Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moving to San Fran answer have some questions.

Forum for kitesurfers
nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Moving to San Fran answer have some questions.

Postby nick14 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:53 am

Hi guys,

I'm moving to San Fran at the end of June and I'm looking for as much knowledge as I can get in regards to all things kiting related.
I've been reading up and it seems like the two spots I'll most likely be kiting are Crissy Fields (seems pretty unforgiving) and Ocean Beach but if anyone has any other recommendations that would be great. I'm in for all sorts of kiting (I just had my second session on a foil) but mainly twin tip. Love to boost off wave kickers, flat water, small waves on a directional.

So I have a few questions
1. How does everyone get around with there gear? Public transport, car, bike, keep it at lockers at the beach, members of the boat clubs......? Looking for comments from people that foil, surf and twintip.
2. If you do travel with your gear do you normally need to take a few kites to the beach or is it pretty consistent with reliable forecasts?
3. Which forecast apps/websites are the best and which stations give the most accurate readings.
4. Where do you guys live in San Fran? Do you live where you do due to been close to the water/wind?
5. Which spots do you guys like the most and frequent the most? Which are most reliable for a kite from about 2pm-5pm.
Cheers
Nick

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Re: Moving to San Fran answer have some questions.

Postby SSK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 am

Have you checked out Bay Area Kiteboarding?
http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/
Pretty active site. Active forum, maps, transportation info, etc.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 am

Welcome to SF!
You will Probably need a car. I generally have 2 kites with me. The forecasts are pretty good but conditions can change quickly. Use the ikitesurf paid membership - its worth it - human forecasts 3 times a day plus wind meters all over the bay. You will learn slot about the wind patterns in the bay. Most used kite is a 9/10.

There are many spots around but the main ones: crissy, third Ave , Sherman island (awesome), ocean beach ( big heavy waves) , Waddell, toll plaza , alameda (wind is inconsistent). You can read about them in the bayareakiteboarding website. The wind is generally best between 2-5. Crissy is a tricky spot especially in July-aug because of the fog but I kite there a lot and it's awesome for boosting of swell kickers.

Enjoy

nick14
Medium Poster
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 am

SSK wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 am
Have you checked out Bay Area Kiteboarding?
http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/
Pretty active site. Active forum, maps, transportation info, etc.
Yup got the info about the kite spots from there. I'll have another look for the other info.

nick14
Medium Poster
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 am

rleshem wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 am
Welcome to SF!
You will Probably need a car. I generally have 2 kites with me. The forecasts are pretty good but conditions can change quickly. Use the ikitesurf paid membership - its worth it - human forecasts 3 times a day plus wind meters all over the bay. You will learn slot about the wind patterns in the bay. Most used kite is a 9/10.

There are many spots around but the main ones: crissy, third Ave , Sherman island (awesome), ocean beach ( big heavy waves) , Waddell, toll plaza , alameda (wind is inconsistent). You can read about them in the bayareakiteboarding website. The wind is generally best between 2-5. Crissy is a tricky spot especially in July-aug because of the fog but I kite there a lot and it's awesome for boosting of swell kickers.

Enjoy
Bugger, I was trying not to get a car as i here driving in San Fran sucks.
I've down sized my quiver to an 8 and 11m north evos so hopefully that will work, I'm 75kgs.
I'll check out the I Kitesurf membership.

Thanks for your info.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:35 pm

nick14 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 am
rleshem wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 am
Welcome to SF!

Enjoy
Bugger, I was trying not to get a car as i here driving in San Fran sucks.
I've down sized my quiver to an 8 and 11m north evos so hopefully that will work, I'm 75kgs.
I'll check out the I Kitesurf membership.

Thanks for your info.
There is wind somewhere almost everyday in Bay Area. Pretty epic IMO.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:15 pm

nick14 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:53 am
Hi guys,
I'm moving to San Fran at the end of June and I'm looking for as much knowledge as I can get in regards to all things kiting related.
I've been reading up and it seems like the two spots I'll most likely be kiting are Crissy Fields (seems pretty unforgiving) and Ocean Beach but if anyone has any other recommendations that would be great. I'm in for all sorts of kiting (I just had my second session on a foil) but mainly twin tip. Love to boost off wave kickers, flat water, small waves on a directional.

Most of your questons can be answered by perusing bayareakiteboarding.com.
Get an account if you are going to move in The City, here are some short answers:

"San Fran" is a term visitors call San Francisco. We Bay Area locals call it The City. Its a dead giveaway if you visit here and may get mugged by pickpockets.
So I have a few questions
1. How does everyone get around with there gear? Public transport, car, bike, keep it at lockers at the beach, members of the boat clubs......? Looking for comments from people that foil, surf and twintip.
Its difficult to not have a car in San Francisco, but possible. You can get in touch with other kiters and form a ride share group.
I believe most people carry their gear with them all the time.
2. If you do travel with your gear do you normally need to take a few kites to the beach or is it pretty consistent with reliable forecasts?
When I drive to kite, I take two kites and two boards, sizes based on forecast for that day. Winds here during the summer are consistent and forecasts are reliable.

In my home spot (I live three miles away from the Sacramento Delta), I take one kite and one board. Summer winds in the river blows the whole day.
3. Which forecast apps/websites are the best and which stations give the most accurate readings.
ikitesurf
4. Where do you guys live in San Fran? Do you live where you do due to been close to the water/wind?
This depends on where you work and how much commute you want to do.
I used to live and work in Santa Cruz, so I primarily kited Waddell Creek.
Now I'm in Contra Costa County, East Bay, so I kite primarily in the San Joaquin river/Suisun Bay areas, and drive to other spots on weekend trips.
5. Which spots do you guys like the most and frequent the most? Which are most reliable for a kite from about 2pm-5pm.
Cheers
Nick
Different spots, different conditions, and that's a loaded question. Wind season here starts early Spring through late Summer, but year round is possible if you don't mind driving and chasing the wind.

Winter Kiting:
We kite before and after a storm, spots vary because of shifting winds. Advanced rider conditons only. Winter season here is more known for its epic surf conditions. Kite at the coast (Waddell, Ocean Beach) if you have balls of steel and not afraid to die. You see people kite out there at the breaks, most of the time they have support from other riders. You will be rewarded with amazing kiteable surf breaks.
You can also go snow kiting, safer, we have epic snow conditions now due to lots of rain and snow last winter.

Spring Kiting:
Alameda, Third Avenue, Berkely, Doran are your safest bets. Coastal kiting gives you epic surfable kiting spots.

Summer kiting:
Winds are generated by thermal conditions. Hot weather inland, cold winds by the coast creates venturi type winds that blows through the Bay area much of the day.
Sherman, Crissy, 3rd Avenue, Coast, Berkely, Stinson

Fall:
Winds start becoming unreliable, but still kiteable. Sherman, Crissy, 3rd Avenue, Coast. Watch out for signs of wind shutdown as you will end up swimming.

One last thing. The Bay Area has reliable winds, but a lot of the spots are not beginner friendly. Alameda is the only official beginner beach here, and there are restrictions for teaching there. If you have beginner buddies with you when you first go out. Don't be afraid to ask guidance from the locals whichever beach you end up initially checking out.

nick14
Medium Poster
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:10 pm

thanks guys,

Some really good info in there.
reyrivera wrote: "San Fran" is a term visitors call San Francisco. We Bay Area locals call it The City. Its a dead giveaway if you visit here and may get mugged by pickpockets.
unfortunately i don't think the Aussie accent will help either but i'll call it the "City" anyway.

I've been kiting for about 5 or so years now and all over the world. The "city" kite spots (Crissy) seem to be written up as quite challenging with all sorts of wind and water movements which i haven't really come in contact with while kiting. i'll definitely be chatting to the local and trying to understand the situation before i go in.

cheers

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:40 pm

I hear "the city" is realllllly expensive to live in these days...

kingrat84
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: tarifa, tobago

Postby kingrat84 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Tone wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:40 pm
I hear "the city" is realllllly expensive to live in these days...
...this link might be helpful to avoid the "shitty" parts as well :o
http://mochimachine.org/wasteland/

Return to “Kitesurfing”