Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy of a GW shark attack

Postby SLiiCK » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 am

socommk23 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:42 pm
Sudden fondness for crappy uk waters.
Definitely we've only got the cold and muddy water(Brean/Weston) to worry about!
Good read though, was out surfing in California 25 years ago it never occurred( naive then) to me you got great whites out there until the day after I had been out at San Ofre they caught a 15ft great white a few miles up the beach but attacks are few and far between but must have been absolutely terrifying when it happened to this guy.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:52 am

SLiiCK wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 am
socommk23 wrote:
Definitely we've only got the cold and muddy water(Brean/Weston) to worry about!
Good read though, was out surfing in California 25 years ago it never occurred( naive then) to me you got great whites out there until the day after I had been out at San Ofre they caught a 15ft great white a few miles up the beach but attacks are few and far between but must have been absolutely terrifying when it happened to this guy.
I buggy at brean....the mud puts me off surfing there. Lol. Uphill looks ok at high tide ;) otherwise i stick to the solent.

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot/Airush/Eclipse

Postby SLiiCK » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 am

socommk23 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:52 am
SLiiCK wrote:
socommk23 wrote:
I buggy at brean....the mud puts me off surfing there. Lol. Uphill looks ok at high tide ;) otherwise i stick to the solent.
I know been kitesurfing down there since 2001 Brean/Weston you sometimes come out like a chocolate ice cream and need a good hose down but never got ill from the water but it doesn't always look tempting but damn good wind there :thumb:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:30 pm

SLiiCK wrote:

Good read though, was out surfing in California 25 years ago it never occurred( naive then) to me you got great whites out there until the day after I had been out at San Ofre they caught a ...
Are you talking about San Onofre ; North of camp Pendleton ?
One of my roommates, was a State lifeguard at that beach, (1989) ; we use to surf there and
Trestles , at night, under the full moon !! FUN Days !!!

Bille

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle

Postby SLiiCK » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Bille wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:30 pm
SLiiCK wrote:

Good read though, was out surfing in California 25 years ago it never occurred( naive then) to me you got great whites out there until the day after I had been out at San Ofre they caught a ...
Are you talking about San Onofre ; North of camp Pendleton ?
One of my roommates, was a State lifeguard at that beach, (1989) ; we use to surf there and
Trestles , at night, under the full moon !! FUN Days !!!

Bille
That must have been good it was San Onofre long time since I was there always get the spelling wrong was asking a surfer when out what were the 2 domes on the beach not realising they were a nuclear power station,me and my wife hired a pick up truck and travelled down the west coast bought a surfboard from San Clemente chucked it in the back and had the best time ever finishing off travelling to Las Vegas in the truck for the last 2 days a time to remember :thumb:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 pm

SLiiCK wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 pm

That must have been good it was San Onofre long time since I was there always get the spelling wrong was asking a surfer when out what were the 2 domes on the beach not realising they were a nuclear power station,me and my wife hired a pick up truck and travelled down the west coast bought a surfboard from San Clemente chucked it in the back and had the best time ever finishing off travelling to Las Vegas in the truck for the last 2 days a time to remember :thumb:
I lived in Carlsbad, (south of Pendleton) at the time ; sold HG rides at Torry-Pines,
La Jolla about 200 days a year, just North of San Diego from 1980 to 1990 , and
surfed Blacks Beach below those cliffs on the mornings that i was there for Hang gliding.
Lots of tourist-girls from all over the world to choose from, and good food & Fun !!
All that time spent there , doing that ; it did essentially, ((SQUAT/Nada)) for my Work-ethic :(
so i headed up to Canada and barn-stormed about, selling rides around BC for another 5 years.

All that time spent in Southern Cali beaches ; i NEVER seen ANY of those GW sharks . :D
When i moved to Las Vegas at the end of the 90's ; i read that a guy got eaten by a GW
near Del Mar Ca, that same year, (Poor Guy) .

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:53 pm

"Sailors" who can't haul in a man overboard?
popeye.jpg
Send them this:
http://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/cr ... echniques/

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:05 am

Bloody hell! Glad he got through that to tell the tale...

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle

Postby SLiiCK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:31 pm

Bille wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 pm
SLiiCK wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 pm

I lived in Carlsbad, (south of Pendleton) at the time ; sold HG rides at Torry-Pines,
La Jolla about 200 days a year, just North of San Diego from 1980 to 1990 , and
surfed Blacks Beach below those cliffs on the mornings that i was there for Hang gliding.
Lots of tourist-girls from all over the world to choose from, and good food & Fun !!
All that time spent there , doing that ; it did essentially, ((SQUAT/Nada)) for my Work-ethic :(
so i headed up to Canada and barn-stormed about, selling rides around BC for another 5 years.

All that time spent in Southern Cali beaches ; i NEVER seen ANY of those GW sharks . :D
When i moved to Las Vegas at the end of the 90's ; i read that a guy got eaten by a GW
near Del Mar Ca, that same year, (Poor Guy) .

Bille
Blimey Billy never a dull moment in your life good on ya live life to the full :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”