins make a surprising difference. The added bonus is I can handle a longer session as it uses less energy.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Nobody mentioned this so maybe this was just a thing for me....

Too big of a fin at too high a speed tends to "lock up" the tail and send you downwind pretty hard.

My 144x43 Cabrinha "Custom" came with large 45mm (1.77inches) fins. It was may high wind board as it had tons of rocker and I am 100kg. When I got up to around 25mph-30mph winds with gusts over that, it would send me slightly downwind on hyperspeed without the ability to point back upwind. The tail just seemed stuck and I was unable to even step on the edge hard to rail back upwind.

My 146x46 Cabrinha "Plasma" light wind board came with smaller 35mm (1.38inches). Given its use when mostly underpowered, I never had any problems with the fins "locking up" even when I believed I was at hyperspeed conditions. But the light wind upwind progress on this board was not as good as advertised, for me.

The solution to the above problem was to put the bigger (45mm) fins on the bigger board and the smaller (35mm) fins on the smaller board. This turned out to work great. It improved upwind on the lightwind "Plasma" and eliminated an out of control top end of the smaller "Custom".

I have a hard time understanding why designers put small fins on light wind boards as that is opposite to my experience.

For a few years now, I have been riding directionals exclusively so my TT knowledge is fading.....so take this advice with a grain of salt.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Fin size is all pref when it comes to TT's. I only use wake fins so small .75" or smaller. Or I don't use fins at all. I like a loose skatey feeling.

Return to “Kitesurfing”